TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Cowabunga Bay coming to Las Vegas!

http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/19629408/land-purchased-for-proposed-henderson-water-park

The Las Vegas Valley has been without a water park since Wet ‘n Wild closed back in 2004. With a recently announced land purchase, that could soon change.

Twenty-two acres of desert near the intersection of Gibson Road and Galleria Drive in Henderson have been purchased by Cowabunga Bay Las Vegas for more than $4.6 million.

Shane Huish, who owns Cowabunga Bay in Draper, UT, has partnered with Vegas Residential, LLC for the park.

Vegas Residential, LLC had planned to break ground and build a water park in the area earlier this year. With Huish now on board they hope it will become a reality. However, plans are still being worked out.

"We are working to make things happen. We have a few more pieces to put into place but it's exciting that we've bought the land down there," Huish said.

For many, it's hard to believe our community has been without a water park for eight years, especially considering our hot, arid climate.

"(I) loved Wet ‘n Wild. I loved the rides, hanging out with (my) girlfriends. It was great," said Tina Pfeifer, a native Las Vegan and parent of two.

"We would use it for sure. I could tell you all the kids on the team would use it," said baseball dad Scott Landis.

Those we spoke with said Henderson would be the perfect place for a park.

"It's a great location – Galleria Mall. There (are) lots of places for the parents to hang out and leave their kids there for awhile," Pfeifer said.

There are also plans in the works for another water park near Warm Springs and Fort Apache roads in the southwest. SPB Partners had planned to open that park by the spring of this year. The company's website now indicates a spring 2013 opening.

Financing for the Henderson project is still getting worked out but the land purchase is a big step forward. The participating companies said they hope to make a major announcement by early 2013.

Huish's family has been in the business for 50 years. Besides parks in Utah, they have a park in Washington state and have helped develop several parks in southern California.

373198_434468986589529_970967988_n.jpg.c2da74353b5d187302cf5ac9bab9f076.jpg

Edited by TPDave

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well now I know how Cedar Point, Carowinds and Six Flags St. Louis feel. It is tough to keep things secret in this day and age. We had planned on not announcing this until everything was finalized, but Fox 5 eventually put 2 and 2 together and called us out on the story.

Thanks everyone for the congratulations, I am WAY excited to be bringing all the greatness that is Cowabunga Bay to Las Vegas on a MUCH larger scale.

Stay tuned!

https://www.facebook.com/CowabungaBayLasVegas

Great news Shane!!!

Congrats and best of luck in the new venture!

I was lucky enough to get the thrill of visiting Cowabunga Bay, and the place was MAGNIFICENT!!!

Everyone should go and enjoy it, but if you can't, you can see it on my trip report below!

I think this may have been one of the best trip reports I have ever done, solely due to the love of Shane and his great park!

It's a must see!

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=793674#p793674

Peace, Big Mke

AWESOME!

As a local, Im really excited!

I live right next to the 'other' park, and haven't seen any progress or movement on the location in a few months. I highly doubt it will open by May 2013.

May I ask; why this location? It really is great spot just off the highway. Your Utah location is right off the I-15, I really thought you guys would go right for the I-15 in Vegas too!

Cannot wait for this!!!

Congrats Shane! I worked as a Lifeguard at Wet n' Wild the first 3 years of it's operation. I was sad to see it torn down and wondered who would snatch up the water park rights there in Las Vegas. It makes me very happy that it is going to be Cowabunga Bay. I know that the city of my childhood is in awesome waterpark hands. Good luck with the whole project. I wish you all the best.

Awesome...congrats to Shane!

In seeing the trip reports on Cowabunga Bay, this is without a doubt going to be one must-do great places to visit when I'm next in Vegas.

And my Dad will be pumped too because he loves water parks and visits his brother in Vegas yearly. He had been complaining about "Why doesn't one of the hottest places in the country have a big water park?"