TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Another Possible New Park in Houston (Adventure Pointe)

Looks like there may be another park being developed in Houston. Got this from the old Astroworld fan site. Looks like it will be near the Dog track, outlet mall, and the largest Buc-ee's gas station ever.

Texas City officials and retail industry observers predicted the October opening of Tanger Outlets in Texas City would attract more retail and development to the mainland city. So far those predictions appear to be panning out. Texas City Mayor Matt Doyle confirmed Monday that a man with ties to the old Playland Park in Houston had acquired about 25 acres south of Tanger Outlets, 5884 Interstate 45. The man’s name and details weren’t immediately available.

Doyle, who hasn’t seen formal plans, says it’s his understanding the man plans to bring amusement rides and attractions to the Texas City site.

The original Playland Park was in Houston from the mid-1940s and through the mid-1960s, according to online resources. It was Texas’ first amusement park and it stood near where the also departed AstroWorld once operated. Stay tuned.

www.galvestondailynews.com/business/buzz/article_c92a6f90-3ddb-11e2-9380-001a4bcf6878.html

sixflagshouston.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3566

Edited by larrygator

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like there is some additional news on the Texas City park. They actually have a facebook page now. Here's what they posted on the page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Playland-Park/456425797759982

Playland Park - Texas City . . . a blast to the past!

Located next to the new Tanger Outlet Mall in Texas City, the amusement park will be famiy-friendly and upscale. The entertainment facility has been named after Houston's first real amusement park. Playland Park is scheduled to open Summer of 2015 with retro-Americana theming. It will operate the historic large-scale locomotives that serviced millions of patrons during its 50 years of operation at the Houston Zoo. Totally refurbished, they will serve to transport passengers to various attractions around the 25 acre development - including the picnic area and amphitheater.

Along with the railroad trains, a Grand Carousel, an Eyerly Monster, an Antique Car ride, twirling Tea Cups, and a Tilt-a-Whirl celebrate rides of the past.

The amusement park also boasts state-of-the-art attractions - such as a unique roller coaster zip line, an Xtra-ice 'ice' skating rink, and fast though eco-friendly Indy-type electric go-karts. One track will have a 'slick' surface and no doubt prove extremely challenging - even for a NASCAR drive like A J Foyt who got his start at Playland Speedway.

The park will have generous green spaces. Live outdoor concerts with well known artists will be hosted. Local musicians will have the opportunity to demonstrate their talents as well.

An indoor pavilion will accommodate both large corporate events and smaller private functions, such as birthday parties and graduation celebrations. Food service will by provided by several on-site restaurants and cafes. Catering for any size group will also be available.

Check back for updates. Feel free to leave your comments and suggestions.

I have actually spoke to guy building the park. He is very excited for the park and is looking at a summer 2015 opening. He invited me to the warehouse where they are refurbishing the rides. I'm trying to get a video interview with him for my newspaper. I will post it on here if I get to. Here is a Press Release he sent me and told me I could post. It's very similar to the facebook post.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Family Time in the Houston-Galveston Area will Never be the Same Thanks to Playland Park-Texas City

It will Truly be . . . a Blast to the Past!

HOUSTON – March 11, 2013, Located along the south side of the new Tanger Outlet Mall in Texas City and fronting Interstate Highway 45, twenty five acres of land was recently purchased and will be developed into a much needed entertainment haven. Scheduled to open in the summer of 2015, this upscale entertainment facility will be named Playland Park after its namesake that operated over 50 years ago as Houston's first real amusement park. The family entertainment center will be eco-friendly, yet have a ‘retro-Americana’ feel.

Playland Park will operate the historic large-scale vintage 1860's 'steam engine' and 1960's 'streamliner' locomotives that previously serviced millions of patrons at the Houston Zoo. The trains have been totally restored to their original pristine condition. They will travel on approximately one mile of rail. Each train will carry upwards of 80 passengers on a leisurely ride around the park’s many other attractions. The train ride, along with an Eyerly Aircraft Monster ride, a Grand Carousel, the classic Twirling Teacups, a Tilt-a-Whirl, and an Antique Car ride will celebrate family rides of the past.

The park will also boast state-of-the-art attractions - such as a roller coaster-like zip line and a unique 'iceless' ice skating rink. Playland Park will also have Indy-type electric Go-Karts. One track will have a slick surface and no doubt prove extremely challenging - even for a professional NASCAR driver like A J Foyt who got his start at Playland Speedway.

The theme park will have generous green spaces for audiences to enjoy live outdoor concerts and theatrical stage performances. Its amphitheater will host well known artists and offer opportunities for local talent.

An indoor pavilion will accommodate large corporate events as well as smaller private functions, such as birthday parties and graduation celebrations. Food service will be provided by several on-site restaurants and cafes. Catering for any size group will also be available.

“Owning a family-friendly theme park has been my dream come true. I recall having worked summers at my father’s amusement park and seeing all the happy faces on both the kids as well as the adults. I look forward to creating many wonderful and long-lasting memories for the families that will visit my park.” stated Dr. Harvey E. Slusky, president of the Harli Group LLC, who is developing Playland Park. His overall vision is to create a multitude of family fun activities serving patrons of all ages, from toddlers to teens and even senior citizens.

The Texas City family entertainment center, Playland Park, will be coined with the tag line 'a Blast to the Past'. The Harli Group LLC looks forward to creating at least 70 new jobs for its Texas City facility. The Harli Group LLC wants Playland Park to be a family staple for many generations to come. It already has plans for future growth with a phase two development that will be released at a later date.

Harli Group LLC is a local development company that focuses on family entertainment.

###

• 1 month later...

I know I shouldn't judge future plans from a teaser photo from another park, but if they're going for a Goudrix copy then I'm gonna laugh, hard! I'm interested to hear more once things really get going.

• 6 months later...

Playland Park was to be built near Texas City until they decided to redesign the entire park and reintroduce it as Adventure Pointe. I really like the look of the plans they posted for the park. I can't wait to hear more about Adventure Pointe. With Grand Texas posting their new plans and photos this week and now this, Houston has some very exciting things happening.

Here is the info from Adventure Pointe Facebook.

Coming Soon, to the Heart of Texas, the 35 acre site will host a thrilling and innovative theme park, a hospitality center with amazing restaurants, retail and hotel accommodations, and an entertainment section complete with a state of the art concert venue.

Visionary, Harvey Slusky, knows the best times of your life define you. He and his expert team are building an environment where these experiences of a lifetime will happen daily.

So take your life to the Pointe, and have an Adventure. See you soon, at Adventure Pointe!

580604_546326445443188_6273137_n.jpg.231f86dbaf85d24d936b21a709956afd.jpg

A look at the plan for the park

AdventurePointeLogo.jpg.3807525e4bfaed7134c0a5aab7b0085d.jpg

Park Logo

Here is a video announcing the new park.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

It is never a good sign that the park has had a complete make over and name change. To me it sounds like they could not attract investors and had to do something to gain interest.

I know the plan changed from it was originally because they were able to hire on a different engineer. The engineer has a Disney background. It was at this same time, he decided to change the name. I only know this because I did an interview with many months ago and we've been in contact since.

Edited by Mrlittle

• 4 weeks later...

Adventure Pointe is an immersive family experience comprising theme park, hospitality centre and entertainment section with state-of-the-art concert venue.

With a projected opening date of 2015 it is the brainchild of Harvey Slusky (right), a cardiologist whose own heart is set on continuing his father’s legacy and bringing a unique entertainment venue to a developing area that lacks anything of the kind.

Blooloop caught up with Harvey and creative director Katie Hurley to find out more about the project.

A Family Business

Harvey’s family has been involved in the park business, as Harvey puts it, ‘forever’. His father, Louis Slusky (left), had two separate Playland parks in Houston and Galveston in the late 1940s; his uncle had one in Nebraska; a cousin had a park in Oklahoma City and others in Denver own one which has been in existence for over a century.

Harvey vividly remembers going to the annual IAAPA trade shows with his father, and learning what was involved in operating a park. He has always wanted to create something like Adventure Pointe:

“I’ve talked about it for dozens of years and now I’m really doing it.”

His father’s Playland Park in Houston became a cultural icon, known as a “family destination that created joy, adventure and memories...”

This struck a chord with Harvey, who is supported in his ambitious venture by his wife, Lisa, and by his mother, who is 91.

Harvey says that he thinks his father “would be very proud.”

Harvey's Vision

Adventure Pointe, built on a thirty-five acre site (with potential for expansion) will be a place for people to visit in the daytime, and stay into the evening, enjoying not only the innovative theme park and speedway station but also the main street with its soda fountain, old-time candy store and other independent, carefully chosen retail outlets; its ice-skating rink in the Roundhouse; its hospitality centre with hotel accommodation, restaurants - and railway.

There will be multiple train lines that run all the way round the park, and a station in the Main Street. Harvey’s father, who sold up after thirty years in the theme park business, nevertheless maintained the miniature train concession at the Houston Zoo until 2008 – and it is those same trains that Harvey will be bringing to Adventure Pointe.

Downtown Nightlife

The entertainment core – complete with amphitheatre and two-sided stage - will come to life as the day draws to a close, extending the enjoyment of the day, centring on music and performance, with line dancing and two-stepping, concerts - and fireworks every night.

“This is what I want to do: to make people happy, and provide them with a nice place to do it,” Harvey says.

Affair of the Heart

Harvey, who has been a cardiologist for over twenty-three years, plans eventually to leave medicine and devote himself to the realisation of his vision. As Katie remarks, this isn’t really a change of career, but a sideways step:

“It’s the best medicine. He’s going into preventative care.”

Harvey may be a visionary, but he plans to be a hands-on developer, having an office with sleeping quarters at the park so he can oversee the operation.

A Family Venue

The emphasis is firmly on family rides and a pleasurable group experience. This isn’t a destination for adrenaline-junkies: the emphasis is on the group experience; fun for everyone.

Education

There is no target age – the idea is that everyone can enjoy Adventure Pointe, and everyone can learn: the Gulf Coast is an area so rich in cultural heritage and specifically locational skills that there is a point of interest for everyone.

The Local Touch: The Theme Park

The local area’s heritage is the inspiration for Adventure Pointe’s theme park, which has three main areas: the Great Outdoors; the Pirate Village and Exploration Island, and a Speedway station, in a nod to the famous speedway at Playland Park.

The rides are all relevant to the area’s rich history.

‘The Pirate Village’ will evoke the spirit of the pirate Jean Lafitte, who had a base locally in around 1815, during the Mexican War of Independence.

‘The Pirate Village and Exploration Island’ will feature Jean Lafitte’s Fleet Boat Ride; Destination Exploration; the Octopus Ride; the Lighthouse, Shoal Point, Campbell Court (the Campbell family were part of Jean Lafitte’s crew and were the settlers who made Texas City into a town), Engineers’ Camp and lots of interactive games.

‘The Discovery Area’ situated in the Lighthouse will educate visitors about the region’s maritime history.

The team intend to add NASA and oil-refinement themed attractions, self-propelling rides as a nod to the fact that Texas City was the original Army base where the First Aero Squadron was born, activities in the forest rock region and perhaps to incorporate a ride or event into the Lighthouse.

‘The Great Outdoors’ will feature a series of interconnected zip lines for racing or two people riding; a raft ride; heege towers; a flat ride – possibly a carousel with themed animals –additional family rides, a geyser and various interactive activities, as well as a train depot.

The People

Katie (left) sat down and listened to Harvey’s long-held vision, then put together a formidable team of designers who have begun to make that vision a reality.

It is her contention that “You are only as good as the people you surround yourself with” – so if the team was going to make Harvey’s dream bear fruit, it had to be strong.

Katie said: “This is all Harvey’s vision and we’re just the translators... You can’t just build it and let it go: this is a lifetime’s dream.”

The team she built includes Christian Hope, concept designer and Eduardo Borrego, lead architect.

It is through Christian’s creative flair and imagination as he worked with Eduardo to develop the infrastructure of the Park that Adventure Pointe has evolved from concept to exciting reality, poised to bring the community of Texas a unique new entertainment destination project.

Terri Lera, Production Director, a graduate of Texas A&M who possesses a dynamic portfolio of development projects across the Gulf Coast Region, and Nick Hernandez, advisory counsel, who has worked on 98% of all real estate developments in Houston so brought real estate expertise, as well as playing a role in the strategic direction and leadership of retail services on a regional and national basis also came on board, completing the team that will bring Adventure Pointe to the public very soon.

The Setting

This may be a labour of love, but business acumen as well as sentiment has shaped the project.

Harvey owns a piece of land where the adjacent properties are currently undergoing development including: an off price retail centre and over 2,000 new homes. Texas City, a city on the cusp of major development and economic growth, is the ideal location for Adventure Pointe, open land for a large-scale project just outside of Houston.

According to Katie Hurley: “We know there is going to be interesting growth in that region... No-one is ever going to stop going to South Texas ...because there’s so much there - not just the enterprise and raw materials: some of the best places to vacation are along the Texas coast.”

Yet Adventure Pointe will draw local visitors, too, as it will provide an entertainment source close to home.

The Dream

Harvey’s vision, rooted as it is in his family’s past and the history of the Gulf Coast, meets a present-day need for an entertainment venue in this area; a family destination that combines theme park, retail area and performance venue.

Katie points out that currently “There’s no place to have a prom or see a ticketed live show (the kids go to Galveston or Houston)...We’re giving them a place to make memories in their own backyard.”

• 2 weeks later...

It's been quite but for what I'm hearing they already starting to clear land and finally start there consrution ! Somebody shpuld go there to take pics, I'll be going there soon to get updates! I'm just so exicited to see this start from the ground up. grand Texas is gonna be amazing new park coming spring 2015,,,

• 3 weeks later...

^ I know they are really active on Facebook. They posted not to long ago that the website will go online sometime in February. I believe they are just tweaking little things and decided on a coaster before they give out more details.

Just saw this on Adventure Pointe Facebook:

Adventure Pointe will be broken into four different areas - all paying homage to the original Playland Park and the Gulf Coast Region and its history. Stay tuned as we reveal these areas and their details this week.