WW'S COASTERMANIA Photo TR

New! Cedar Point Day Two (CoasterMania) on page 5
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Alan Schilke is my "man crush".

WW'S COASTERMANIA Photo TR

Postby Woodie Warrior » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:22 pm

ORLANDO TRIP 2013
1. Page 1- SeaWorld Orlando (July 27, 2013)
2. Page 1- Universal's Islands of Adventure (July 28, 2013)
3. Page 1- EPCOT (July 29, 2013)
4. Page 1- Magic Kingdom: Day One (July 30, 2013)
5. Page 1- Disney's Hollywood Studios (July 31, 2013)
6. Page 2- Magic Kingdom: Day Two (August 1, 2013)

SILVER DOLLAR CITY THROUGH THE SEASONS
7. Page 2- Labor Day 2013
8. Page 3- Harvest Festival 2013
9. Page 3- Old Time Christmas 2013

MIDWEST SUMMER ADVENTURES 2014
10. Page 3- Six Flags St. Louis Opening Weekend (April 6, 2014)'
11. Page 3- Worlds of Fun (May 17, 2014)
12. Page 3- HoliWood Nights at Holiday World: Day One (May 30, 2014)
13. Page 3- HoliWood Nights at Holiday World: Day Two (May 31, 2014)
14. Page 4- Kentucky Kingdom (June 1, 2014)
15. Page 4- Cedar Point: Day One (June 5, 2014)
16. Page 5- Cedar Point: Day Two- CoasterMania (June 6, 2014)

Coming Soon!
-Kings Island (Coasting for Kids)
-Wisconsin Dells/SFGAm
Last edited by Woodie Warrior on Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:12 pm.
Top 10: 1. Outlaw Run 2. The Voyage 3. Millennium Force 4. Maverick 5. El Toro 6. Thunderbird 7. Powder Keg 8. Lightning Run 9. Raging Bull 10. Goliath (SFGAm)
Click here for my trip reports!

SeaWorld Orlando (July 27, 2013)

Postby Woodie Warrior » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:26 pm

After a day of horrible flight delays and boringness, we finally arrived in Orlando. Our first day was spent at SeaWorld, and it was a great place to get Quick Queue and have a stress free day. I'm not exaggerating, Quick Queue is great. It's cheap, convenient, and it makes it easy to reride rides and still see the shows.
102_4311.JPG
Anti-protesters put a smile on our faces

102_4312.JPG
We are here!

102_4314.JPG
A shot of Manta: Our first ride of the day

102_4323.JPG
The manta ray exhibit is fun to look at

102_4330.JPG
We meet puck in Antarctica

102_4334.JPG
Random hide and seek room is random

102_4342.JPG
The highlight of a ride that was "meh"

102_4345.JPG
The nets are starting to come down at the exhibit

102_4352.JPG
The rock work in the area is right up there with Universal's and Disney's

102_4353.JPG
We made those cool "Mr. Potato Head: Penguin Edition"-looking cups and used them here

102_4354.JPG
We ate here for lunch. Chinese restaurant is like Panda Express. Food was okay.

102_4357.JPG
Blue Horizons time!

102_4358.JPG
Awesome dolphins, bad plot. The beginning feels like a Barbie Live! show

102_4371.JPG
The bird people arrive

102_4376.JPG
YAY! The dolphins are back!

102_4378.JPG
The best show at the park, at least IMO

102_4379.JPG
Journey to Atlantis was okay, but dark ride sections sucked and nobody really got wet

102_4381.JPG
Kraken was fun and loopy, but somewhat rough

102_4383.JPG
Clyde and Seamore are about to take pirate island

102_4387.JPG
Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirate's life fo- wait, wrong park

102_4393.JPG
Party time!

102_4395.JPG
Time for a Star Tours-wannabe ride. This whole exhibit/attraction should be the next to be revamped.

102_4403.JPG
One Ocean

102_4404.JPG
Whale pic 1

102_4411.JPG
Whale pic 2

102_4420.JPG
Whale pic 3 that looks like the One Ocean logo
Last edited by Woodie Warrior on Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:30 pm.
Top 10: 1. Outlaw Run 2. The Voyage 3. Millennium Force 4. Maverick 5. El Toro 6. Thunderbird 7. Powder Keg 8. Lightning Run 9. Raging Bull 10. Goliath (SFGAm)

Universal's Islands of Adventure (July 28, 2013)

Postby Woodie Warrior » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:36 pm

It was Universal day! We chose to just visit one park instead of trying to cram both into one day, and we had a good time. After paying for their their ridiculously overpriced unlimited Express Pass (which worked fine, just cost way too much), we headed in and had a great time.

102_4425.JPG
Entrance sign shot

102_4426.JPG
We paid for preferred. Throughout our trip we were laughing at how much SF's parking costs compared to Orlando's.

102_4427.JPG
It sucks that it takes 15-ish minutes to walk to the front gate of the park once your car is parked.

102_4430.JPG
We didn't eat there, but DANG that is a big Hard Rock Cafe

102_4431.JPG
What a cool park icon. Not a Hogwarts or Spaceship Earth, but better than the Sorcerer's Hat for sure.

102_4432.JPG
While we hurried to get in line for Forbidden Journey, we took in the views of Seuss Landing and the Lost Continent.

102_4433.JPG
We are in Hogsmeade! Definitely the most amazing themed land ever, or at least in the US.

102_4436.JPG
Hogwarts. In real life. Truly awesome.

Now let me talk about HPFJ. The ride is truly spectacular and leaves you wondering how the heck they made the transitions between the screen and the real sets possible. But the queue wasn't anything special to me. Having the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo area pretty much pitch black except for the light coming from the door makes it hard to see anyone returning from the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo. The portrait room was way too small compared to the movie and some real or even projected moving staircases would have been cool in the ceiling. And the portraits weren't amazing or anything. They didn't look anything like paintings, they looked like plain TVs. Either way, the Wizarding World of Harry Potter is simply spectacular and super detailed.

102_4445.JPG
The mediocre portrait room

102_4450.JPG
The highlights of the queue were the Sorting Hat and Dumbledore.

After the ride and the delicious frozen Butterbeer, we headed towards Dragon Challenge. It was closed temporarily for mechanical issues. So we headed Mythos to eat. A great choice. The food was the best theme park food I've had and the prices were cheap (all our meals were $10 or less). The atmosphere and themeing were spectacular. Definitely the best thing in the Lost Continent.

102_4454.JPG
Mythos is the most beautiful restaurant I've ever eaten at.

102_4459.JPG
Details in the rock work inside Mythos

We headed back to ride both sides of Dragon Challenge. They were okay, but I don't see what is so great about them. Fireball was only slightly better than Batman, and I felt Horntail wasn't nearly as good as Batman. Maybe the people who voted for them in the polls had ridden them when they were dueling?

Afterwards, we headed to an attraction that had okay special effects and a great facade, but was too long and had a horrible script. You know what I'm talking about...

102_4462.JPG
Yes, Poseidon. The worst attraction in the park.

102_4461.JPG
What a great facade for the worst attraction in the park.

Well, I'm glad we are done with that. Now on to the good stuff. Seuss Landing!

102_4465.JPG
Back to Seuss Landing, the most fun to look at place in the park. The area lacks an E-ticket though.

102_4471.JPG
When the Trolley ride was down, we rode Caro-Seuss-el!

102_4473.JPG
Cat in the Hat was a ride that starts out whimsical, then turns into a demented fun house. It was almost creepy...

After those rides we went back and rode the Trolley ride, which was okay but kind of boring. Now to my favorite area! (ride-wise, not themeing-wise, because WWoHP was definitely the best in that category)

102_4474.JPG
Favorite coaster in Orlando. But the parts after the MCBR were slow and boring. Still a great ride though.

102_4476.JPG
Best ride in the park. Totally blew me away. Even if you take your 3D glasses off, the ride still feels real.

102_4477.JPG
Let us talk about this thing.

Dudley Do-Right has mixed opinions from me. The ride was tied with Splash Mountain flume wise. The themeing was unimpressive and mediocre compared to Splash Mountain. Plus, we got into a log jam twice while riding, once before the final lift hill and once before the unload station. The themeing of the area was definitely outdated. How about a Nickelodeon takeover of Toon Lagoon? Spongebob would be a nice fit for the area.

After the ride we headed to Jurassic Park. I laughed and realized the only themeing was a bunch of trees/bushes. This area needs TLC and a complete redo twice.

Anyways, JPRA was down for weather so we chilled out and ate at the Discovery Center. We went back to shop at WWoHP for a few minutes then headed out. The day was okay, but I feel there is something about Disney that makes me favor all four Disney parks over Universal. But I like UOR and definitely want to return soon.

102_4481.JPG
I'll leave you all with this picture of Hogwarts in the rain. Bye Universal!
Last edited by Woodie Warrior on Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:37 pm.

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Re: Woodie Warrior's Trip Reports Thread

Postby 1pizza14 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:38 pm

Was The Hulk rough on your visit? I rode it in March and was very surprised on how rough it was compared to previous years.

Postby Woodie Warrior » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:39 pm

It wasn't rough at all. Kraken was much rougher.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby CPmillenia94 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:57 pm

Total opposite on my visit, kraken was incredibly smooth and rerideable. You may have just gotten a bad row and/or been sitting in an edge seat. Both incredible coasters though. Hulk beats kraken by a slim margin for me though..

Postby Woodie Warrior » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:03 pm

Kraken was totally rerideable, but I thought the first half of the ride had a little bit of headbanging. Hulk was better IMO, and so were Manta and Dragons.

Because we had Quick Queue we were assigned second row and I think we rode twice. I rode on both ends of the row.

EPCOT (July 29, 2013)

Postby Woodie Warrior » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:33 pm

102_4492.JPG
We are at EPCOT! I can already feel the excitement ;)

Anyways, we got in and decided to ride Spaceship Earth, and then get Fast Passes for Soarin'. Spaceship Earth was definitely a good ride, and the "Create Your Future" video on your way back to the bottom of the sphere was fun. The Audio-Animatronics that Disney make are one of the many things that give them the lead over their competitors. After picking up the Soarin' Fast Passes, we rode Living with the Land. I liked it. It was calm and the trip through the greenhouse was cool.
102_4507.JPG
We rode this ride next.

Yep, Imagination. My short review: Figment is kinda annoying, the song is catchy but still annoying, and the entire pavilion screams "I want a redo!"
102_4499.JPG
Club Cool was a nice place to hang out for a minute. Some of the sodas are pretty good.

We went to eat at the Electric Umbrella. The bacon mac and cheeseburger was good and messy, perfect fast food. Then we headed towards Ellen's Energy Adventure. It was a weird attraction. The film is obviously outdated, but it still has a few chuckles and all the celebrities in it are still relatively popular. But the ride got confusing once they went back in time. Why do we have to ride past dinosaurs for ten minutes while nothing else happens? Why is there a radio tower in the prehistoric time period? Why am I this confused by a Disney attraction?
102_4502.JPG
Even if the ride was "meh", the facade is cool looking

102_4505.JPG
We picked up FPs for Test Track, then headed to a good ride.

Soarin' is one of the best attractions at EPCOT, but that's not saying much. It isn't too thrilling, but all the small effects are still working and the entire ride is made for the entire family. Yes, it's a bit short but if it were longer the capacity would be even worse than it already is.

We spent the afternoon exploring World Showcase, and the only attraction we visited was The American Adventure. Here are some pictures I took of the countries.
102_4509.JPG
Band in Canada was pretty entertaining

102_4511.JPG
The Paris pavilion was beautiful

102_4513.JPG
My grandpa has made many business trips to Morocco so he had fun speaking to the cast members

102_4514.JPG
Panorama from Japan pavilion

102_4524.JPG
The American Adventure show's Audio-Animatronics were very impressive and Disney did a good job with representing the history of our great country.

And the Voices of Liberty were great a cappella singers as well.

102_4527.JPG
The Italy pavilion was beautiful.

102_4529.JPG
Germany was a fun pavilion to look at.

102_4530.JPG
China was elegant.

After hurrying up and glancing through the rest of the pavilions, we hurried to the Coral Reef for our dinner reservations. The food was good and, as expected, pretty expensive. The interior was kind of retro-ish, but of course had a view you couldn't beat.

Afterwards we rode the ride inside, which was okay, but it really isn't a major or exciting ride. There isn't much to look at and the only standout moment is when the Nemo characters appear to be inside the aquarium.
102_4534.JPG
The exterior of the building is pretty though.

102_4539.JPG
We headed to Test Track next to use our Fast Passes.

The new Test Track was a great ride. I mean, the ride before was good, but the newer version is must more interesting to look at and definitely fits the Future World theme. And with the interactive element of designing your own vehicle, this ride is definitely the best ride in EPCOT.

We took a spin on Mission: SPACE, which was cool, and then headed back. I wish we could've stayed for Illuminations, but most of us weren't feeling too good, so we headed back to the resort.
102_4541.JPG
Goodbye Spaceship Earth. Goodbye EPCOT.
Last edited by Woodie Warrior on Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:37 pm.

Magic Kingdom: Day One (July 30, 2013)

Postby Woodie Warrior » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:41 pm

102_4554.JPG
Space Mountain greeted us as we approached the Kingdom from the Monorail

102_4555.JPG
Astro Orbiter and Cinderella's Castle also came out to say hello :)

102_4557.JPG
We're here!

As soon as we got in we took in the view of Cinderella's castle, and, of course, take lots of photos. Then we headed towards Tomorrowland and got Fast Passes for Space Mountain.
102_4560.JPG
The very cool entryway to Tomorrowland

102_4564.JPG
Once we got our Fast Passes we took a spin on the Peoplemover, which gave us a great view of all of Tomorrowland.

We rode Space Ranger Spin (always a fun ride for the family), and hurried to Space Mountain as to not miss our reservations at the Royal Table. We got to ride once on each track (since our grandparents didn't use their Fast Passes), and then went to eat.
102_4587.JPG
Not only is the view of Fantasyland great, but the interior of Cinderella's Royal Table is beautiful

After lunch we got Winnie the Pooh Fast Passes, which came with additional PhilharMagic Fast Passes as well.
102_4589.JPG
SURPRISE!!!

The 3D was acting all wonky until I flipped my glasses upside down but other than that PhilharMagic was as fun as I remember it being. After it was over I found out I had lost the Winnie the Pooh Passes, so we decided to ride It's A Small World, pick up replacement Fast Passes, explore New Fantasyland, and then ride Pooh.
102_4618.JPG
Our family is strange. All of us love both the ride and the song. I guess we're immune to the annoyingness.

102_4591.JPG
For some reason I forgot to take a picture of the facade until we had a side view.

102_4617.JPG
These bathrooms we visited afterwards were incredibly fancy. Only at a Disney park would you see such elaborately themed and decorated restrooms.

102_4619.JPG
Wish it would've been done by now. At least it'll definitely be finished by my next trip, whenever that is.

102_4620.JPG
I don't know why more people on here don't like this ride. IMO it's the best ride in Fantasyland, or at least tied with It's A Small World.

102_4647.JPG
I thought the Brew here is even better than Butterbeer. The tastes were a strange combination but they worked really well.

102_4649.JPG
Winnie the Pooh wasn't that good. It was short and it was a random bunch of stories strung together. It just didn't "work". It wouldn't have been worth the one hour plus wait that the normal line had.

Next we visited Dumbo at the Storybook Circus. This area was very well done. It is what I think Silver Dollar City tried to do with their Grand Exposition area. But this area had charm and even though both rides were out-of-the-box carnival attractions, Disney truly made them their own unique and highly-themed rides. At SDC (which BTW is my favorite theme park), all the rides in Grand Exposition are out-of-the-box, but they all have the same theme: ahead of their time, truly revolutionary carnival rides. But the theme doesn't work because rides like them didn't exist until around the mid 1900's. But whatever, back to Magic Kingdom.
102_4651.JPG
Like I said, Disney took the standard carnival/circus theme and made it their own.

102_4656.JPG
Dumbo is all nice and snazzy with it's playground queue and new home.

102_4662.JPG
We headed to Haunted Mansion for our final ride of the day,

102_4661.JPG
Haunted Mansion is a good ride. The theme-ing and effects are top-notch.

102_4664.JPG
I'll leave you with my favorite picture I took. My camera decided to NOT be crappy for once.
Last edited by Woodie Warrior on Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:51 pm.

Disney's Hollywood Studios (July 31, 2013)

Postby Woodie Warrior » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:05 pm

102_4668.JPG
Hey look! It's everyone's favorite park icon! ;)

First we picked up Toy Story Midway Mania Passes, which were almost sold out when we got there. The return times were right before our dinner reservations! We then visited the Legend of Captian Jack Sparrow, which was kinda crappy, but still better than Poseidon's Fury.
102_4676.JPG
Next we rode The "Great" Movie Ride

The "Not-So-Great" Movie Ride should be the next one to be redone. (Footlight Parade or A Fistful of Dollars anyone?) But the tour guides do a good job and some of the scenes/audio-animatronics are slightly impressive.
102_4681.JPG
Star Tours was our next destination.

Star Tours is a pretty good ride. It's not jerky like some other similar attractions (cough, cough, Wild Arctic) and the randomized destinations mean you could ride all day and have a different experience ever time. Plus the queue is very well done.
102_4685.JPG
Next we stopped at Muppet*Vision. I am a giant fan of everything Muppets. But the Waldo character completely ruins the movie for me. :(

Next my dad and I hurried to get Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Fast Passes while the rest of our group waited for the Indiana Jones stunt show. The show was pretty good was definitely a nice surprise. I don't really want this show being removed, even if it would be replaced by a Star Wars land. Here are some pics I got of the show:
102_4693.JPG

102_4696.JPG

102_4697.JPG

102_4698.JPG

102_4699.JPG

102_4705.JPG

102_4708.JPG

102_4710.JPG

102_4711.JPG

102_4713.JPG
After the show, we explored the Streets of America.

102_4714.JPG
The street scenes were somewhat cool, but I'm sure whatever replaces them will be 500% better.

102_4717.JPG
Next we rode the Studio Backlot Tour. The only stand-out moment of the ride is "Catastrophe Canyon". Occasionally something cool can be found in the prop warehouse, but nothing that great was visible on this trip. I'd love to see the Canyon be used for an "extra scene" in the Radiator Springs Racers ride.

102_4720.JPG
"Save mah from dis watah!"

102_4722.JPG
Disney presents Titanic: The Remake, directed by Michael Bay

102_4724.JPG
It is sad I recognized this house before I read the sign

102_4731.JPG
I cringed every time the tour guide said "Ear-ful Tower"

102_4733.JPG
Nothing is going to happen here...

102_4734.JPG
While our grandparents went to wait at the restaurant, the rest of the group came to ride this, using our Fast Passes we obtained, of course. Midway Mania is a good ride, and great for a shooting dark ride, but I wouldn't wait more than 20 minutes for it. I don't blame families with young children for waiting in the lines, I mean, it is kind of weird that it is one of two rides in the park that has no potential fright factor for kids (the other one is Studio Backlot Tour, and Great Movie Ride probably only scares a few handful of kids anyway).

102_4735.JPG
We ate dinner here as part of the Fantasmic meal package. The food was pretty good and the servers were pretty friendly. But what else would you expect from Disney?

102_4738.JPG
Most of the meals are cooked in this stone oven.

102_4741.JPG
After the meal we went to use our Fast Passes on Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. The ride was overall good, but there are a few parts where the ride slows down a little, providing a little bit of head banging. It is still pretty far up on my steel list, though.

102_4742.JPG
Voyage of the Little Mermaid is a decent show. One problem though is that they reenact the first fifteen minutes of the film, and then they play a short film to tell the rest of the story. The show is definitely worth seeing though.

Next we glanced through a gallery with models from Monsters University before we entered the Mushu Showroom. There was hardly anyone there, but the show was actually pretty funny and the worker/actress inside did a good job and was very friendly, just like the rest of the employees at Disney. While I enjoyed this attraction, I'm surprised it and the (I think) abandoned building behind it haven't been replaced yet.

We went to visit Walt Disney: One Man's Dream. It is another "hidden gem" in the park. Here are some pics of the cool models featured there:
102_4755.JPG
Cinderella's Castle

102_4756.JPG
Dumbo the Flying Elephant

102_4757.JPG
Overview of right side of New Fantasyland

102_4758.JPG
Overview of left side of New Fantasyland

102_4759.JPG
Storybook Circus

102_4761.JPG
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

102_4762.JPG
Tree of Life

102_4763.JPG
Paradise Pier

102_4764.JPG
Under the Sea

Afterwards we headed to Fantasmic to get ready in the reserved seats. But sadly, our predictions were right and the show was cancelled. It was ridiculous Disney couldn't call off the show sooner, because it was obvious the lightning was getting way too close, but I'm guessing they want to sell as many light-up souvenirs as possible before they kick everyone out of the stadium.

I'm still a little bummed we missed out on Fantasmic (hopefully on my fourth trip to Orlando we will get to finally see it), but I believe Hollywood Studios is underrated. Are the rides and shows all five-star? No, but many are pretty good (Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Toy Story, Indiana Jones, Star Tours), and the overall park is clean and well themed. Many areas COULD use a refreshing, but I'm sure Disney is working on it. The park is still top-notch and offers a lot of good attractions,.
Last edited by Woodie Warrior on Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:52 pm.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!