TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

I just received an interesting invite for a FB event at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom.

Six Flags Snow Day presented by Hallmark Channel

Be a part of the most epic Snow Day EVER at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, presented by Hallmark Channel!

Visit the park on Saturday, Dec. 9 to be a part of a fun winter's day filled with thrills, chills and THE WORLD'S LARGEST SNOWBALL FIGHT!

To participate, arrive at the park approximately one hour before scheduled park opening (gates will open at 12:30 p.m.) to receive your special event wristband. Be among the first 200 guests and you may receive a special Snow Day surprise while supplies last.*

All guests must be present at check-in to receive their event wristband and must have valid park admission to participate.

SPREAD WARMTH AND SAVE BIG ON SIX FLAGS SNOW DAY

Help give back to those in need of the items required to keep warm all winter long! Donate new, unworn, warm clothing at the park's front gate on Dec. 9 and receive 40% off park admission to participate in Six Flags Snow Day, presented by Hallmark Channel. All donations collected will be donated to the Salvation Army to help keep the nation warm this winter.**

NOTE: Snowball Fight will be a family-friendly event executed with kid-friendly plush snowballs while supplies last.

*Valid theme park admission ticket AND event wristband are required for entry. Each wristband allows one guest early entry to participate in the Snowball Fight. Check-in will begin one hour before scheduled park opening at the front gate entrance for event wristband distribution.

Totally wish I could go! This sounds awesome! Someone in the area should go and report back.

Does anyone know how long Wonder Woman, Boomerang, and Dare Devil have been down for? Thanks.

Boomerang and Dare Devil for yearly refurbishment and Wonder Woman for some unknown problem.

From what I have heard Wonder Woman needs a new motor already.

Does anyone know how long Wonder Woman, Boomerang, and Dare Devil have been down for? Thanks.

Boomerang and Dare Devil for yearly refurbishment and Wonder Woman for some unknown problem.

From what I have heard Wonder Woman needs a new motor already.

Wow, hope that's under warranty

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, it has been a long time since I have posted. I am new to Northern California and I was thinking about making a trip to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom this Monday (New Years Day). I have never been to SFDK before and I am just wondering what I should be expecting in terms of rides operating (or not operating) and crowds?

Just seeing if it is worth shelling out $90 for a day ticket and parking as well as a nearly 2 hour trip from the Santa Cruz area. Thanks for your help!

^If you’re going to spend $90 for a day ticket, just buy a season pass at that point. That is always the way to go with Six Flags. Plus, that pass can also get you into Magic Mountain if you ever find yourself available to head down there.

I can’t speak about crowds, since I’ve never been to the park, but I assume it will be crowded considering they are still open daily the week of New Years.

Yeah, I would get a season pass as well. If you have 4 or more people, you can get them for $65 each, and it's upgraded to Gold with free parking. As for New Year's Day, it's pretty good at opening, but get's pretty busy later on. Most people are too tired in the morning and hung over to get the park at opening. However, the park doesn't open until 11 am so it won't be dead, but not too bad in the morning.

Thank you for the quick responses. I may end up getting the season pass since I do spend time down in SoCal and I may do a trip to Magic Mountain. I do plan on flying solo on my trip to SFDK so the group of four discount will not apply.

The park is open such a short window of time (10:30 AM - 6 PM) and I am going to do all I can to avoid eating in the park (probably means an early lunch). If either The Joker or Medusa are not operating, I am not even going to bother making the trip. Have those rides been consistently running even during the winter season?

^If you’re going to spend $90 for a day ticket, just buy a season pass at that point. That is always the way to go with Six Flags. Plus, that pass can also get you into Magic Mountain if you ever find yourself available to head down there.

+1

Just buy a season pass. It's good at all Six Flags parks for all of 2018, and it will get you free parking at all Six Flags parks. You can't really go wrong with it!

Thank you for your help! I bit the bullet and decided to go to SFDK today. First time! I will let you know how my trip goes!

UPDATE: It ended up being a good day overall! All the major rides were operating, besides V2 being down for about an hour (I've heard that happens quite a bit). The park was absolutely dead for the first three hours. I guess everyone was sleeping in from their NYE gatherings last night, despite the park opening at 11:00 AM. The longest I waited for a ride was a two train wait for The Joker toward the end of the day.

I got multiple rides on The Joker, Superman, V2, Medusa, Kong, and Boomerang (plus one ride on Wonder Woman) by 2:00 PM. The Joker was my first RMC and I absolutely loved it. I've heard it's the worst RMC but I still found it to be a very fun ride. I rode it 9 times total, with most of those rides in the back seat. It was great getting some B&M back in my life with Medusa. That's a solid floorless roller coaster. I loved the straight drop and that sea serpent element is a nice departure from the standard cobra roll most floorlesses have. Kong was my first SLC. I felt like a masochist as I endured four rides on it. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but my expectations for SLC were very low. It was still very rough and I ended each ride with a headache.

I've heard really bad things about the customer service at the park. I got to say that the Ride Ops were very kind and enthusiastic for the most part at the beginning of the day. However, I heard some attitude from several employees as the park got more crowded. Some of them got visibly frustrated with the smallest things that other guests were doing. That was a bit disappointing. I did not bother getting food in the park which was a wise choice after seeing the lines at the places that were open.

I am glad I went. It was a very full day and relatively stress-free with the lack of crowds. I was thinking about upgrading to a pass while I was there but I don't think it is worth the 2 hour trip again. Unless they get another major roller coaster, I do not plan on visiting it again in the near future. I definitely got my fill of SFDK today. Now, time to check out California's Great America when it opens for the season.

Thanks for reading my mini trip report!

Edited by alpengeistdude321

• 2 weeks later...
Is there any updates on Harley Quinn's Crazy Coaster?

I was at the park last Sunday, and absolutely nothing has happened as of yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't start construction until next month. In other news, my 7 year old daughter finally hit 48 inches and got her first rides on The Joker. Her response: "It was scary, but fun. I wanna go again!" Proud papa right here.

I was at the park last Sunday, and absolutely nothing has happened as of yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't start construction until next month. In other news, my 7 year old daughter finally hit 48 inches and got her first rides on The Joker. Her response: "It was scary, but fun. I wanna go again!" Proud papa right here.

From one dad to another, congrats! You're doing it right.

I was just going to ask this! I'm wondering if the track has been shipped yet.

The supports should be done being made soon as pictures have been posted to facebook and the footer rebar is about to be shipped to the park soon I believe according to SkyLine. The ride will however be put together in Orlando first for testing then shipped to the park according to Skyline.

I was just going to ask this! I'm wondering if the track has been shipped yet.

The supports should be done being made soon as pictures have been posted to facebook and the footer rebar is about to be shipped to the park soon I believe according to SkyLine. The ride will however be put together in Orlando first for testing then shipped to the park according to Skyline.

Really? Did they not test it before they sold it? That seems odd.