The Volare Flying Coaster

Zamperla's Odd coaster with strange spiral lift!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

The Volare Flying Coaster

Postby Tmcdllr » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:44 am

I was bored on youtube looking up RCT3 crash videos and I came across this....

What the hell?

What a creepy little coaster and a very unusual lift, never saw anything like that before. The ride's name is "The Flying Coaster" at SF Elitch Gardens in Denver.

Anybody been on this thing? That lift looks questionable and please bring some oil...lol.
Last edited by Moose on Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:02 am.
Reason: I added Volare to the title.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Re: The Flying Coaster

Postby Ed Farmer » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:02 am

It's a Zamperla Volare. Not a particularly popular coaster. The first one was built at Elitch Gardens, and it has since been relocated to New York (Coney, IIRC). There is one more in NY, and another at Canada's Wonderland. About as big of a waste of steel as Superman: UF, but at a fraction of the cost.
"Next, we are going to solicit the children of strangers so that we can go on a ride designed for children. This is so I can post online and impress other people who are very good at procuring unfamiliar children in order to go on rides designed for children, and thus have a higher arbitrary number than me."

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby exmouse » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:26 am

I've ridden at least half a dozen of these across Europe and the US and they are share the same trait, they're rough. I know due to their car design some affectionately call them George Forman Grill: The Ride.

Racing for the sky

Postby coasterlover420 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:37 am

Wow, that ride is a piece of crap. It's so painful, and it feels like you're a pet that was caged and a cruel owner is swinging you around in loops. :vekoma: While it may seem interesting, it is not a very good investment, imo. Both times I rode it at Elitch's it gave me bruised ribs...
~Signature~

Postby Tmcdllr » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:54 am

The most interesting thing I find with this ride is the strange lift system, very different. Never rode one of these so I was wondering how it is, but sounds (and looks) quite uncomfortable, it really whips around those turns pretty tight. I like when the car comes out of the station and pauses, then the spinning lift thing jolts it as it starts pushing it up. If you watch closely you can see it really jolts it pretty good, that's gotta hurt a little.
Last edited by Tmcdllr on Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:01 am.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby ahecht » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:58 am

That was my 100th coaster (I try to make all my milestone coasters as crappy as possible). The ride experience is like being inside a metal wisk. Rough, painful, and claustrophobic. The worst part was that when I rode there was no one in line so they kept sending us through without opening the restraints. I had to yell at the ride op after the third cycle to let me off (and he seemed suprised that I didn't want to ride that POS again).

Postby Tmcdllr » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:03 am

Lol.....

Wow, that sounds awful.

According to the Zamperla site, Werner Stengel designed this type of ride. Isn't he with Intamin or does he independantly design rides for various companies?

Postby Hhappy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:18 am

I've been on a couple of these and find them hilarious to ride.
painfull?? nah.. as long as you know how and when to brace yourself.
fun and different ride.
I'm dutch.. not much i can do about that
My coasters/parks and other stuff photo's

Racing for the sky

Postby coasterlover420 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:32 am

^^Stengel is independent. They help with design on basically all B&M's and Intamins, and various other companies...

http://www.rcstengel.com/
~Signature~

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby 1pizza14 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:53 am

There is one at Canada's Wonderland and trust me it's REALLY painful. Its like being trapped in a shaking cage for 2 minutes :vekoma: as interesting as they look... they suck

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!