Photo TR: A Wet, Wild Weekend in Pennsylvania

Knoebels (p. 1) and East Coast Bash (p. 3)!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Can I park my donkey here?

Re: Photo TR: A Wet, Wild Weekend in Pennsylvania

Postby roland303 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:03 am

That looks like an interesting dark ride. It kinda reminds me of Fire in the Hole from Silver Dollar City. I do find it odd that they are going with what could be easily construed as a morbid tribute to Appalachian/Pennsylvanian coal mining history but then again, the original Fire in the Hole had paintings of local legends the Baldknobbers, who where essentially a riff on the Klan.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:29 am

^The park already has a small museum devoted to coal mining, but I understand your point. Black Diamond also contains a sort of memorial to miners who were killed in an accidental explosion many years ago (they were trying to dig more coal out of an already closed mine when it happened). It's an interesting concept for a dark ride, and I think they're handling it well.

And, heck, there is a famous Disney attraction that "celebrates" a band of desperate men who sack and burn a Caribbean port. ;)

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:51 am

cfc wrote:^The park already has a small museum devoted to coal mining, but I understand your point. Black Diamond also contains a sort of memorial to miners who were killed in an accidental explosion many years ago (they were trying to dig more coal out of an already closed mine when it happened). It's an interesting concept for a dark ride, and I think they're handling it well.

And, heck, there is a famous Disney attraction that "celebrates" a band of desperate men who sack and burn a Caribbean port. ;)

If I remember correctly there also going to be a scene commemorating the first "televised" coal miner rescue and a scene referencing the town of Centralia. History, yes. Morbid, no.

I'm sure some could construe it as morbid, but it is tactfully done.
Last edited by larrygator on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:52 am.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby amyzoo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:44 pm

Great report and I love all your captions. It was fun hanging out for those couple days!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:14 am

^Same here, Amy--it's always fun hanging out with you and Joey.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!