Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

P. 612 - Harley Quinn Crazy Coaster for 2018!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Re: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:41 am

Genuinely curious about this new ride. Although I'm not a fan of the regular looping version, I suspect that the two-train interaction on this one will offer a unique experience. Looking forward to hearing some reports!

I Love Donkeys!

Postby aero21 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:13 am

I went down on Monday for the season pass preview. I have to say both my kids and I all agreed that the ride was not that great. Even with almost no lines they both agreed that they didn't want to ride it again. Its slow, shaky, and has a short cycle. If it was twice as big then you may have something but for now its more of a kids ride (which is oddly themed to the least "kid friendly" character).

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:18 am

aero21 wrote:I went down on Monday for the season pass preview. I have to say both my kids and I all agreed that the ride was not that great. Even with almost no lines they both agreed that they didn't want to ride it again. Its slow, shaky, and has a short cycle. If it was twice as big then you may have something but for now its more of a kids ride (which is oddly themed to the least "kid friendly" character).

Ah, bummer! It looked like it had real potential in the render videos. The testing videos do indeed make it seem kind of sluggish. How's the interaction between the trains as they pass by one another?

I Love Donkeys!

Postby aero21 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:37 am

We sat in the front row on the right side train. I was hoping for a bit of interaction on the opposing train but I don't remember doing anything with the other riders. Once it started running it was so shaky that I was too busy trying to keep my head looking straight ahead that I didn't pay much attention to the other train. Its one of those rides that are really fun to look at but you really don't want to wait for if there is a line.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:55 am

^I was watching it test last week and noticed the train shakes A LOT when traversing the immelmanns/dive loops. I was hoping that was because the train was empty and that it wouldn't shake as much when full or riders, but maybe not.

These skywarps seem to be one of those rides that is really fun to look at and watch go around but, like you said, isn't as much fun to ride. I'm a little bummed I missed its opening by a week though, I would have at least liked to try it, whether it ended up being great or horrible.
Steel: 160 / Wood: 32 / Total: 192
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby FolsomFan » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:27 am

I went to DK on Monday. It started off with me bringing our 2015 passes instead of the current ones. D'oh! The nice thing is I was able to get my parking refunded and new passes printed out for free. I thought that was great customer service.

The lines were fairly short except when The Joker was experiencing technical difficulties as we were in line. I notice that happened multiple times with that ride. We went on Wonder Woman twice which is probably my favorite ride in the park. Superman was interesting as it felt like the ride operators were pressuring people to sit down and buckle up quickly. I get they are trying to keep the line moving but I had never experienced that before. Medusa was almost a walk on which was nice.

It was preview day for HQ but I was not interested. It looked so underwhelming in person and uninteresting to me.

I had forgotten how expensive food is there! At least we didn't have to wait in much of a line for lunch and got our food quickly. My favorite thing to get there for a snack is the mini donuts. That is always our afternoon snack and never disappoints.

Postby jonskinny12 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:52 am

My girlfriend and I went to SFDK last Thursday. It was the first trip for both of us. I hadn't ridden a Sky Rocket before and I thought Superman was somewhat underwhelming. I didn't really desire to go back. Medusa was a lot of fun but was only running one train (they seemed to be spending a lot of time trying to attach a camera to one of the other trains). Despite a short line it was still taking 30-45 minutes with only one train so we only rode it twice. I felt like it was really smooth considering its age, especially on the inside seats.

The Joker, on the other hand, was awesome. It seemed to get better every time we rode it. The line was short so we were able to ride it 10 times. We thought the front was definitely the best seat on the ride, even though you miss the great first drop. In the back I felt like the pacing was just a bit off but in the front it was fine. You get some really good airtime and it packs a lot into a small layout. The ride ops though were constantly telling people to not touch the queue gates. And one time it broke down briefly and they even said that it was because people kept messing with the queue gates. I also noticed that there are a few gates for the ride ops to stand behind that have sensors, and they had to cycle those on a number of occasions before they could send a train. I've never seen anything like that before.

I thought the park looked really nice. There are a lot of trees and it was clean for the most part aside from the tree with gum all over it in Joker's queue. I would come back for The Joker since I have a season pass and I would like to ride Medusa some more, but not much else was very interesting to me.

Edit: I can't believe I forgot to say this. Kong is terrible. I've been on two other SLC's so I should know better by now but my GF hadn't been on one yet so I figured we might as well see if it's as bad as the others. Yep, it is. It's one of the worst rides I've been on.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:38 am

jonskinny12 wrote:I hadn't ridden a Sky Rocket before and I thought Superman was somewhat underwhelming.

Very interesting to hear this. I visited for the first time a couple weeks ago and I LOVED Superman. In fact, after a sluggish ride on the Joker, it was my favorite coaster in the park. Joker sped up a little later in the day and after a great ride, that ended up being my favorite, but Superman exceeded my expectations. I definitely prefer it to YOLOcoaster. I am thrilled they are cloning these rides.

With that being said, I completely agree about Kong. After hearing about some trackwork a couple years ago, I was hoping it would be better than the two Mind Erasers I've ridden, but it was just as bad - if not worse.
Steel: 160 / Wood: 32 / Total: 192
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

Postby jonskinny12 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:27 am

^ That's funny because I definitely prefer YOLOcoaster. But I'm glad that people like these Sky Rockets and that they're cloning them. They're cheap (I'm guessing) and seem to be great for the parks that are building them.

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby moviemansig » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:57 pm

What is the latest on Harley Quinn?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!