TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Weirdest Things The 'GP' Have Said

GP: "So where did you decide to go last summer?"

Me: "Germany."

GP: "Germany? I thought you'd want to do a roller coaster trip."

Me; "Well it kind of was. I went to four amusement parks there."

GP: "What? They have roller coasters in Germany!?"

This was not an isolated incident either. I heard variations of this conversation from at least ten different people. There are so many Americans who think that the United States is the only country in the world that has amusement parks (or that the international Disney parks are the only non US parks in the world). I never knew how prevalent this belief was until recently.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comment on a video of Twisted Typhoon at Wild Adventures (an SLC):

In my eyes, I think of this as a sister ride to Montu in Tampa, FL. It has the same feel to it, and would look very similar to each other if you mirrored one of them. They are probably my two all-time favorites of inverted coasters and are both the steel giants of their parks.

• 3 weeks later...

In my eyes, I think of this as a sister ride to Montu in Tampa, FL. It has the same feel to it, and would look very similar to each other if you mirrored one of them. They are probably my two all-time favorites of inverted coasters and are both the steel giants of their parks.

Oh dear god. . .

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A really good friend of mine from outside the enthusiast community worked at Knott's for several years, and if I'm recalling our conversations correctly was a ride op on Montezooma's Revenge for a good while. His stories of less-than-brilliant GP questions, amusing things the ops did to mess with particularly ornery GP, and entertaining observations during the park's Halloween festivities have the group in stitches when I happen to be in California or at an event he's also attending. I know people are at amusement parks to have a fun time and generally aren't super knowledgeable about every part of coaster operation or coaster statistics (nor should they be required to be!) but some questions are just... not that bright by any standards.

There were frequent questions from those already seated in the train asking if the ride has any inversions, while sitting in plain sight of the track ahead with the famous loop. Similarly, questions asking if the loop ahead was part of the ride, in full view of the continuous track from station to loop (though, there are so many coasters so close together at Knott's, this isn't as dumb a question as at other parks; though one only needs to watch the launch one time to get an answer) And best of all, there were also complaints about why they were not running two trains to cut down on wait time... on a Schwarzkopf shuttle. Obviously pretty common comments as noted through the thread, but I'll listen carefully for more specifics next time.

• 1 month later...

Oh dear god. . .

My friend went to Busch Gardens Tampa and skipped Montu because "it looked the same as Mind Eraser." He had already left the park before I had realized what he had done.

On the bright side, he loved everything else he rode, especially Kumba and SheiKra.

Oh dear god. . .

My friend went to Busch Gardens Tampa and skipped Montu because "it looked the same as Mind Eraser." He had already left the park before I had realized what he had done.

This post physically hurts.

I consider myself part of the GP. I've never worked for a park and even if I am successful in making my ideal job of creative director in the amusement industry work out, I'll still consider myself GP. In my mind, bewildering the GP is what theme parks are all about, and I myself love to be bewildered by a park too. A GP who doesn't understand what's going on shows that the park is doing its job well IMO.

I consider myself part of the GP. I've never worked for a park and even if I am successful in making my ideal job of creative director in the amusement industry work out, I'll still consider myself GP. In my mind, bewildering the GP is what theme parks are all about, and I myself love to be bewildered by a park too. A GP who doesn't understand what's going on shows that the park is doing its job well IMO.

I agree, while no one is required to know anything about theme parks, this is our chance to have a large “inside joke” if you will, about our knowledge that sensible people don’t spend their free time learning.