Goodbye to Speed: The Ride at the Sahara (Vegas)?

P. 19 - Pictures of ride removal
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Favorite element on SkyRush is the Stengel Dive!

Re: Goodbye to Speed: The Ride at the Sahara (Vegas)?

Postby BDG » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:11 am

gisco wrote:I can't see Speed getting resold to another park. The layout is custom to the hotel. You would have to have just the right park to make it fit and the park would have to want that type of coaster. I don't see that happening.
Not really, it's a very simple layout and I'm pretty sure it has proper supports from start to finish.
Having said that, it does need a trench just before the loop.

The Pony Express can't find my teepee

Postby chadster » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:17 am

I'm sure Premier wouldn't mind making small modifications i.e. taller/shorter supports, maybe a track bend here or there, all it takes is $$

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Mr Stratosphere » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:38 am

robbalvey wrote:
x2isawesome wrote:I work in the gift shop across the street and I can confirm they are starting to take it down. When I came into work today they had a little of the spike already down. So if you want pictures or anything of that nature you had better get here quick.

Can you snap a couple of photos and email them to me?

Robb, I will try and get some photos after I get off working today. The weather in Vegas has been really crappy the last couple of days.

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:28 am

I will have to be sure and get down that way to see what is left when I visit Vegas the first part of May!

The Resident Vegetarian Hippie

Postby Hercules » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:42 am

chadster wrote:I'm sure Premier wouldn't mind making small modifications i.e. taller/shorter supports, maybe a track bend here or there, all it takes is $$

Maybe they would be willing, but maybe they won't.

You can make a good amount of money off of scrap metal. Trying to find a buyer can take time and resources. Scraping the metal can get you a decent amount of money in a shorter period of time. Just trying to be realistic.

I eat bugs.

Postby deathbydinn » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:22 pm

The company taking the coaster down has reported on their blog that the ride will be relocated and reopened.

With the removal permit issued by Clark County Building Department, we are now working to remove the pieces carefully to allow for the coaster to eventually be relocated/reinstalled on the south end of the strip at Akita Plaza (northeast corner of Las Vegas Boulevard South and Four Seasons Drive – across from Mandalay Bay).

Link

Their website even has renderings of it in it's new home, posted last December.

Working with Premiere Rides (the original coaster designer and installer), the existing coaster will be relocated and reused as much as possible, with the mid-section being redesigned to work within and over the existing site and parking lot conditions, and allow for new and exciting curves and bends to be added to the ride. The signature 224 foot vertical tower will be relocated and provide the turning point for the out-and-back style roller coaster. The coaster uses a LIM (linear induction magnets) system to launch and further propel the coaster to speeds up to 70MPH. Breslin Builders is provide design and associated engineering services for the site and launch building.

Link

Add me on Simpsons Tapped Out - jongrundl

A village is missing its IDIOT!

Postby XYZ » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:28 pm

This is exciting news, but it does look odd in a shopping center. Also, it's hilarous with Speed & McDonald's, I'm sure Elissa is salivating when looking at the picture.
1: Lightning Run, 2: El Toro, 3: Maverick, 4: Xcelerator, 5: Voyage, 6: TTD, 7: Gold Striker, 8: El Loco (Vegas), 9: Millennium Force, 10: Kingda Ka
Coaster Credits: 110 (89 steel, 21 wood); Last Coaster Credit: Raptor (CP) [8/22/14]; Last Park Credit: Waldameer [8/21/14]
What a season pass??

Proctoligist of Scooby Doo

Postby ScottBrown » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:30 pm

Interesting it looks like the area between the second launch and spike will zig zag a bit based on the drawing that could be interesting

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby Gigalyte » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:41 pm

I love it, looks like something straight out of Tokyo except much more ghetto er lol I also know it's just an artist rendering so it shouldn't be taken as fact but that would be awesome if they did add that zig zag before the spike :p

After reading the article it does in fact say Premier has resigned some parts of the ride so the curves after the second launch may not be to far off.

Working with Premiere Rides (the original coaster designer and installer), the existing coaster will be relocated and reused as much as possible, with the mid-section being redesigned to work within and over the existing site and parking lot conditions, and allow for new and exciting curves and bends to be added to the ride. The signature 224 foot vertical tower will be relocated and provide the turning point for the out-and-back style roller coaster. The coaster uses a LIM (linear induction magnets) system to launch and further propel the coaster to speeds up to 70MPH. Breslin Builders is provide design and associated engineering services for the site and launch building.
Here's the full story Akita Center
Last edited by Gigalyte on Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:02 am.

I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Postby Jakizle » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:48 pm

Assuming everything is legit, that would be pretty awesome if they add a turn or two after the 2nd launch and make it wrap around like that. I approve!

If they do add some turns...

NEW credit?!?!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!