TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

I hadn't thought to watch the POV until now. I imagined the ride operating like the Larson loops with a conveyor belt type platform running the length of the track. After watching the POV, this looks more like a coaster. The tires are only in the station area and are like any tire driven launch. Then there doesn't appear to be anything on the rest of the track.

HQ.JPG.d5ba3adc2e4c661ff0c70bcea796fe62.JPG

Though if the two trains are independent of each other, what happens if one side were to rollback and the other didn't? I'm sure it was thought of, but I can't see how if the tires are only in the station area.

I was waiting to judge "coaster-ness" it until I could ride

Same. I always wait to ride things before judging their coasterness. That's why I could El Diablo Loop Coaster as 11 credits. It's has 11 times more coasterness than a standard coaster. Pipe Scream ranges from 6 to 7 times more coasterness than a standard coaster so I round up to 7, divide and carry the four.

I'm in the presence of a real king of comedy. It's been a real treat to see the same joke posted in every thread for the past couple months. Can't wait for more!!!!!!

I'm in the presence of a real king of comedy. It's been a real treat to see the same joke posted in every thread for the past couple months. Can't wait for more!!!!!!

The best part about it is you just know there are people out there who read it and have this response:

giphy.gif

It's been a real treat to see the same joke posted in every thread for the past couple months. Can't wait for more!!!!!!

1) It's no longer a joke. It's real life.

2) It blows my mind that you insist on having a passive aggressive response to EVERYTHING. Relax, buddy. It's like you saw a thread where everyone was laughing about Skyline Attractions having some fun with the RCDB guys at IAPPA and insisted on showing up and sucking the life out of the thread by being passive aggressive for no reason. I don't get it. Nobody was trying to start anything, we're having fun because this is inherently funny which is probably the only reason Skyline Attractions posted it in the first place.

^ The trains are connected aren't they?

Looks like they'll be tire propelled just like the old Schwarzkopf Katapult coasters.

https://rcdb.com/8237.htm

Yes, from the promo video it appears that the trains are connected, so there's no threat of them running into each other during a rollback. I've never seen those Katapult coasters before but their design is similar to the Skywarp. I think that we are going to see a lot more of these Skywarps and the other models shown by Skyline at IAAPA. They are low cost coasters that can fit into small areas, so I think there will be a big market for them.

2) It blows my mind that you insist on having a passive aggressive response to EVERYTHING. Relax, buddy. It's like you saw a thread where everyone was laughing about Skyline Attractions having some fun with the RCDB guys at IAPPA and insisted on showing up and sucking the life out of the thread by being passive aggressive for no reason. I don't get it. Nobody was trying to start anything, we're having fun because this is inherently funny which is probably the only reason Skyline Attractions posted it in the first place.

I don't get where you're getting a passive aggressive vibe from the first comment, I read it as something as simple as, "Well that settles it, I was going to wait and see myself to see how close it is to a coaster but now we know." Projection maybe?

I don't get where you're getting a passive aggressive vibe from the first comment

I'm not. My comment back to him was said in a joking way because the word "coaster-ness" is funny. His initial post was totally reasonable. I'm responding to the second one, but now this topic is going way off the rails...

jesus, how the hell did this even become a thing? wtf?

It's been a real treat to see the same joke posted in every thread for the past couple months. Can't wait for more!!!!!!

1) It's no longer a joke. It's real life.

Nah, champ, I'm bein' serious - It's hilarious the way you triggered all those darned credit-counting enthusiasts! Love it, brotha!

Check out this wacky credit I found!

^ I have no idea what any of that means.

now this topic is going way off the rails...

Off the rails, as in no rails? If there are no rails it's not a coaster...........just sayin .

If I'm going to be totally serious for a change I totally feel like I "get it". The 2 "trains" are connected so I guess it's really just one huge train (so huge that it would make Harley Quinn Crazy Train proud) but it still only seems to cover about half the track. It seems to work because each station has drive tires and at the "train" is so long that at some point it's always going to be contacting those drive tires in one station or another. So if I'm understanding correctly then really the "train" only covers about half of the track at a time so it sort of does move around the track more like a coaster would.

I still feel like this is totally up to interpretation and I don't really care that much. But I guess I get it. Then again I legitimately DO get the argument for Pipe Scream too (or even something like Demon Drop) and in the end I don't really care either way what people decide. I get their argument. It seems reasonable enough to me (assuming I'm correctly understanding the mechanics of this thing).

Though if the two trains are independent of each other, what happens if one side were to rollback and the other didn't? I'm sure it was thought of, but I can't see how if the tires are only in the station area.

I think they're connected to eachother which is why they listed it as one train but I could be wrong. It's just a huge "train" and only the 2 extreme ends have seats or anything resembling an actual ride vehicle (I think). The conveyor belt type platform doesn't run the length of the track but it does run the length of the track between the two "trains" going one direction.

Like most others, I don’t really care if people choose to count this as a credit or not. But this is definitely WAY more of a coaster than the Super Loops, so I can see both sides.

Honestly, though I'm not about to debate anyone on it, I do consider these to be coaster credits. I think what has happened with me is I now believe in adding roller coaster sub categories, and that makes it easier to not have my head explode every time a ride like this comes out.

Like most others, I don’t really care if people choose to count this as a credit or not. But this is definitely WAY more of a coaster than the Super Loops, so I can see both sides.

Honestly, though I'm not about to debate anyone on it, I do consider these to be coaster credits. I think what has happened with me is I now believe in adding roller coaster sub categories, and that makes it easier to not have my head explode every time a ride like this comes out.

Lol. I'm sort of the same way.

I basically just go off of RCDB. If they count it, I count it. That's the easiest way for me to keep track. But in the end, it's just personal preference.

I honestly was surprised to see they put it on RCDB. I'll have to see video of it/actually ride it to understand better why they did this.

Horrible example (or not?) but I look at this kinda like the "did I lose my virginity?" argument. If you feel it's a coaster when you ride it, then for you it is. Just because it isn't a coaster for someone else, doesn't mean it's not for you

I don't think I will count it. Similarly, I don't plan to count alpine coasters either and they are on RCDB. But if you do, well now you have solid justification. Either way, you do you.

• 2 weeks later...
Visiting the Bay Area and was surprised to see no weekday operating hours for Discovery Kingdom despite the weather being in the high 50s/low 60s this time of year. Has it always been like this? Guess there’s always next time.

The weather here in the bay area fluxes a lot (one of the perks of living in the area), so it helps if the park keeps it scheduled standardized. They'd probably be fielding a lot more complaints with the schedule open during the winter time, and having to eventually close due to weather.