Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

P. 612 - Harley Quinn Crazy Coaster for 2018!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Postby JacquesB » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:07 am

I think I'll pass on this one. There are way more exciting rides coming.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Fire2box » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:18 am

joshfreund wrote:This our first look at trex track?

isn't CGA getting Trex track with it's trail blazer coaster? Either way i'm happy RMC gets to make the track for this ride.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby DoubleDown » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:06 am

Is there a reason this park can't put a coaster or new attraction anywhere but in the 2 dead end corners of the park where there is already a surplus of rides almost literally right on top of one another?

There is SO MUCH room throughout this park that goes unused, but for some reason the areas of the park that have the most concrete and the least amount of shade keep getting installations!

Went to SFDK back in July, the dumb larson looper wasn't even operating, not that I would have ridden it, but I don't know why they even have one of those in the park, it's the exact same carnival trailer ride I went on 20 years ago and it really looked super tacky at a park (even with all the cheap attempts Six Flags did with trying to disguise it as a permanent attraction). This ride is almost identical with a couple different elements but it's definitely an improvement over the larson looper, I would actually give this ride a go around.

SFDK was really one of the most awkward designed, head scratching parks I've been to in a while where there seems to be a ton of potential, but the forethought of Six Flags really seems to be lacking. Even with that said I enjoyed a lot of the attractions there and left wanting to come back again some day. Not to mention I LOVED V2, that horizontal spike was a LOT of fun, and I thought Joker was up there with Twisted Colossus as far as a fun, re-rideable coaster that no doubt replaced a woodie that was past its prime.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby DILinator » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:04 am

larrygator wrote:
SharkTums wrote:Whoa Whoa Whoa...why is everyone loving on this ride!!?!??! This is no different from the Super Loops that everyone hated on! Oh and btw, this park ALREADY HAS A SUPER LOOP!!! AHH!!! Coaster people, come on!!!

Pretty much solely because no one has seen a Skywarp previously in an amusement park. That's my guess.

I would say that, but also, I would say because of two other reasons...

1) No one has seen a Skywarp previously in a fair, either, which is one of the BIG knocks on the Super Loops, and why they get hated on.

and...

2) It's a little more involved of a ride experience than a Super Loop, which, although I've yet to ride an "Amusement Park" model, are fairly basic in their ride experience, from having ridden them at fairs for years. This involves a twist (literally), and a near head-on collision (visually at least), which should add to the thrill for some riders at least. So there's that...
Top 10 Coasters! 1.Fury 2.Millennium Force 3.Maverick 4.The Voyage 5. Lightning Rod 6.Storm Chaser 7.El Toro 8.Phantom's Revenge 9. Goliath (SFGAm) 10. Ravine Flyer II Honorable Mentions: Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby TM3988 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:03 am

djackson wrote:I think we can all agree that this park needs to chill out on coasters for a bit. They've gotten 3 coasters in the past 5-6 years.

5-6 years? the only new "coaster" they've built in the past 5-6 years is Superman and the Joker. The Larson looper and this new ride are debatably called "coasters." you must not be reading the thread. :roll:

People are excited about this ride because its something new and because of the two-train gimmick. I think its a cool concept and I'm glad this park is getting it but I do agree with most people on here...they have too many coasters with forward and back motions.. I would really love to see this place get an out and back and on the opposite side of the park in the future. They keep adding rides to the front of the park but I feel like thats an easy way out for them. Yes I understand there are animals on the other side of the park but if they got creative, I bet they could think of something really cool and unique.

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:08 am

To GP, the rides are whatever the park tells them. So yes Larson loop and Sky Warp are coasters and I think this is a very smart move for SF.

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:30 am

So much hating and complaining! If you look at what the other Six Flags parks got this year, everything except the Spinsanity/Cyborg flat that SFOT and SFNE are getting and debatably what TGE is getting either a) SFDK already has or b ) SFDK cannot get at this time (i.e. water slide).

This is a first of its kind and totally unique ride, and all the rides mentioned that have "similar experiences" are totally different and fun in their own ways. No one complains when there are two B&Ms in a park that the ride experiences are too similar even if they have similar elements. (I know that might be a stretch comparing two B&Ms vs. this and a Larson Loop, but I'm just trying to make a point).

At least the two rides in question are on opposite ends of the park. I really don't think any GP will draw conclusions between the two, and without riding this, we really don't know how similar or dissimilar the rides are. I'm pleased that yet again SFDK will debut a "first of its kind" ride, even if it gets cloned to death in the future.

Also, there probably aren't too many rides that would fit in that location. I'm surprised anything could. I'm still very pleased that nothing has to be taken out to add this (except maybe the tiny gift shop?)

Fire2box wrote:
joshfreund wrote:This our first look at trex track?

isn't CGA getting Trex track with it's trail blazer coaster? Either way i'm happy RMC gets to make the track for this ride.

Raptor track.

DoubleDown wrote:Is there a reason this park can't put a coaster or new attraction anywhere but in the 2 dead end corners of the park where there is already a surplus of rides almost literally right on top of one another?

There is SO MUCH room throughout this park that goes unused, but for some reason the areas of the park that have the most concrete and the least amount of shade keep getting installations!

Went to SFDK back in July, the dumb larson looper wasn't even operating, not that I would have ridden it, but I don't know why they even have one of those in the park, it's the exact same carnival trailer ride I went on 20 years ago and it really looked super tacky at a park (even with all the cheap attempts Six Flags did with trying to disguise it as a permanent attraction). This ride is almost identical with a couple different elements but it's definitely an improvement over the larson looper, I would actually give this ride a go around.

SFDK was really one of the most awkward designed, head scratching parks I've been to in a while where there seems to be a ton of potential, but the forethought of Six Flags really seems to be lacking. Even with that said I enjoyed a lot of the attractions there and left wanting to come back again some day. Not to mention I LOVED V2, that horizontal spike was a LOT of fun, and I thought Joker was up there with Twisted Colossus as far as a fun, re-rideable coaster that no doubt replaced a woodie that was past its prime.

Do you know anything about the history of the park? SFDK wasn't a Premier park until late 90s, and not Six Flags until early 2000s. They didn't get their first coaster until '98 (Boomerang and Kong), which is relatively new for theme park standards. So, Six Flags didn't design this park, and it was never originally designed for coasters.

As far as we know, there is still a height restriction for rides that is a bit more relaxed at the front of the park (150') and more strict towards the back (<50'). At this point, what's the point of adding one flat toward the back of the park where most people who want to ride rides will forget/not notice it? Generally, the adult rides are sequestered to the two front areas, and that's where people who want to ride rides generally hang out. My main complaint is the difficulty getting from the now DC rides area to the Medusa area, but when you compare that walk to much more spread out parks like Magic Mountain, it's really nothing at all.

My 5-year plan rides-wise would include a drop tower, family coaster, and maybe a transportation-type ride (sky buckets, anyone?), but I'm perfectly cool with the thrill rides they've been getting after we endured years of kids' additions.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Manic Monte » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:02 am

^ You got it. SFDK used to be my homepark, and yes, you are right .

Also, much care has been taking by Six Flags to not build loud roller coasters near the animals in the inner workings of the park. Instead, building on the outer perimeter of the property.

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:13 am

Manic Monte wrote:^ You got it. SFDK used to be my homepark, and yes, you are right .

Also, much care has been taking by Six Flags to not build loud roller coasters near the animals in the inner workings of the park. Instead, building on the outer perimeter of the property.

Thankfully, it seems that SFDK has been able to fly under the radar for the most part in the wake of all the negative PR Seaworld has had to endure in regards to their animals. Better to tread lightly in this time when it comes to anything concerning the animals. They got rid of their orca just in time, it seems, although I will forever miss seeing Shouka (and before that, Yaka and Vigga).

My longgg time goal for them has been to do some kind of upgrade to the dolphin pools, similar to the Blue World Project Seaworld proposed. However, at this time it would probably be very bad to market anything having to do with animals and specifically marine life, as that would set themselves up as a target for PETA and other activists.

Part of me wonders if they may have had some animal-related proposals in their 5-year plan that they shelved in favor of these thrill rides because of everything that's happening with Seaworld. Just a personal musing.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby CoasterGuy06 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:39 am

DoubleDown wrote:Went to SFDK back in July, the dumb larson looper wasn't even operating, not that I would have ridden it, but I don't know why they even have one of those in the park, it's the exact same carnival trailer ride I went on 20 years ago and it really looked super tacky at a park (even with all the cheap attempts Six Flags did with trying to disguise it as a permanent attraction).

It IS a permanent attraction. They can't just pack it up and move it in a day. It's not portable.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!