TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Volare Flying Coaster

I was bored on youtube looking up RCT3 crash videos and I came across this....

What the hell?

What a creepy little coaster and a very unusual lift, never saw anything like that before. The ride's name is "The Flying Coaster" at SF Elitch Gardens in Denver.

Anybody been on this thing? That lift looks questionable and please bring some oil...lol.

Edited by Moose

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a Zamperla Volare. Not a particularly popular coaster. The first one was built at Elitch Gardens, and it has since been relocated to New York (Coney, IIRC). There is one more in NY, and another at Canada's Wonderland. About as big of a waste of steel as Superman: UF, but at a fraction of the cost.

Wow, that ride is a piece of crap. It's so painful, and it feels like you're a pet that was caged and a cruel owner is swinging you around in loops. While it may seem interesting, it is not a very good investment, imo. Both times I rode it at Elitch's it gave me bruised ribs...

The most interesting thing I find with this ride is the strange lift system, very different. Never rode one of these so I was wondering how it is, but sounds (and looks) quite uncomfortable, it really whips around those turns pretty tight. I like when the car comes out of the station and pauses, then the spinning lift thing jolts it as it starts pushing it up. If you watch closely you can see it really jolts it pretty good, that's gotta hurt a little.

Edited by Tmcdllr

That was my 100th coaster (I try to make all my milestone coasters as crappy as possible). The ride experience is like being inside a metal wisk. Rough, painful, and claustrophobic. The worst part was that when I rode there was no one in line so they kept sending us through without opening the restraints. I had to yell at the ride op after the third cycle to let me off (and he seemed suprised that I didn't want to ride that POS again).

I've only been on the one at New York's Playland, but it is quite a common ride, especially throughout Europe.

I didn't really find it "rough" as such, but more scary than anything! I felt that if I took my foot off the ladder thing then I would just slide out the back of it! :?

I rode the one at Canada's Wonderland a few times. The only reason I went on it after the first time is because my friends wanted to try it out.

Each time was horrible because I don't fit properly with the ladder. One rung is too high, the one lower was too low so I went on the higher one and bent my knees a little.

I've been on the one at Canada's Wonderland. I actually found it to be a fun little ride and not very painful. It's not an amazing coaster by any means, but I would call it a fun ride.

^I rode it too and found it very painful myself. Do you remember it you were riding on the inside or outside of the car? From what I can tell, riding on the inside is at least somewhat more comfortable.

I've ridden two; Superflight at Playland and Time Warp at Canada's Wonderland. Far from great rides, but I found them to be unique and not very painful, and they have some great hangtime in the heartline rolls. Maybe I found them tolerable because I'm small, so I have enough room in the cage as to not smash into the side on the sharp turns. Still, I'll take Superman or any other B&M flyer over a Volare any day of the week.

I've been on at least 3 Volare's and they are the kind of coaster you would imagine the damned would be forced to marathon in hell - Dante's Inferno my ass, more like Dante's Volare.

These coasters are very mediocre on top of being downright nasty, I almost missed the foothold on my first one and started sliding down for a jolly good neutering.

Edited by downunder

Am I the only one that seemed to love this flyer? It's so flippin fun, it has an awkward layout and seriously really messed up, which totally makes an awesome ride in my book! Very enjoyable, as I re-rode it a couple times. And this might be the first roller coaster that I may ride that I have ridden before and after it's relocation! I wouldn't mind having one installed in my backyard...

I've been on at least 3 Volare's and they are the kind of coaster you would imagine the damned would be forced to marathon in hell - Dante's Inferno my A$$, more like Dante's Volare.

These coasters are very mediocre on top of being downright nasty, I almost missed the foothold on my first one and started sliding down for a jolly good neutering.

Lol!

I saw these a while ago but never really looked at them until playing RCT3. Initially, quickly looking at the photos, I thought the spiral lift was really some crazy spiral drop of death. When I tried building one in RCT3, I realized that it had the strange lift system. The ride does look quite uncomfy and the maneuvers seem a bit sudden.

The most interesting thing I find with this ride is the strange lift system, very different. Never rode one of these so I was wondering how it is, but sounds (and looks) quite uncomfortable, it really whips around those turns pretty tight. I like when the car comes out of the station and pauses, then the spinning lift thing jolts it as it starts pushing it up. If you watch closely you can see it really jolts it pretty good, that's gotta hurt a little.

Can't hurt as much as the 2nd lift on Shoot the Rapids at Cedar Point.

IMO, the Volares are a prime example of a great idea but poor execution. If they would just redesign those forsaken trains, they would be really kick-[censored] rides.