TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Favorite Standalone Haunts?

Whats are your favorite Haunted houses that are not a part of a theme park? Whether it be a major top ten haunt or a local church or charity whats your favorite haunt that stands alone or is a part of small grouping of haunts "a haunt park"?

My favorite would have to be the one where I work, The Cutting Edge in Fort Worth Texas, we are currently the Guinness Book World records longest haunted house in the world and is one of the top 10 in the country.

Whats Yours?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about this one here in Pontiac, MI called Erebus. It held the record as the longest walk-through haunted house in the world for 4 years. I've never been through it, but I hear it is SUPER good! I'm kind of a baby when it comes to haunted houses, but who knows, this may be the year that I actually check it out. Here's to hoping that I don't punch someone in the face!

Have to give a nice shout-out to my personal favorite in the Carolinas, Woods of Terror:

http://www.woodsofterror.com/source/index.html#/index

This is their 20th year of operation and has some amazing sets and very talented actors. Seriously the best haunt the Carolinas has to offer, even being better than Carowinds' Haunt, and it has been rated for the past few years as one of America's Best Haunts. If you get a chance, I seriously recommend checking it out.

I'm working at the Haunted Mines in Colorado Springs, CO. We got excellent reviews last year, and we're rated among the best in the state along with 13th Floor. We have a ton of awesome things to scare you; there's elevators, crawl spaces, a Jeff Johnson credit, and...oops, I can't give too much away!

Promotional picture.

Entry facade. You enter through the shack on the right and exit out the shaft.

If you want to check us out, we're directly off I-25 at Northgate Blvd (Exit 156A) at the Mining Museum.

How about this one here in Pontiac, MI called Erebus. It held the record as the longest walk-through haunted house in the world for 4 years. I've never been through it, but I hear it is SUPER good! I'm kind of a baby when it comes to haunted houses, but who knows, this may be the year that I actually check it out. Here's to hoping that I don't punch someone in the face!

I remember Erebus's first year, the wait was almost 3 hours long and wrapped around the block and down the street.

Phoenix's haunted attraction is Fear Farm http://www.fearfarm.com/. I'm not a haunted attraction person, I've done my fair share of houses, walk throughs and mazes and personally don't care for any aspect of them. From what I've heard though Fear Farm is among the top attractions in the country. Their mascots, the two clowns on the websites home page, seem to be everywhere in the valley Sept and Oct.

That sounds completely terrifying. I don't know if I could do that. Alone is one thing.... the fact that it's over 18 just shows me that they're going to do whatever the %@$# they can to scare the living shit out of you. I'm guessing that anything that won't cause you actual physical harm is fair game. Ergh... gives me the creeps just thinking about it! If I'm ever in New York around Halloween, I might have to try it.

I live in the middle of nowhere so there really aren't any haunted houses nearby (except maybe the real ones ) but last year I went to a pretty good one in Fernley, NV (another middle-of-nowhere place) that some people apparently run every year out of their garage. I thought they did a pretty good job considering that it was all homemade and home-funded.

Hands down the best haunted house I've ever been to is Dead Acres Haunted Hoochie outside Columbus, Ohio. I'm sure anyone else here who has been will back me up when I say it is probably the most extreme haunted house you will ever go to. The scenes they stage are so realistic, and some of them extremely wrong in SO many ways (it's starts off with a way to realistic scene that includes suicide by shotgun) and you probably shouldn't go if you are easily offended.

My favorite quote from someone who went through this last year:

Ceci, it's not a traditional haunt like those others. You go through alone and you're touched. A lot. Bags over your head, handcuffed, staple-gunned (no staples in it obviously), last year we had to lay down on a filthy bed next to a rapist/serial killer and his victim, and I once had to wrestle a key away from a naked man dressed like a little girl (he was naked from the waist down). And I had fake period blood smeared all over my cheeks like blush. Stuff like that.

I love a good, well-themed haunt this time of year and try to get to at least one or two new ones every season. Amongst the best ones I've done would be:

1 Bates Motel located just outside of West Chester, PA. Besides a haunted house it also has a hayride and an awesome corn maze (which isn't just corn but also has scare scenes throughout). Best of all it is opened pretty much every day in October, unlike a lot of haunts that are only opened on Fridays and Saturdays.

2 Headless Horseman located between Albany and Poughkeepsie, this one seems to change its main theme every year and consists of a hayride followed by several highly themed haunted houses and a corn maze.

3 Pennhurst Asylum is pretty close by Pottstown PA in Spring City and is actually a former state hospital that is haunted. Run by the same people that do Bates Motel and is going into its second season adding a second haunt as well as what they're calling a "ghost hunt". Not sure if it's like the real thing like Ghost Adventures or Ghost Hunters but they do stick you in the most haunted place there armed with only a flashlight. If it was actorless that would be pretty scary!

In the coming weeks I'll be checking out Bennett's Curse between Washington and Baltimore so we'll see how that one is. I'd also really like to get to Netherworld in Atlanta one of these years.

Netherworld in Atlanta is the best I have been to. There are two haunts both located in a warehouse. One downstairs and one upstairs. They totally change them every year. I have been twice before and I am going this Saturday with my boys. There are always 2 things that are incorporated into the haunts, a spinning tunnel that you have to walk through and a swaying room. They always do a great job. It is really fun and gets rated as one of the top 5 haunts in America every year. Come check it out!

My favorite quote from someone who went through this last year:

Ceci, it's not a traditional haunt like those others. You go through alone and you're touched. A lot. Bags over your head, handcuffed, staple-gunned (no staples in it obviously), last year we had to lay down on a filthy bed next to a rapist/serial killer and his victim, and I once had to wrestle a key away from a naked man dressed like a little girl (he was naked from the waist down). And I had fake period blood smeared all over my cheeks like blush. Stuff like that.

Ummmm... woah. Wouldn't surprise me if anyone needed therapy after experiencing all that. Yeah it's all fake but to go through that... yikes. There is NO WAY I could do that. That is seriously messed up.

And I'm not a bug haunt fan anymore, but back home in Michigan in the 90s I liked the Haunted Mill in Greenville (north of Grand Rapids). I remember a friend of mine won passes to it off the radio and we had a blast going through it. Sadly it burned down in 2003 about a month before it was supposed to open for that season. Arson.

The Cutting Edge in Fort Worth is pretty good.

http://www.cuttingedgehauntedhouse.com/

It used to be the longest in the world, not sure if that's still the case though. It's in an old meat packing warehouse and it took a little over an hour for us to go through last year. It has some pretty freaky stuff in it, including exiting through a room of foam (there is a side exit if you are too claustrophobic) and a maze that that you have to find your way out of using only a glowstick. The actors don't yell or make any noises (which is kind of trippy) and they don't play scary music or sound effects...instead they play industrial/gothic dance music. It's a good time.

http://markoffshauntedforest.com/

Probably one of the most popular in the DC area. It can be pricey and a line of 3+ hours on Fridays and Saturdays, but its a very good walk through. Two trails as well, that they change on each night. Plus plenty of fall festivities (giant bonfires, zip lines, pumpkin patch, ect) while waiting for your number to be called.

Netherworld in Atlanta is the best I have been to. There are two haunts both located in a warehouse. One downstairs and one upstairs. They totally change them every year. I have been twice before and I am going this Saturday with my boys. There are always 2 things that are incorporated into the haunts, a spinning tunnel that you have to walk through and a swaying room. They always do a great job. It is really fun and gets rated as one of the top 5 haunts in America every year. Come check it out!

You've inspired me to go here on October 15th on my way down to HHN! Looks like an awesome attraction to add to my trip!

Edited by BaMiTsPaT

I have been informed that we were beat this year by a haunt up east, only due to budgeting issues and a change in fire code that caused use to have to redesign several old rooms to meet fire code and blow our budget so only a few of new rooms opened this year, but they only beat us by a few 100 feet by our guesstaments since we have yet to be measured this year. We still have the Pit "the maze" and our humongous bubble room this year though.

Out of curiosity what time of the year did you come through last year?

The Cutting Edge in Fort Worth is pretty good.

http://www.cuttingedgehauntedhouse.com/

It used to be the longest in the world, not sure if that's still the case though. It's in an old meat packing warehouse and it took a little over an hour for us to go through last year.

Living in Southern California, the biggies and (arguably) best are at the theme parks, but I loved http://sinisterpointe.com/ in Brea when I did it two years ago with their "FEAR" and "Silent Hill" mazes (they took last year off to do the Queen Mary Dark Harbor Event) and this year have a new permanent location. I'm REALLY hoping to make it to this year as it's being described as more of a "choose your own adventure" type of interactive maze with different paths to go through.

And speaking of Jeff Schiefelbein and his Sinister Pointe team,

I've heard nothing but awesome things about the flashlight tours at the Winchester Mystery House

http://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/

They actually made an actual attraction this year for them in addition to the flashlight tour.