Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

P. 612 - Harley Quinn Crazy Coaster for 2018!
Users viewing this topic: Bing [Bot] and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Re: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Postby jonskinny12 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:11 pm

moviemansig wrote:What is the latest on Harley Quinn?

They seem to have cancelled the video shoot for last week. It was supposed to be Thursday but I was there and there wasn't anything happened over there, and now that post has disappeared from their social channels. On their Instagram they said that they're putting some finishing touches on it after some technical rehearsals but didn't commit to any date.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby jramo14 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:36 pm

I am planning on visiting the park for the first time this coming Monday the 13th. Weather is looking good and the park is open from 11am to 6 pm. I plan on getting there at opening and staying for 4 to 5 hours. Is this enough time to get all the major coasters and thrill rides done (with some time for re-rides of Joker, Medusa, and Superman)? If anyone has any tips for me so I can enjoy my trip as best as possible and use my time efficiently I'd appreciate it. I'm assuming V2 will not be open form reading the forum which sucks, hoping that Harley Quinn will be open in time for my visit. Also since it's a Monday what should I expect for lines on the major coasters and operations? Hopefully they aren't doing one train operations. Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:10 am

jramo14 wrote:I am planning on visiting the park for the first time this coming Monday the 13th. Weather is looking good and the park is open from 11am to 6 pm. I plan on getting there at opening and staying for 4 to 5 hours. Is this enough time to get all the major coasters and thrill rides done (with some time for re-rides of Joker, Medusa, and Superman)? If anyone has any tips for me so I can enjoy my trip as best as possible and use my time efficiently I'd appreciate it. I'm assuming V2 will not be open form reading the forum which sucks, hoping that Harley Quinn will be open in time for my visit. Also since it's a Monday what should I expect for lines on the major coasters and operations? Hopefully they aren't doing one train operations. Thanks ahead of time for your help.

I visited on a Monday a few weeks ago (7/23), and lines were VERY manageable. Surprisingly, Superman had the shortest line in the park all day. They were pumping out trains every 30 seconds it seems. There was a time in the late afternoon when there was absolutely nobody in line, so as soon as we parked back in the station, they asked us if we wanted to ride again and launched us again after a quick release and lock of the lap bars. It was awesome! It seems to be super reliable and it's an awesome coaster.

Joker and Medusa should be running both trains, but there's a possibility Medusa will only be running one since I heard they were a few days ago. Joker also breaks down fairly often, so don't be surprised if it's only running one train at some point throughout the day. Kong was also running one train when I was there, but the second looked full assembled and on the transfer track (the ride sucks though, if you don't care much about credits I would just skip it). V2 is closed, the train is completely disassembled in the station.

As for park strategy, after entering I would go left and do Joker first, followed by Wonder Woman (if you are in to flat rides) and Superman. I highly doubt HQ will be open, but I supposed hit that too if it is, and if you care. Then I would head back to the other side of the park and hit Medusa, Cobra (if it's open, it was closed when I went), and Kong if you want the credit. Don't forget about Boomerang, again if you want the credit. Both were one and done rides for me. By then you'll probably have an hour or two to spare, so I guess it's up to you on what you want to re-ride, if you want to see animals, eat, etc. I highly recommended re-riding Joker at least one or two times, it really warms up as the day goes on. Grab a back seat ride if you can!

It really is a good park. I hear people trash on it a lot (mostly on the enthusiast whining fest that is Instagram), but I was pleasantly surprised. Operations were MUCH better than expected, and despite Kong and Boomerang being terrible rides, I think Medusa, Joker, and Superman is a really solid top 3, and all three coasters had above average operations when I went. Have fun!
Steel: 160 / Wood: 32 / Total: 192
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Sportsdude360 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:28 pm

I'm interested in how the new Skyline Skywarp is working out, as I'm afraid this is what we'll be getting nexr year here at SFOT.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby jramo14 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:09 am

Thanks so much thrillseeker4552 for all the helpful information and advice I appreciate it! Looking forward to enjoying my first visit to the park.

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby moviemansig » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:46 am

Does anyone know why the park is only open from 11-6 on 8/26?

Postby jonskinny12 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:15 am

moviemansig wrote:Does anyone know why the park is only open from 11-6 on 8/26?

By looking at the September calendar this seems to be what they do on weekends between then and Fright Fest, other than Labor Day weekend.

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby moviemansig » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:29 pm

I don't recall them closing this early before on a weekend August day. I know CA Great America is open from 10-10 that same day.

Postby jonskinny12 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:47 pm

Hmm I don't know then. That was just my best guess by looking at the calendar.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby VegasBaby » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:57 pm

moviemansig wrote:Does anyone know why the park is only open from 11-6 on 8/26?

Because Six Flags are cheap asses and they don't want to have to pay for two shifts.
Coaster Count: 202 Last Coaster: El Toro
Top Ten: 1) Superman:TR 2) Millennium Force 3) X2 4) Skyrush 5) El Toro 6) Twisted Colossus 7) Maverick 8) Mako 9) Lightning Rod 10) Storm Runner

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!