New Park in Houston Area (Grand Texas Theme Park)

Pg 33: December 14 groundbreaking for 2018 waterpark opening
Users viewing this topic: A.J., SLCHeadache and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Starbucks Enthusiast

Re: New Park in Houston Area (Grand Texas Theme Park)

Postby gisco » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:56 pm

Here's their website so someone here can change it on the first page
http://grandtx.com/

Done!

I like the way this is progressing. They are doing things one at a time. Doing the ones that are least expensive to get going and generate revenue.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Shavethewhales » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:52 pm

It's been slow, but they've done a TON of infrastructure work. They built a substation, new roads, new water/sewer lines, and storm drainage. Now that the RV park is open I expect full steam ahead on the water park.

Judging from the website, a lot of the retail/hotel/etc plots have already sold! That's huge news, and it means their real estate gamble is pulling off. I'm not sure if they'll ever get around to actually building the theme park, but a big water park, RV park, and racing park plus retail amenities is something.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:42 pm

https://communityimpact.com/houston/conroe-montgomery/arts-entertainment/2017/02/22/construction-ramps-grand-texas/

Construction ramps up at Grand Texas
Big Rivers water park tentatively projected to open this summer
By Christopher Shelton| Posted Feb. 22, 2017 at 5:09 pm

Construction ramps up at Grand Texas Grand Texas Theme Park could provide some much-needed entertainment options in east Montgomery County in 2017 despite previous delays and construction challenges.

Construction has concluded on the first two elements of the 632-acre entertainment venue, including Grand Texas RV Park and Speedsportz Racing Park, which opened near the intersection of Hwy. 59 and Hwy. 242 in August and December, respectively, Grand Texas officials said.

Now, preliminary infrastructure work for Grand Texas’ water park Big Rivers is under construction on the site. Big Rivers is slated to be completed before the start of the summer, Grand Texas CEO Monty Galland said.

Inclement weather, potential construction mishaps and the scope of a development this large create variables that make predicting an opening date difficult, Grand Texas Creative Director Lance Martin said.

“We’ve got a big [goal] ahead of us—that’s trying to do everything right before we do anything wrong,” Martin said. “That’s why it’s taking so long. We have a lot of tasks that people don’t see.”

Park elements

The Grand Texas Theme Park will feature five roller coasters, dozens of rides and an emphasis on live entertainment, Galland said.

The park’s theme is based on Texas history, which includes Spanish, Mexican and German influences. At its opening, Grand Texas will be about the same size as Six Flags AstroWorld—the 57-acre theme park that closed in 2005, he said.

Construction on Grand Texas’ namesake amusement park and a sports complex is expected to begin when Big Rivers—a 40-acre water park—is completed, Galland said. Construction on the theme park could take two years.

In addition, Grand Texas will feature several retail and entertainment elements, such as a factory outlet mall, four hotels and 450,000 square feet of retail and dining space in the park’s Downtown Texas section.

While the completion of the mall is 30-36 months away, construction on Downtown Texas is expected to begin when the theme park is completed.

“A region like this needs a big entertainment facility,” Martin said.

Local Effects

For the east Montgomery County area, the theme park could create more economic demand, said Jenna Armstrong, president and CEO of the Lake Houston Area Chamber of Commerce.

“The prospect of [Grand Texas] is huge for [the Greater Houston area], and that effect is going to be felt in the Lake Houston area,” Armstrong said.

Demand for housing in the area is expected to increase once major park elements open, said Brian Gibson, a community development manager For Friendswood Development. The company is developing more than 4,000 homes in Royal Brook and Tavola, two subdivisions near Kingwood, he said.

“We believe it will be a positive factor driving traffic to the area,” Gibson said.

However, after project delays and previous theme parks pitched on this tract of land that did not come to fruition, residents and business owners remain cautiously optimistic, Armstrong said.

Grand Texas was originally slated for completion in 2015 but was delayed because of the design limitations of the original engineering firm and delays in utility hookups, Galland said. Meanwhile, inclement weather caused delays in 2015 and 2016, Martin said.

Grand Texas finished construction of Speed Street—a quarter-mile road that created an entrance to Speedsportz Racing Park— in late November.

The $1.2 million project is the first phase of more than 2 miles of public roads that will be a part of Grand Texas at build-out, Grand Texas Communications Manager Jessica Marquez said. The developer expects to spend $3.5 million on road projects, she said.

While it is not directly related to the amusement park, the Texas Department of Transportation will expand Hwy. 242 to improve safety near the theme park in the future, TxDOT spokesperson Deidrea George said.

The $100 million project would widen Hwy. 242 from two to four lanes between Needham Drive in Conroe and Hwy. 59. The expansion could receive funding in 2023 and includes an overpass at FM 1314, which could receive funding as early as 2018, George said.
Grand Texas.JPG
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Themonerd » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:39 pm

Hey, it's good to see SOME progress. At least this won't be like the disasters in Dubai and the battle in the bayou for Jazzland.
If it has :airtime: count me in!
I've created 3 locked threads. I should start using that search function.

Postby Shavethewhales » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:53 pm

I've been getting frustrated lately along with seeming everyone down in the Houston area that knows about this project, so I'm glad to get another little bone of news.

No more infrastructure excuses at this point - everything seems to be in place and they've done a massive amount of clearing. A ton of the plots have been sold off to my amazement. I've speculated that this whole thing was really just a plot to sell land at higher prices. If they get a water park built, then that's something, but I'm starting to wonder how serious they ever were about the theme park and outlet mall. They keep saying they'll do one thing after another, but then they turn around and perpetually delay the start. On the other hand though, there are plenty of good excuses and there always have been signs of progress all along.

Let's just hope they do get the water park open this year and a lot of the criticism will die down.

Postby Shavethewhales » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:33 am

So I decided to blow off a little steam in Houston/Galveston over the weekend, and I started things off by driving up to New Caney to check out the progress on this thing that I've heard so much about. This place is only about a 15 minute drive from the airport with easy traffic and highway access.

Right off the bat it's easy to tell that a ton of work has been done if you know anything about infrastructure. There's been obvious sewer, storm, and water line improvements all over the area, with at least a couple of new lift stations noticeable just from the road. They've probably spent in the ten's of millions range already just on preparing the land for development. And of course the clearings are huge. There were a few people and a bulldozer out there working on this drizzly Saturday morning.

I stopped by the RV park. To my surprise, it was about more than half filled on this cold wet early march weekend. A lot of it could be construction workers, but who knows. The lady in the office told me that the water park has broken ground, but won't open until 2018. She said they hoped to open the theme park in 2020. Going by the typical trend here, we can expect it to actually open in 2024.

I think there's going to be an explosion of vertical construction this summer with the water park and several of the pad sites starting construction. That will really bring the area to life. We'll just have to wait and see how the water park turns out to see if the theme park will ever become a reality. These people are serious, but they are land developers, not a theme park company.
20170304_100748.jpg
20170304_100756.jpg
20170304_100814.jpg
20170304_101005.jpg
20170304_101017.jpg
20170304_101023.jpg
20170304_101046.jpg
20170304_101050.jpg
20170304_101142.jpg
20170304_101843.jpg
20170304_101907.jpg
20170304_101909.jpg

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby redfoot12 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:49 am

Shavethewhales wrote:So I decided to blow off a little steam in Houston/Galveston over the weekend, and I started things off by driving up to New Caney to check out the progress on this thing that I've heard so much about. This place is only about a 15 minute drive from the airport with easy traffic and highway access.

Right off the bat it's easy to tell that a ton of work has been done if you know anything about infrastructure. There's been obvious sewer, storm, and water line improvements all over the area, with at least a couple of new lift stations noticeable just from the road. They've probably spent in the ten's of millions range already just on preparing the land for development. And of course the clearings are huge. There were a few people and a bulldozer out there working on this drizzly Saturday morning.

I stopped by the RV park. To my surprise, it was about more than half filled on this cold wet early march weekend. A lot of it could be construction workers, but who knows. The lady in the office told me that the water park has broken ground, but won't open until 2018. She said they hoped to open the theme park in 2020. Going by the typical trend here, we can expect it to actually open in 2024.

I think there's going to be an explosion of vertical construction this summer with the water park and several of the pad sites starting construction. That will really bring the area to life. We'll just have to wait and see how the water park turns out to see if the theme park will ever become a reality. These people are serious, but they are land developers, not a theme park company.

Nice update as this has been a development I've been trying to keep tabs on over the years. Good to see some progress being made. I guess whether that eventually leads to theme parks and RMC's remains to be seen but at least it's something!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Boxguy » Sun May 07, 2017 2:27 pm

I'm starting to lose hope in this project. So far, we've gotten no updates on the water park and theme park and they lied to us about an update in March (it's now May). I know a theme park takes time to build but they've given us nothing besides an overpriced RV park and a racing park that I have plenty of others around to go to. Seriously though what's going on over there? Will they ever give us an update on the theme park and water park (and to a lesser extent the adventure park)? Are they planning on ACTUALLY breaking ground or are they just gonna stall on it again? Because now it's gotten to the point where it became a contest to see which will finished first, this or 290.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon May 08, 2017 3:11 pm

Boxguy wrote:they lied to us about an update in March (it's now May).

Would you rather they be working on it or telling you about how they're working on it?
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby knaiwear » Mon May 08, 2017 3:46 pm

^they aren't mutually exclusive.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!