Tokyo Disney Resort Discussion Thread

P. 161: DisneySEA expansion: Frozen, Tangled, Peter Pan
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Re: Tokyo Disney Resort Discussion Thread

Postby Justice » Tue May 28, 2013 3:48 pm

Jew wrote:
cfc wrote:If true, it'll be a bit strange hearing Mater talking in Japanese.

They did go to Tokyo in the 2nd movie, so maybe this will be a unique Carsland based on the 2nd movie...

Whatever the case, I'm sure it will best the already impressive CA version.

Sorry but I have literally never understood this logic.

One of the biggest complaints with DCA when it opened was the fact that it was a park about California...in California. Americans seem to think that because Cars 2 had a part in Tokyo, any Cars attraction should be made in that setting. Why would the Japanese want a faux version of what they have 20 minutes away by train.

Furthermore the entire premise of DisneySea was to give the Japanese a total escape experience. Indiana Jones was redressed as a South American theme to make it more exotic to the Japanese. I think its simply illogical to ever make a "Cars in Japan" ride in Tokyo Disney Resort.

I find the entire Carsland in Tokyo rumor questionable at best but I've been wrong before.

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed May 29, 2013 6:07 am

^While I get the notion of not having a "Japan within Japan," I think it is to your very point that the Cars Land rumors might make sense. Like you said, the parks (especially Tokyo DisneySea) are about the total escape experience, and having visited Tokyo and visited Cars Land, there is very little difference between the level of "environmental escapism" you can experience while enveloped in Radiator Springs versus standing in the shadow of Mount Prometheus. I easily prefer Tokyo's unique environs to Cars Land, but that didn't stop me from loving DCA's newest land throughout. From the entrance to the huge Cadillac Range, the land is overwhelmingly themed to the point where you seriously can't see (or at least care to see) any of the other realms of the park or doubt that you're not standing in the living world of Cars.

I walked through Cars Land for about a week, and never once was there a moment where I thought this couldn't fit beautifully into the Tokyo Disney Resort (if given the right place in the parks).
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ernierocker » Wed May 29, 2013 6:33 am

Justice wrote:
Jew wrote:
cfc wrote:If true, it'll be a bit strange hearing Mater talking in Japanese.

They did go to Tokyo in the 2nd movie, so maybe this will be a unique Carsland based on the 2nd movie...

Whatever the case, I'm sure it will best the already impressive CA version.

Sorry but I have literally never understood this logic.

One of the biggest complaints with DCA when it opened was the fact that it was a park about California...in California. Americans seem to think that because Cars 2 had a part in Tokyo, any Cars attraction should be made in that setting. Why would the Japanese want a faux version of what they have 20 minutes away by train.

Furthermore the entire premise of DisneySea was to give the Japanese a total escape experience. Indiana Jones was redressed as a South American theme to make it more exotic to the Japanese. I think its simply illogical to ever make a "Cars in Japan" ride in Tokyo Disney Resort.

I find the entire Carsland in Tokyo rumor questionable at best but I've been wrong before.

All I've read is one or two posters suggesting that as an idea. It could very well still be Radiator Springs with a little bit of Tokyo Disney flair. Or Italy, or London. There are a few settings from the two movies that could be used (or a combination), the Tokyo idea was merely a thought.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed May 29, 2013 6:36 am

Yes, the desert version of Carsland would look "exotic" enough for Japan.

Controlled by a sentient spreadsheet...

Postby Divv3k » Wed May 29, 2013 6:52 am

Building a Tokyo-themed Cars area in Tokyo isn't too weird an idea given that Disney are currently building a Paris-themed Ratatouille area at Disney Studios Paris.

I'm interested to see what route TDR goes down. Whatever it is you know it will be amazing!

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby stellaclose » Wed May 29, 2013 6:58 am

I wonder if long term they're thinking of reclaiming land in Tokyo Bay and building a 3rd park. I wonder what they'd come up with - Tokyo DisneyMARVEL perhaps.

Postby Justice » Wed May 29, 2013 9:35 pm

jedimaster1227 wrote:^While I get the notion of not having a "Japan within Japan," I think it is to your very point that the Cars Land rumors might make sense. Like you said, the parks (especially Tokyo DisneySea) are about the total escape experience, and having visited Tokyo and visited Cars Land, there is very little difference between the level of "environmental escapism" you can experience while enveloped in Radiator Springs versus standing in the shadow of Mount Prometheus. I easily prefer Tokyo's unique environs to Cars Land, but that didn't stop me from loving DCA's newest land throughout. From the entrance to the huge Cadillac Range, the land is overwhelmingly themed to the point where you seriously can't see (or at least care to see) any of the other realms of the park or doubt that you're not standing in the living world of Cars.

I walked through Cars Land for about a week, and never once was there a moment where I thought this couldn't fit beautifully into the Tokyo Disney Resort (if given the right place in the parks).

What makes the suspicious about Carsland in Tokyo is the total and complete absence of the Cars franchise in the park. There is no merchandise, there is no feature of Cars in any one of Tokyo Disney's abundance of shows, so on and so forth. The only and literally only mention of Cars in Tokyo Disney Resort that I'm aware of was the easter eggs of Mater and Lightning.

Monsters Inc, Bugs Life, Toy Story, Incredibles, and even Tangled have all had much greater presence in the parks in recent years through characters and shows. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a large franchise based addition to Tokyo Disney in the near future but I just don't think Cars has the popularity to do so.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Wed May 29, 2013 9:49 pm

Two things:

1. I never said it had to be themed to Tokyo. I just mentioned that they went to Tokyo, which could theoretically serve as the backstory to the attraction at Tokyo Disney. Not saying they will, but something cheesy like "Lightning at Mater loved Tokyo so much, they took up residence at TDL..." could serve as the backstory.

2. Japan was the highest grossing international market for Cars 2, so maybe the franchise is popular there and they are just waiting for the perfect opportunity to introduce them to the park? Was there much Monsters Inc. stuff in the parks prior to the attraction being built at TDL?
Last edited by Jew on Wed May 29, 2013 9:51 pm.

Postby Justice » Wed May 29, 2013 9:58 pm

Jew wrote:2. Japan was the highest grossing international market for Cars 2, so maybe the franchise is popular there and they are just waiting for the perfect opportunity to introduce them to the park? Was there much Monsters Inc. stuff in the parks prior to the attraction being built at TDL?

Monsters was featured in numerous parades prior to Monsters Inc Ride n Go Seek. Considering that TDL just introduced a new parade that featured plenty of lesser known characters including Aristocats, it just makes me wonder why they wouldn't invest in what is a supposedly-popular franchise like Cars.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ernierocker » Thu May 30, 2013 5:35 am

^I don't believe there were any Transformers merchandise or references before the ride(s) came to the Universal parks. Just because there is no sign of a franchise at a park, doesn't mean that a attraction/land isn't coming. If the Cars franchise is that popular in Japan, it really isn't necessary to test the market and introduce the merchandise or have characters in parades before (if) they build Carsland.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!