Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

P. 612 - Harley Quinn Crazy Coaster for 2018!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:37 am

My sister wants to visit Waterworld and she has a SFDK gold pass. Are there still passholder discounts or add-ons, or have all the promotionals ended?
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby moviemansig » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:10 pm

Here is a trip report for yesterday – Father’s Day. When we got to The Joker after the rope drop, it wasn’t running, so we went to Superman. Afterwards, we did The Joker, which surprisingly had a minimal wait - sat in the very back row. When we went to ride Wonder Woman, it started experiencing technical difficulties with the restraints after we had actually gone on it. So, we had to exit. Hammerhead wasn’t operating at all. White Water Safari was down when we wanted to ride it. When we came back a second time, we started waiting in line for it and then were told it was experiencing an extended delay, so we all had to exit. Boomerang was down due to technical difficulties, while Tazmanian Devil also wasn’t working. When I was finally able to ride Wonder Woman, it was quite the rush. I really liked how high we went and the back-and-forth swinging. Overall, I thought it was an excellent ride. When we first tried to ride The Penguin, it wasn’t operating. Thankfully, later on it was working. The lines moved really smoothly, more so than I’ve ever experienced. On the flip side, there were more rides that were closed/experiencing technical difficulties than ever before.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:52 pm

RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:My sister wants to visit Waterworld and she has a SFDK gold pass. Are there still passholder discounts or add-ons, or have all the promotionals ended?

Update: there apparently is an upgrade from Gold pass to season Slide-and-Ride pass that I didn't notice right away, I think it was $20. The upgrade says you have to process at SFDK. However, my sister was still able to get into Waterworld with her SFDK pass and scanning the barcode on the e-ticket, although I think she still needs to get to SFDK to officially process it onto her pass.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby CrazedZooChimp » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:37 am

So when the newsletter says "Each morning, bring in any Coca-Cola® product with you along with your admission ticket or season pass to experience exclusive ride times from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m." I assume that means an empty coke can and not like my coke branded coozie, right? :)
Read stuff I write (mostly about NorCal happenings) over at Coaster101!

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby VegasBaby » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:10 pm

CrazedZooChimp wrote:So when the newsletter says "Each morning, bring in any Coca-Cola® product with you along with your admission ticket or season pass to experience exclusive ride times from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m." I assume that means an empty coke can and not like my coke branded coozie, right? :)

Yes, that means an empty Coke can or bottle. I did the Coke exclusive ride time last year and it was awesome. I got about 5-6 rides on Medusa and then a few rides on Kong (those were the only coasters open). This year is even better since the ride time is for Superman, Wonder Woman, and The Joker.
Coaster Count: 187 Last Coaster: Mako
Top Ten: 1) Superman:TR 2) Millennium Force 3) X2 4) Skyrush 5) Twisted Colossus 6) Maverick 7) Top Thrill Dragster 8) Mako 9) Lightning Rod 10) Storm Runner

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby CrazedZooChimp » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:50 pm

VegasBaby wrote:
CrazedZooChimp wrote:So when the newsletter says "Each morning, bring in any Coca-Cola® product with you along with your admission ticket or season pass to experience exclusive ride times from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m." I assume that means an empty coke can and not like my coke branded coozie, right? :)

Yes, that means an empty Coke can or bottle. I did the Coke exclusive ride time last year and it was awesome. I got about 5-6 rides on Medusa and then a few rides on Kong (those were the only coasters open). This year is even better since the ride time is for Superman, Wonder Woman, and The Joker.

Nice! Now my question is can it be a can of something else coke makes, like Fanta...
Read stuff I write (mostly about NorCal happenings) over at Coaster101!

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby ioio » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:02 pm

Any guesses as to how long the lines are this evening (Saturday) or tomorrow (Sunday)? I assume horrendous but.... :)

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby singemfrc » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:26 pm

ioio wrote:Any guesses as to how long the lines are this evening (Saturday) or tomorrow (Sunday)? I assume horrendous but.... :)

Yeah I almost was going to go the park on Monday but then I remembered it was a holiday weekend, gonna be packed Saturday-Monday. I'll drop in Thursday instead since I happen to have a day off work in the middle of the week.
Favorite Steel: Green Lantern First Flight (SFMM) - I know, I'm crazy. I love the unpredictability of it.
Favorite Wood: Ghost Rider (KBF) - since the refurb it is amazing!
Most Wanted: Starry Sky Scraper, El Toro, I305, Batman (SFFT), Eejanaika, Dinoconda, Insane, Outlaw Run

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby singemfrc » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:21 pm

Quick note - when I was there Thursday they were soliciting single riders for Superman! Very nice to see that being done again!

Rode Wonder Woman and actually really liked it. Probably the most intense ride in the park G-Forces-wise. It really moves when it gets up to the top, I thought my shoes were going to get yanked off my feet!
Favorite Steel: Green Lantern First Flight (SFMM) - I know, I'm crazy. I love the unpredictability of it.
Favorite Wood: Ghost Rider (KBF) - since the refurb it is amazing!
Most Wanted: Starry Sky Scraper, El Toro, I305, Batman (SFFT), Eejanaika, Dinoconda, Insane, Outlaw Run

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby Jameslofton » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:46 pm

I went yesterday. Anyone know how long V2 has been down? That was one of the main rides I was looking forward to(never been on one of those) and it was closed. It never opened.

After lurking here for months, I was so hyped getting to ride my first RMC. We got lucky as we went straight to Joker when the park opened. There were a million people at the park yet only 7 people ahead of us in line waiting for Joker to open. Got on the first train(back row) It was really intense and cant wait to eventually ride the other RMCs as most here seem to rank it near the bottom. I only rode it one time unfortunately. That line became pretty insane after we got off and remained consistent throughout our stay. I'm not the president of the long lines fan club so I'm not going to any more parks without buying a fast pass. A park would have to be a ghost town for me not to consider it.

I got to ride my first Boomerang. I took family on this trip(my mom, aunt, and uncle) and my uncle was literally praying to God as Boomerang took us backwards on the lift. I was laughing. It was actually a bit embarassing as there was two little girls in the seats in front of us and they were calm, cool, and collected. My neck hurts today and I'm pretty sure its from this ride.

Scat-A-Bout was down...another bummer. The scrambler was my favorite ride at the fair when I was about 4-5 years old and looked forward to riding one again. Maybe next time.

Question about Ark/Sea Dragon. These were at fairs in the 80s/90s. Were they always this small or is it just in my mind after my lengthy absence from going to parks? I remember them as being much bigger and going higher in my youth. If you sit in the middle, you're barely off the ground.

I should've rode a bunch of rides by myself. They weren't too interested in riding thrill rides once we got there.. He backed out of Medusa as we were literally inches from boarding so we just turned around and went back. I said we'll ride Skyscreamer instead and come back to Medusa later. Nobody wanted to ride the swings but I've always wanted to ride crazy swings and wasn't leaving the park without doing it so I had to ride alone. I loved it but the ride was a bit short. I could've swung up there all day. Cant imagine how bat poop crazy those swings in Texas are.

Monsoon Falls got us soaking wet. I hadn't been to this park since 1998 and I barely got wet at all back then. We were drenched and I immediately regretted wearing my boots. We rode the rapids a bit later and I was again surpised to get so wet. The rapids at CGA in the 80s-90s didn't seem to do so much water damage. My interest in water rides was at a low to begin with....I cant swim and for many who cant swim, these types of rides last on the totem pole although I do want to ride a log ride. Haven't been on one since 1995. Once I get another one of those under my belt, I can happily retire from water rides. I have less than zero interest in water parks but after reading this forum I realize they are a blessing in disguise....they'll ciphon a huge chunk of the crowd away and will shorten the lines.

My mom nutted up on Cobra. If you were at SFDK yesterday and heard a 62 year old woman screaming on Kobra, that was her. It actually surprised me. She screamed bloody murder on Patriot when we went to CGA in May but I wasn't expecting such a reaction on THAT. Not really sure why she wants to go to amusement parks with me if she's going to have such reactions. I know its mainly for the overall experience and to simply go on a few trips with me but she'll say she wants to go on 1 or 2 "big rides" but once we get to a park, she starts getting scared. Oh well....she wanted to ride a few coasters as it was on her bucket list(until CGA a couple months ago, she'd never been to a real amusement park) and she accomplished that with Patriot, Gold Striker, Psycho Mouse, and now Kobra.

Our last ride of the day was Wonder Woman. We were thinking about leaving but I wasn't leaving without riding it. Its the brand new ride and it looks amazing. My uncle started praying again while we were in line and we watched two rides during our wait. He was thinking about backing out. Its a bit understandable I suppose as it feels like its inches from your head as it flies by. I told him to just not look at it and it'll calm his nerves. This ride was really intense(along with his "Save me Jesus" commentary to heighten the experience) and I loved the end when your upside down and staring down at the road like you're going to crash right into it. That fence adds an extra thrill to the ride. When I go back again, I'm gonna ride it many times.

I gotta buy the drink plan on my next park trip. I get cotton mouth after every ride and twenty bucks a pop(buying four each time) starts adding up quickly. I don't like carrying anything in the park and while I paid for a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo, don't feel like going back to it repeatedly but I'm gonna have to as its not worth spending a hundred bucks or more on soda just to avoid carrying a bottle around.

The merch here wasn't that impressive although I didn't check out every shop. I wanted to buy a Joker shirt but all the shirts I saw available were just pictures of Joker. I saw nothing coaster related and it was more like a comic book/movie design than anything about the ride. Maybe they were sold out of the shirts or they simply don't have them for this particular ride. Only thing I bought were some souvenirs(necklaces and bracelets) at the butterfly exhibit.

I thought I read awhile back in this thread that they were going to get rid of the Go-Karts. They were closed most of the day but I saw them open before we left. It does look like a prime spot to build something else.

This park seems to have much less emphasis on animals than yesteryear. When I went in summer 98 they had whales and it seemed like most of the focus was on animal events. The animal stuff that remains doesn't seem to attract big crowds although I am basing this on one visit. I know the back of the park is dead in comparison to the front.Not sure if they have any room but they should consider bringing something else(even flat rides) to that area if possible.

When going to the major parks(Magic Mountan this fall, Cedar Point and Knotts next year), I'm gonna take a girlfriend with me to ride the coasters and my mom can just sit back and relax if she still wants to go. I might take my uncle to Magic Mountain too(he's more like a brother than uncle, two year age difference) but I'm not gonna keep paying for people to go on these trips with me if they're not really interested in riding much, if anything. All my aunt rode was the rapids, falls, and teacups and she only rode those because we all did. She'd also get in these little digs every now and then and someone with that attitude doesn't need to be going in the first place, especially on my dime. I mainly wanted her there to keep my mom company but I have my limits, even moreso when it starts impacting my experience.

I need to start working out. You don't realize how out of shape you are until walking miles around the parks. In the future, I need an actual plan at these parks so I'm not walking back and forth all day. We'd ride one ride, go walk to the other side of the park(butterfly exhibit for example), then walk all the way back around and ride something, then go back. I was exhausted after just 3-4 hours and everyone was ready to leave even though we hadn't rode everything yet(Superman, Medusa, and Kong the main examples).

I wanted to do a much better TR but my phone died less than an hour after arriving and besides, it wasn't the greatest experience under the circumstances. I gotta go back...maybe next year...and hit all the rides I missed.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!