SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment (SEAS) Corporate Thread

P. 32: Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer contract extension!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Open Up Happiness

SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment (SEAS) Corporate Thread

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:46 am

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-sea-world-files-to-sell-stock-20121227,0,5925649.story

logo.jpg

SeaWorld is going public.

Orlando-based SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment filed plans Thursday to sell up to $100 million worth of public shares.

The company would operate under a new name, SeaWorld Entertainment Inc., and trade under the symbol "SEAS."

Private-equity giant Blackstone Group, which bought SeaWorld in late 2009 for approximately $2.5 billion, would retain a controlling stake in SeaWorld.

The IPO comes as SeaWorld's finances continue to rebound from the global recession. Operating profit ballooned 34 percent to $229 million through the first nine months of this year, according to a regulatory filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

Total revenue was up 7.6 percent to nearly $1.2 billion during the same period. The company's 11 U.S. parks drew 19.9 million people through Sept. 30, up 4.3 percent. SeaWorld said its parks have drawn more than 24 million visitors over the last full year period.

The company says the gains have been driven in large part by its three SeaWorld marine parks in Orlando, San Diego and San Antonio and Busch Gardens Williamsburg in Virginia.

A company spokesman declined to comment.

A portion of the proceeds from the initial public offering would be used to make a one-time payment to Blackstone, which put down $975 million in cash when it bought SeaWorld from Anheuser-Busch InBev and financed the remainder with debt. The firm also took dividend payments totaling $610 million out of SeaWorld in 2010 and 2011, meaning it has already earned back more than two-thirds of its initial investment.
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:58 am.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I teach at the school of donkey!

Re: NEWS: SeaWold Parks & Entertainment goes Public!

Postby Zingoman » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:24 pm

Pretty mixed feelings here. Once you have investors to cater to a lot of priorities tend to shift and the finer details take the back seat. If you worked at cedar point over the last ten years you know exactly what I mean.

Any theories someone with good business knowledge can put out there to explain some reasons this is taking place?
So Arrow was the bomb. I said that out loud :oops:

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:55 pm

Why does every company have to go public? There are alot of companies that do just fine without it. I hope it works out.
Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club. Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club. Joined August 17, 2013
Proud Member of the 500 Coaster Club. Joined January 30, 2015
Proud Member of the 600 Coaster Club, Joined April 21, 2017

Postby Wes » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:02 pm

Rollercoaster Rider wrote:Why does every company have to go public? There are alot of companies that do just fine without it. I hope it works out.

It starts with "M" and ends with "oney".

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby simon8899 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:20 am

In Germany we had some American/British "Investment Companies" taking over German companies which were running okay and nearly first - or second - thing thing the new management did was to force the taken over company to take huge debts and pay it to the investor. Next thing was demanding a 10% revenue each year. So today "American/British Investors" have a quite bad reputation here now - mostly called "Locust Investors". Most companies here even prefer to sell out to China - but ain't really sure that's much better...

I don't know about the main Sea World investor but hope it'll remain the operations running on the long turn...

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:55 am

Zingoman wrote:Pretty mixed feelings here. Once you have investors to cater to a lot of priorities tend to shift and the finer details take the back seat. If you worked at cedar point over the last ten years you know exactly what I mean.

Any theories someone with good business knowledge can put out there to explain some reasons this is taking place?

Kind of like how Comcast and Disney are spending record amounts of money on their parks because the theme park divisions are doing so well?

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby tmhuber » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:12 am

It is simply business. Seaworld is offering stock to raise capital. What they do with that capital is up to the board. It maybe to pay Blackstone part of their investment back. More likely it would be money to fund business expenses. I'm pretty sure they will invest the money in the parks in the hopes to attract more attendance thus more revenue. Blackstone is in the business of entertainment, I don't see them dumping off their investment.

The reason Disney decided to invest in the parks in these huge expansions because that is what you do during down economies. The interests in borrowing money are low, so you take advantage of the market and borrow as much money is needed to invest in your product. When the economy becomes better, people will come and spend money. And if you built something cool, millions upon millions of people will come. This is what Disney is doing.

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:41 am

Wes wrote:
Rollercoaster Rider wrote:Why does every company have to go public? There are alot of companies that do just fine without it. I hope it works out.

Mahoney?
still_mahoney_smile1.jpg
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Bull » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:43 pm

Mahoney?

For me, that was the best reply of the year!

Seriously, thanks for that made me LOL, and spit a little of my Hot Chocolate and Amaretto on the keyboard!

Bull

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:30 pm

BeemerBoy wrote:
Wes wrote:

Mahoney?

aka The best part of the Police Academy Franchise?
Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club. Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club. Joined August 17, 2013
Proud Member of the 500 Coaster Club. Joined January 30, 2015
Proud Member of the 600 Coaster Club, Joined April 21, 2017

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!