TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tokyo Disney Resort Discussion Thread

p. 78 - TONS of new Fantasy Springs info!

This just in! The folks at http://www.tdrexplorer.com are giving away one of the Buzz Lightyear Popcorn Buckets!

Contest starts tomorrow, Japan time, and ends on October 8th (Japan time).

I know this is killing my chances even more to winning one, but hey - everybody should have a chance, right?

Go to the website, log into one of the available contact methods/browsers (?), find the form, and enter! That's it.

And as they posted... "anyone in the world can enter".

popcornBuzzLightyearBucket.jpg.afe1686c3e13208b446cf7d2a59e76f5.jpg

Chris from TDRexplorer holding "the prize."

• 2 weeks later...

^ Contest is over, and I didn't win it. Oh well.....

Fantasyland Construction Photos! Thanks to http://www.tdrexplorer.com

fantasyland-expansion-fall-2017-monorail-1.jpg.398d942b04617f4ae9746179be2541da.jpg

Taken from the monorail. And the StarJets are closed forever. )o:

fantasyland-expansion-fall-2017-monorail-2.jpg.56c725c0aeb5e8d0e0b2501a32c65f5e.jpg

Really not much to see, yet. Vertical bldg.construction could happen in a few months or so. I'm hoping. (o:

Also coming up at TDLR...

Tokyo Disney Resort has announced details of its new Pixar Playtime event. Running January 11 – March 19, 2018, at DisneySea, the event includes Pixar-themed games, character greetings, and new food and merchandise.

Fun and Games

This winter, Tokyo DisneySea will host Pixar Playtime, a celebration of Pixar Studios with a competitive twist. New gaming booths themed to different Pixar movies will host fun challenges for guests of all ages. Booths will include a miniature version of the house from Up, a Cars pitstop, and the kitchen from Ratatouille. There is no word on any prizes yet, but during the summer’s Natsu Matsuri event gaming booths offered summer-themed prizes, so we’ll wait and see what Pixar Playtime has in store…

Thanks to http://www.tdrexplorer.com for the information and the photos.

(The merchandise and special themed foods/snacks look AWESOME, too!)

pixar-playtime2017-18.jpg.c64697d856eed4965bb638660d0398da.jpg

Great theming to the 1940s American Waterfront!

pixar-playtime2017-18a.jpg.c89851e99ae738ed535586fa8e04664e.jpg

And The Rat gets his own cooking game! C'est magnifique!

(...And I believe that's a very cool looking PRIZE WHEEL that's at every games booth.)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm visiting Tokyo Disney later in the month. Anyone got any tips on a good route round the park? Have heard bad things about the queues, however we're visiting Disneyland on a Tuesday, and DisneySEA on a Wednesday.

Planning to get there an hour before opening, and staying until closing. We've only got 1 day in each so i'm hoping I can get the main attractions done. Looks like Big Thunder is closed while we're there sadly.

I'm visiting Tokyo Disney later in the month. Anyone got any tips on a good route round the park? Have heard bad things about the queues, however we're visiting Disneyland on a Tuesday, and DisneySEA on a Wednesday.

Planning to get there an hour before opening, and staying until closing. We've only got 1 day in each so i'm hoping I can get the main attractions done. Looks like Big Thunder is closed while we're there sadly.

Once you're in the park, head straight to Monsters Inc and get a fast pass and then get in the regular line for Pooh's Honey Hunt.

One thing I found strange about the park is that the wait times seemed to get longer closer to closing after the fireworks shows. For Space Mountain for example, mid afternoon the wait was about 30 to 45 minutes through on or two switchbacks before the escalator. 1/2 hr before closing it was almost a full queue and 90 minutes.

^^My first suggestion for Disney Sea, is to head right over to Midway Mania (to the left of awesome bathrooms!), ride it, then head to Tower of Terror and either ride it, or get a FastPass. So far (I read?) they are still dealing with paper ones and not thru an app. etc. If you ride it, then head to the middle and ride Journey/CenterEarth, or get that FastPass there. If you ride Journey, then continue to the back and you have Indy and Raging Spirits side by side. Over further still, and you're walking into Sindbad's Adventures.

That's all I got for now. Don't use the right side of the harbor to get to Journey. Takes longer IMhO. Easier to go over the bridge, then up a smaller pathway that cuts to the right of the main pathway. Up that path, then go to the right and continue into Mt.Prometheus for Journey riding. Entry will be on your right, and the FastPass booths beyond.

Hope that helps.

738843864_ResizeofIMG_2720.JPG.3a67a7121f2553597492b24c5fe7ed07.JPG

Then there's Mermaid Lagoon, which is a whole other kettle of..... uh....Flounder? :p July 5, 2013.

Edited by Nrthwnd

It was hit or miss with us on Single Line for Raging Spirits. We usually got seats we didn't want. But that was fine. We were still way faster than what the line actually was, time-wise. Indy was a walk-on for us when we decided to ride separate. And Tower of Terror did SR, from time to time, which was very rare when they did. It was like a Surprise Soft Opening for Single Riders, lol!

658835374_ResizeofIMG_2977.JPG.0889e93f6ab9186a3936424cf73c1f91.JPG

David did Single Rider on Raging Spirits and survived! I was so proud of him.

TPR 2013 Japan Tour.

It was hit or miss with us on Single Line for Raging Spirits. We usually got seats we didn't want. But that was fine. We were still way faster than what the line actually was, time-wise. Indy was a walk-on for us when we decided to ride separate. And Tower of Terror did SR, from time to time, which was very rare when they did. It was like a Surprise Soft Opening for Single Riders, lol!

P.S. Don't forget to ride AQUATOPIA...because it's silly and cool to ride!

and P.P.S It's too bad you have only one day for each park.

The shows alone, in Disney Sea are worth an extra day's visit.

1634999324_ResizeofIMG_2950.JPG.4fe0fef9d58e94b70a038dcf05efa048.JPG

AQUATOPIA was great, especially at NIGHT! Usually a walk on, through most of the day/night.

895457614_ResizeofIMG_2743.JPG.d3afce2a377ff68b2c33f9234a8c68d7.JPG

Like I said....bizarre at night! Very trippy.

1167983603_ResizeofIMG_2744.JPG.2557d78cc982cd322d944447f88e0dad.JPG

Even the whirlpools were lit up! Crazy and fun ride. TPR 2013 Japan Tour.

Stand near TSMM when you are watching Fantasmic and enter the standby when the show ends. Indy’s single rider line is magical. Raging Spirits’ single rider doesn’t work too well.

Yea this. I hit up the park after snow had kept the crowds away and it was 3 hours across the board and Indy's single rider still flew by in under 10 minutes. Raging Spirits I barely moved in 30 and gave up and got a FP (although this was a time when ToT had single rider and MM wasn't open so it was easier to sacrifice a potential different FP ride.

Hi everyone!

I'm headed to the Tokyo Disney Resort for the first time from Friday Dec1-Dec4 (our flight is on the evening of Dec 4). It's a dream come true! Any tips besides the ones mentioned above on dealing with weekend lines? Journey, 20K Leagues, Pooh, Monsters and ToT are the rides I'm looking forward to the most from either park. I live in Los Angeles, so DL is my home park, and I've been to WDW a few times, and DLP last year.

Unfortunately, we weren't able to secure a reservation at Miracosta, so we'll be staying at the Hilton Tokyo Bay. The Disneyland Hotel IS available from Dec3/4 and I'm considering booking those nights just to have the Disney Hotel experience, even if it's cut short. That would also mean taking a couple of hours out of our day on the 3rd in order to check out of the Hilton & check into the Disneyland Hotel. Any thoughts on those plans? My gut tells me to just stick with my Hilton reservation so that we don't lose out on valuable time within the parks. I would consider switching hotels if the experience will be that much more heightened, and if the benefits of staying at the DLH further outweigh the 1-2 hours it'll take to switch hotels.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Honestly, I'm sure you'll still have a great "Disney Experience," even if you don't switch hotels. But...last two times, TPR tours stayed at the Tokyo Bay Hilton, and it was woooonderful! The monorail stn.is right there, and the little shuttle that takes you to it, is worth it, even if you have to wait. Actually saves you more time, than walking to the station yourself. And less tiring too. and..... My avatar is Bayside Station! Subject to seasonal changing.

And - important part for myself, with it being a hotel that Disney approves of, it's not totally controlled by Disney. So there is a handy convenience store to the far right of the lobby, and it has beer and liquor available, something that (I remember) isn't sold in any of the Disney-owned hotels. And there's a great gift shop there, with merch from both parks. Great art gallery there, too.

The hotel also provides you with a nice afternoon "breaktime" which we used to great advantage when there. We would get to the park(s) at least one hour before open.Then do what we planned to do, make sure we got at least one pair of FastPASS tickets for after 6pm (we lucked out with two attractions FastPASSes in TDS), then rest at your room for a couple of hours (Don't forget to get that handstamp, leaving the park!) then went back to the park, etc.

Hope that helps. I also had a camera malfunction on the 2011 visit there, with the battery freezing up, and I forgot to bring another along. So I was at the back of TDS, where Raging Spirits is. Did a good walk out of the park, to the monorail, took it back to hotel, loaded camera with new battery, and got back to TDS, at the back....in under 45 minutes!

1932853126_ResizeofIMG_2707.JPG.a0f9c7ef915f3a544f5d99cef24205cf.JPG

And don't forget, the Tokyo Bay Hilton has an awesome breakfast buffet, available too!

Worth the extra charge. That's David with our 'first round' of food, lol. TPR 2013 Japan Tour.

Edited by Nrthwnd

Snip

The Hilton is right on the Monorail line (Bayside Station), so unless you're absolutely dying to have the experience of a Disney hotel or being right across from Disneyland, I don't see any incentive to change hotels.

In addition to the usual tips (be at the park an hour before opening, all that good stuff), I noticed during the summer season that the lines for Pooh and Monsters usually died down significantly during the last 45-30 mins before closing, dropping to maybe 10-15 mins at most. Not sure if the same will hold true for December, but it's worth keeping an eye out for.

And don't forget to note this, after you've boarded the monorail at Bayside Stn...

518404970_ResizeofIMG_2918.JPG.98b0df4448b75892912e73179829ed01.JPG

Between Bayside and TDS Stations... future (we hope) "new port" for TDS ~ Arendelle from Frozen! (o:

218846110_ResizeofIMG_2947.JPG.a07eed126719c2ae38de859fe47469a2.JPG

And looking from the bridge to Indy Jones in TDS, this is where Arendelle will sit, inside the park.

TPR 2013 Japan Tour.

The benefits to switching to an official Disney hotel would be the following:

- 15 min early entry

- Ability to buy park hopper tickets starting on day 1

- Staying at a true 'disney' hotel

We have stayed at the Ambassador, Mira Costa, and the Disneyland Hotel. They're all quite lovely, I would stay at Mira Costa and Disneyland again, but for us it's not worth the extra money. The Hilton Tokyo Bay is our go to Tokyo Disney Hotel and we really enjoy it. KT especially loves the Happy Magic Rooms they offer!

If you get a park view room, you'll get a pretty good look at the new Fantasyland expansion they're currently building.

The new "Beauty & The Beast" attraction show building will be right there, beyond the parking lot.

If you get a Tokyo Bay view room (we did on the 2011 TPR Tour), you get a nice calming look at "beyond the resort."

It's all good, either side of the building, heh.

E01_HotelRoomView_TDR.jpg.5c18d252f260bdddc393e7f6635765f2.jpg

TPR 2011 Japan Tour. Our "room with a view" of Tokyo Bay, in the Tokyo Bay Hilton Hotel.

1927341131_ResizeofIMG_2703.JPG.975df8108d506b504977ea007fd07c10.JPG

TPR 2013 Japan Tour. Park side view room of Hilton. With fog. And rain. TDS is over there...

325538889_ResizeofIMG_2706.JPG.d84a392c1ecba2e08ea723378858c52f.JPG

...and TDL is ahead. Sort of. Most of those trees are gone, now. And you get to see monorails passing by! (o;

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone! It looks like Hilton Tokyo Bay is the place to be, and we won't have to break the bank!

I think we'll probably check out the Miracosta and DLH and take pictures inside, maybe have a meal. I'm sure we'll be back!

Anyway, I'm soooooo excited for this trip! I've been wanting to ride Journey To The Center Of The Earth ever since TDS opened. 16 years of seeing TDS on the internet and always wanting to go... I can't believe it's actually going to happen!

I've been reading that Toy Story is the most popular ride at TDS right now, but since we have TS here in Anaheim, I might forego that and beeline for Mysterious Island when the park opens. I did hear that the queue is lovely, so I would ride it if we have extra time.

Do the lines for Journey still get pretty long?

^As disney friends that also live very close to a Toy Story Mania we always skip the one at DisneySea as we'd much rather spend our time doing the unique attractions. Our plan of attack the last few years is to get a fastpass for Tower and then go standby Journey first thing in the morning. Tower seems to still get a longer line (and I think it's not as fun to stand in) as Journey.

I've been reading that Toy Story is the most popular ride at TDS right now, but since we have TS here in Anaheim, I might forego that and beeline for Mysterious Island when the park opens. I did hear that the queue is lovely, so I would ride it if we have extra time.

Do the lines for Journey still get pretty long?

If you're gonna skip Toy Story, here's my schedule of events: Go with the Toy Story crowd and get a Tower Fastpass, then do standby for Journey (standby moves pretty fast before they let Fastpass people in an hour after opening). After Journey, wait for your return time on Tower and then get a Journey Fastpass, then go back and do Tower. After that, use your next Fastpasses for the Lost River Delta attractions when you can get new ones.

Another important tip is that a lot of people with Fastpasses tend to use them immediately after a nearby show ends, which is either great or awful for standby depending on when you get in line. If you're in line before or during a show, there are far fewer Fastpass people, which makes standby lines move much quicker than advertised (a posted 110 minute wait for Journey once ended up being just over half of that). After said shows are done, people with Fastpasses flood back in and back up the Fastpass queue, which slows things down a lot. As such, if you know the schedules of nearby shows (e.g. main lagoon shows for Journey, Big Band Beat for Tower), you can help alleviate your waits a bit.

^As disney friends that also live very close to a Toy Story Mania we always skip the one at DisneySea as we'd much rather spend our time doing the unique attractions. Our plan of attack the last few years is to get a fastpass for Tower and then go standby Journey first thing in the morning. Tower seems to still get a longer line (and I think it's not as fun to stand in) as Journey.

I totally agree!

I don't remember, but is there a Single Rider queue for Midway Mania? I forget and didn't look at much of the outside facade, when it was down for maintenance, last visit.

493219966_ResizeofIMG_2714.JPG.7b760e4c7482c2cbd190e74e881a30d0.JPG

"Ohhhh well..." This is the closest David and I got to it. TPR 2013 Japan Tour.

Edited by Nrthwnd