Photo TR: Dare Devil Dive Media Day at SFOG

Video included!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Five babies drowned in a fire

Re: Photo TR: Dare Devil Dive Media Day at SFOG

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Thu May 26, 2011 8:09 pm

^How can you hate a layout if you've never experienced it personally?

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Thu May 26, 2011 8:45 pm

I'm not saying the layout doesn't ride well - I just don't like the layout itself. It just doesn't flow to me - I'm sure I'll get jumped on for thinking I'm better than the designers at Gerstlauer or something, which I certainly don't. I just don't like these layouts, how the elements are connected, etc. Not saying that they're bad rides at all, because that I certainly can't know until I've ridden.
Last Ride: El Toro (SFGAdv)
Next Ride: Skyrush (HP)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Thu May 26, 2011 9:00 pm

I like the look of the trains, especially the wings! The theming looks decent too. I'm hoping to ride this soon!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby DavidHope » Thu May 26, 2011 10:25 pm

It looks like SFoG has another solid addition to their Coaster Lineup. What makes Triple D even better is now 4 of the Best Coasters at the park are within the same line of sight.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Ace Of Spades » Fri May 27, 2011 3:36 am

Dude, that was some great footage/pics, and you're a fantastic camera presence (the Matt Lauer thing had me cracking up)! It also looks way faster than the offride footage from a while back!

Thanks for the update! :)
Steam|Xbox Live: Mooco2

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.” -Jeremy Clarkson

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby coasternut » Fri May 27, 2011 4:44 am

NICE! :lmao: :b :p I'll be there this season and looking forward to it. I think the lapbars will be great!
Coasternut,

LIVING FOR THAT AIRTIME!! :airtime:

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri May 27, 2011 5:04 am

coasterfreak101 wrote:I'm not saying the layout doesn't ride well - I just don't like the layout itself. It just doesn't flow to me - I'm sure I'll get jumped on for thinking I'm better than the designers at Gerstlauer or something, which I certainly don't. I just don't like these layouts, how the elements are connected, etc. Not saying that they're bad rides at all, because that I certainly can't know until I've ridden.

Groucho agrees with you.

YouTube Videolink

I'm kidding here, and I can understand why you might not care for the layout. I thought the same thing about Speed at Oakwood, until I rode it.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Hilltopper39 » Fri May 27, 2011 7:18 am

Best pic of the update, Go Cats

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Fri May 27, 2011 7:23 am

Thanks for the kind words, folks. I'll go ahead and give my review of the ride.

First off, I think it's a great little coaster. Is it anything that's gonna threaten your top 10 list, or even top 50 for that matter? No, probably not. However, it's just a "fun" ride that's a perfect fit for a park that, despite Six Flags' current slogan of "Go Big," is probably not in the market for another Goliath-sized installation for quite a while.

I suppose the only drawback may be the capacity issue, but hey, if you're reading this (which you are!), then you're probably fairly familiar with how to avoid big crowds and make the most of your park visits.

As for the layout and ride itself, I mentioned it earlier....it's just fun! It won't blow you away, nor will it bore you. In my opinion it tracks amazingly well, is very quiet, and is pretty well paced. If you want me to be real nitpicky, I'd say that the section between the block brake and the mist tunnel is slightly "meh," but again, that's real nitpicky. The barrel roll immediately makes up for that with awesome hang time though!

And let's be honest here, the true test, and subsequent "WIN" is the restraints!! Without question, I'm praying this catches on across the whole industry. Dare Devil Dive is absolute proof that this system can work. I actually just thought of something as I typed that last sentence.....would a holding brake at the top of the tower possibly have required OTSRs? Hmm, if so, I'm happy with the the way things are!!

You may notice in the rider cam video that I'm squirming a bit on the lift. That's because I had been nursing a bit of a sore back for a couple of days prior to the event, and I was slightly concerned about riding. Truth is, the seats and lap bars really made it as comfortable as possible. You have great freedom of motion. If anything, it might have actually helped me stretch and loosen up a bit. Hey, DDD is a chiropractic miracle solution as well!! :wink:

So basically that's it. It's a great "fun" little coaster with a perfect lap bar system, and an absolute perfect fit for the park. Go ride it!

coasterfreak101 wrote:I'm not saying the layout doesn't ride well - I just don't like the layout itself. It just doesn't flow to me - I'm sure I'll get jumped on for thinking I'm better than the designers at Gerstlauer or something, which I certainly don't. I just don't like these layouts, how the elements are connected, etc. Not saying that they're bad rides at all, because that I certainly can't know until I've ridden.

Try and think of it this way. With this latest incarnation of the Euro-fighter design and its 2x2x2 seating, Gerstlauer has created sort of an evolution of the wild mouse coasters....on steroids. It's basically a similar formula. The design is compact, economical, and still packs significant thrills for both the general public and enthusiasts alike. And I'll be honest, from what I had seen leading up to the event I was slightly skeptical about the layout as well, but left there pleasantly surprised!
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Hilltopper39 » Fri May 27, 2011 7:35 am

How do you think the trains will fair for larger ACE sized riders? They look very accommodating in the pictures and I didn't notice a seat belt anywhere that would really restrict some people like the Intamins and B&M's have. Did you notice anyone getting tuned away?

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive