Goodbye to Speed: The Ride at the Sahara (Vegas)?

P. 19 - Pictures of ride removal
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Goodbye to Speed: The Ride at the Sahara (Vegas)?

Postby xmichellex » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:22 am

According to Las Vegas news reports this morning, the Sahara Hotel is closing on 5/16 with no plan in place to re-open (although they are saying it *might* re-open down the road if economically feasible, but it looks pretty bleak).

Wonder what will happen to the coaster... I love that ride, would be a shame to see it go down with the hotel - hopefully it will be saved in the event that the Sahara is taken down or any new owners decide not to keep it.

I read this on the Las Vegas Sun website (as well as a few others). Didn't want to post a link since I'm still under 50 posts, but the articles are easy to find.
Last edited by robbalvey on Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:58 pm.
Top 5 Steel: Bizarro (SFNE), Top Thrill (CP), i305 (KD), Kumba (BGT), Cali. Screamin' (DCA)
Top 5 Wood: El Toro (SFGAdv), Boulder Dash (Lake Compounce), Lightning Racer (Hershey), Beast (KI), Yankee Cannonball (Canobie Lake)
Total Credits: 141

This button makes my penis erect.

Re: Goodbye to Speed: The Ride at the Sahara (Vegas)?

Postby DJeXeL » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:28 am

Here's an article on Bloomberg

Didn't care for the hotel much but Speed is a great coaster. Hopefully an amusement park operator will step in and purchase it. Better yet, for a small donation I can rent a couple Uhauls and transport it somewhere to rebuild it. ;)
Last edited by DJeXeL on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:20 am.
- Insane In The Lift Chain -

"You shut your mouth when you talk to me"

I'll drink donkey urine before I'll drink a Pepsi.

Postby Sir Coaster » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:37 am

NOOOOO

I LOVED Speed: The Ride! I rode it back in 2007, and it was great! I can't stand to see another Premier ride abandoned! :cry:

Hopefully when I go to Vegas in 2 weeks, I can hit it up one last time. That ride, along with the rest of the NASCAR Cafe, is a well-themed area and it'd be a shame to see it go... :(
Home park: Six Flags Great Adventure Park Count: 23 Coaster Count: 79
Wooden: 15 Steel: 63 Liquid: 1
Favorite Wooden coaster: El Toro @ Six Flags Great Adventure
Favorite Steel coaster: Maverick @ Cedar Point

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Sir Clinksalot » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:04 am

Not surprised the hotel is closing ... hopefully the ride will get saved though, it's the best coaster in Vegas.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:16 am

Sounds like I won't be getting that credit.
At least I have the Mr. Freezes to satisy my Premier LIM Shuttle Loop needs. =)
113 wood+501 steel=614|Boulder Dash|Coaster|X2|Maverick|Phoenix|Twisted Colossus|Storm Chaser|iRat|Kawasemi|NTag

Five babies drowned in a fire

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:22 am

Someone bring in Prince Desmond!

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:56 am

Speed is a fun little ride. I've only ridden it a couple of times, but it's definitely worth saving. The only catch is that it's designed specifically for the spot it's in, so rebuilding it elsewhere could be a challenge. Hopefully someone will find a way to do so.

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:56 am

Doesn't surprise me. Speed was a good ride and I'd like to hope it will get saved...but let's be honest, Chiller was a BETTER ride, and even had the train retro-fit...and there were no takers. :(

And when you have brand new coasters sitting in crates at parks that never became a reality also not getting bought up, I'd prepare to say goodbye to Speed: The Ride forever...

--Robb "Just thinking worst case, and unfortunately a realistic scenario here..." Alvey

Nothing beats Cali coasters

Postby chickenbowl » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:00 pm

It was the best coaster in Vegas... Plus, that 2nd launch was really awesome, I thought.
Chasing Airtime
Intimidator 305|Maverick|Skyrush|Medusa Steel|Mega-Lite
Lightning Rod|Outlaw Run|El Toro|Phoenix|Voyage

Full Fledged Meat Enthusiast!

Location: Phoenix, AZ, San Mateo, CA, A Southwest 737, a Continental 737, A United 737...

Postby QueerRudie » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:04 pm

An architect once said "Las Vegas is the place where you have the most expensive, and most luxurious temporary structures in the world"

Here, it's right on the button. I went to the Sahara right after the 'renovation' that brought us Speed- and it was STILL a dump. Speed made the trip very worthwhile- as it's a great little coaster- not the BEST coaster, but you get the idea. I always enjoyed it's lack of lines for the most part- and that it was one of the cheapest thrills on the strip (Far cheaper than me dumping money in the slots- that's for sure.)

However, the Sahara is from another era. In a place where you measure the lifespan of a building in 30 year segments, it was well-overdue.

I'll hope for the best for Speed- but sadly, I don't see it being around in another park.

R.D.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!