Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

P. 645 - Batman: The Ride Roller Coaster for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Postby jray21 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:46 am

Here's a quick review of our day at the commercial shoot! We ended up riding the ride over 20 times! The first few rides were fun, but the more I rode it the more I liked it! It is a short ride, but there are a lot of great intense throw-you-out-of-your-seat moments. It is a lot faster and intense than it looks. I think my favorite part is the reverse launch. It kind of reminds me of the intense pop you get when you hit the back spike on a shuttle loop. Then the first vertical 'hill' has some intense airtime in the first few rows. The corkscrew is slow, but it gives you a nice fall out of your seat feeling. The drop after the top of the ride is really good and yanks you out of your seat. I was really surprised at how much the ride feels like it's trying to throw you off of it. Anyway, the commercial shoot was a lot of fun. Before lunch we only got a few rides in while they were setting everything up. After lunch, they did shots from the ground and shots of the corkscrew so they just sent us over and over again as fast as they could. It was cool to see how much goes into the video and photos for the ride. Sorry for the quality of the photos, I only had my iPhone because I wasn't sure I would be allowed to take pictures. Oh well. Anyway, on to the pictures!
IMG_3402.jpg
We arrived bright and early for the commercial!
IMG_3403.jpg
On our way to the ride! We had to wear solid bright color shirts with no logos.
IMG_3405.jpg
Our first view of the normal entrance.
IMG_3408.jpg
The dual sided entrance to the station.
IMG_3409.jpg
We waited here while they picked people for some of the shoots. I was way too ugly and fat to get picked ;)
IMG_3410.jpg
Looking back towards the normal entrance.
IMG_3411.jpg
Amy is all excited to go!
IMG_3412.jpg
They had these comic billboard panels to read while you wait in what could be a very slow moving line.
IMG_3413.jpg
Ok, so the real reason I came was for the free breakfast!
IMG_3416.jpg
Nice and slow roll.
IMG_3419.jpg
Noobitizer gives us a rundown of what to expect and to pump us up for the ride!
IMG_3420.jpg
The first official non-employee train! (I think. But it doesn't really matter because it's another day closer to opening to the public!)
IMG_3428.jpg
Captain Lee hung out with us quite a bit. Too bad Piers wasn't with us!
IMG_3430.jpg
Rigging up the vehicles for all the cameras and GoPros.
IMG_3434.jpg
We met two other TPR members, Sunfire and JeffyJosephNorCal!
IMG_3435.jpg
The sign is really big, shiny, and new!
IMG_3436.jpg
The main entrance to the ride taken from under the giant Superman sign.
IMG_3437.jpg
Left safety sign.
IMG_3438.jpg
Right safety sign.
IMG_3439.jpg
Looking towards the beginning of the line from the station building.
IMG_3440.jpg
And now the other end.
IMG_3442.jpg
Looks like they may have a sports bottle rack. They didn't have one during the commercial but they may have one when it officially opens, or they may just let you have it on the side.
IMG_3443.jpg
Superman getting attacked by Kryptonite.
IMG_3444.jpg
This sign is right in front and above you when you first walk into the station building.
IMG_3446.jpg
Waiting in the station for a few more rides!
photo 2-1.jpg
The loop is too big for the iPhone camera.
photo 4-1.jpg
The crane in the back was taking the shots of us through the corkscrew. It was pretty windy and that crane was moving a ton. So glad I wasn't up in it.
photo 1-2.jpg
It's a really good looking ride, and it really stands out from the freeway. You also get a nice view of the roll from the offramp.
IMG_3447.jpg
Thank you Six Flags Discovery Kingdom for an incredible time! Now it's time for a quick run through the park.
IMG_3448.jpg
This is sooooo much better than those ICEE machines!
photo 1-3.jpg
He was just waiting for me to throw him a child.
photo 5-2.jpg
Dolphin.
photo 5-3.jpg
Pig.
photo 4-3.jpg
The white tiger was out and about as well.
photo 5-1.jpg
Well, they missed it by a season but oh well, at least we already got to ride it!
IMG_3449.jpg
And what better way to end the day than with the Cheesecake Factory!

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby BaMiTsPaT » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:51 am

Looks awesome! I think Six Flags is about to have a hit on its hands!
Coaster Count: 200 Wood:35 Steel: 165

Favorite Steel: Maverick (CP)
Favorite Wood: El Toro (SFGAdv.)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Tmcdllr » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:13 am

Nobody has posted the POV on here yet?

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby GayCoasterGuy » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:27 am

So... being new here, can some one fill me in on "fluffy fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo"? I take it is in reference to storage units for "stuff" while you ride, but am I missing something?

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mechanic » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:24 am

^ Type the word l*o*c*k*e*r*s without the spaces in between and you get fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo. It's a word filter that was put in during the exhaustive discussion about Six Flags' new item storage policy a few years back.

Every problem is a solution waiting to happen.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:28 am

I don't know why, but I don't like outdoor roller coasters with completely enclosed station platforms unless they're part of an elaborate theme (Big Thunder Mountain Railroad). I mean, sure, on hot days the enclosed building can have decent air conditioning. I guess I just like being outside.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Postby GayCoasterGuy » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:48 am

fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo

ah... thanks mechanic. I kinda like that.

Postby GayCoasterGuy » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:52 am

A.J. wrote:I don't know why, but I don't like outdoor roller coasters with completely enclosed station platforms unless they're part of an elaborate theme (Big Thunder Mountain Railroad).

I think you guys in CA have a few more "open air" stations than we have around here. Like the ones I've seen in pictures for Vortex and Afterburn (or whatever the B&M invert is called) at your Great America park. I bet those are kinda cool at night!

Speaking of Great America, I'm off to ours here in Illinois in about 20 minutes!

I would think the enclosed station for the new Superman coaster may have a little to do with the magnetic motors needing to be cooled down. From the videos I have seen, I think those bright white lights would be better if they were tinted red or blue. So bright...

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:35 am

Got back late last night from media day. Will do a full report later. The ride is pretty good. My favorite at the park. Had a great time and the staff was great. Had a chance to ride it in all rows. The front in my opinion is by far the best. Great negative Gs at the top and a great view. The back row for me was a little cramped for my feet and the restraints were uncomfortable on my shins. On my sixth ride we didn't make it to the in-line roll and had a roll back. Awesome! I leave you with a few pics.
t1.jpg
Cool and yummy!
t2.jpg
The ice sculpture melted pretty quick and after a few hours you can tell which cupcakes had been eaten and replaced!
t3.jpg
Plenty of time to look around as you go through the roll!

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Andrewoplis » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:45 am

I just got back from opening day. And I have to say, Superman did not disappoint! The ride was intense with a surprising amount of airtime! :airtime: The lapbars where a little uncomfortable mainly due to those ankles restraints but nothing to unbearable. Overall the ride is really awesome and great addition to the park! Oh and I also took some video.( Sorry about it being shaky.) EDIT: I couldn't attach it so I posted as a link.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZSZFYGCo7s&list=UUGqD2WyUiBR-eWPyqlqnv5Q&index=1&feature=plcp
Hm, I see...

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!