TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Any guesses as to how long the lines are this evening (Saturday) or tomorrow (Sunday)? I assume horrendous but....

Yeah I almost was going to go the park on Monday but then I remembered it was a holiday weekend, gonna be packed Saturday-Monday. I'll drop in Thursday instead since I happen to have a day off work in the middle of the week.

Quick note - when I was there Thursday they were soliciting single riders for Superman! Very nice to see that being done again!

Rode Wonder Woman and actually really liked it. Probably the most intense ride in the park G-Forces-wise. It really moves when it gets up to the top, I thought my shoes were going to get yanked off my feet!

• 2 weeks later...

I went yesterday. Anyone know how long V2 has been down? That was one of the main rides I was looking forward to(never been on one of those) and it was closed. It never opened.

After lurking here for months, I was so hyped getting to ride my first RMC. We got lucky as we went straight to Joker when the park opened. There were a million people at the park yet only 7 people ahead of us in line waiting for Joker to open. Got on the first train(back row) It was really intense and cant wait to eventually ride the other RMCs as most here seem to rank it near the bottom. I only rode it one time unfortunately. That line became pretty insane after we got off and remained consistent throughout our stay. I'm not the president of the long lines fan club so I'm not going to any more parks without buying a fast pass. A park would have to be a ghost town for me not to consider it.

I got to ride my first Boomerang. I took family on this trip(my mom, aunt, and uncle) and my uncle was literally praying to God as Boomerang took us backwards on the lift. I was laughing. It was actually a bit embarassing as there was two little girls in the seats in front of us and they were calm, cool, and collected. My neck hurts today and I'm pretty sure its from this ride.

Scat-A-Bout was down...another bummer. The scrambler was my favorite ride at the fair when I was about 4-5 years old and looked forward to riding one again. Maybe next time.

Question about Ark/Sea Dragon. These were at fairs in the 80s/90s. Were they always this small or is it just in my mind after my lengthy absence from going to parks? I remember them as being much bigger and going higher in my youth. If you sit in the middle, you're barely off the ground.

I should've rode a bunch of rides by myself. They weren't too interested in riding thrill rides once we got there.. He backed out of Medusa as we were literally inches from boarding so we just turned around and went back. I said we'll ride Skyscreamer instead and come back to Medusa later. Nobody wanted to ride the swings but I've always wanted to ride crazy swings and wasn't leaving the park without doing it so I had to ride alone. I loved it but the ride was a bit short. I could've swung up there all day. Cant imagine how bat poop crazy those swings in Texas are.

Monsoon Falls got us soaking wet. I hadn't been to this park since 1998 and I barely got wet at all back then. We were drenched and I immediately regretted wearing my boots. We rode the rapids a bit later and I was again surpised to get so wet. The rapids at CGA in the 80s-90s didn't seem to do so much water damage. My interest in water rides was at a low to begin with....I cant swim and for many who cant swim, these types of rides last on the totem pole although I do want to ride a log ride. Haven't been on one since 1995. Once I get another one of those under my belt, I can happily retire from water rides. I have less than zero interest in water parks but after reading this forum I realize they are a blessing in disguise....they'll ciphon a huge chunk of the crowd away and will shorten the lines.

My mom nutted up on Cobra. If you were at SFDK yesterday and heard a 62 year old woman screaming on Kobra, that was her. It actually surprised me. She screamed bloody murder on Patriot when we went to CGA in May but I wasn't expecting such a reaction on THAT. Not really sure why she wants to go to amusement parks with me if she's going to have such reactions. I know its mainly for the overall experience and to simply go on a few trips with me but she'll say she wants to go on 1 or 2 "big rides" but once we get to a park, she starts getting scared. Oh well....she wanted to ride a few coasters as it was on her bucket list(until CGA a couple months ago, she'd never been to a real amusement park) and she accomplished that with Patriot, Gold Striker, Psycho Mouse, and now Kobra.

Our last ride of the day was Wonder Woman. We were thinking about leaving but I wasn't leaving without riding it. Its the brand new ride and it looks amazing. My uncle started praying again while we were in line and we watched two rides during our wait. He was thinking about backing out. Its a bit understandable I suppose as it feels like its inches from your head as it flies by. I told him to just not look at it and it'll calm his nerves. This ride was really intense(along with his "Save me Jesus" commentary to heighten the experience) and I loved the end when your upside down and staring down at the road like you're going to crash right into it. That fence adds an extra thrill to the ride. When I go back again, I'm gonna ride it many times.

I gotta buy the drink plan on my next park trip. I get cotton mouth after every ride and twenty bucks a pop(buying four each time) starts adding up quickly. I don't like carrying anything in the park and while I paid for a locker, don't feel like going back to it repeatedly but I'm gonna have to as its not worth spending a hundred bucks or more on soda just to avoid carrying a bottle around.

The merch here wasn't that impressive although I didn't check out every shop. I wanted to buy a Joker shirt but all the shirts I saw available were just pictures of Joker. I saw nothing coaster related and it was more like a comic book/movie design than anything about the ride. Maybe they were sold out of the shirts or they simply don't have them for this particular ride. Only thing I bought were some souvenirs(necklaces and bracelets) at the butterfly exhibit.

I thought I read awhile back in this thread that they were going to get rid of the Go-Karts. They were closed most of the day but I saw them open before we left. It does look like a prime spot to build something else.

This park seems to have much less emphasis on animals than yesteryear. When I went in summer 98 they had whales and it seemed like most of the focus was on animal events. The animal stuff that remains doesn't seem to attract big crowds although I am basing this on one visit. I know the back of the park is dead in comparison to the front.Not sure if they have any room but they should consider bringing something else(even flat rides) to that area if possible.

When going to the major parks(Magic Mountan this fall, Cedar Point and Knotts next year), I'm gonna take a girlfriend with me to ride the coasters and my mom can just sit back and relax if she still wants to go. I might take my uncle to Magic Mountain too(he's more like a brother than uncle, two year age difference) but I'm not gonna keep paying for people to go on these trips with me if they're not really interested in riding much, if anything. All my aunt rode was the rapids, falls, and teacups and she only rode those because we all did. She'd also get in these little digs every now and then and someone with that attitude doesn't need to be going in the first place, especially on my dime. I mainly wanted her there to keep my mom company but I have my limits, even moreso when it starts impacting my experience.

I need to start working out. You don't realize how out of shape you are until walking miles around the parks. In the future, I need an actual plan at these parks so I'm not walking back and forth all day. We'd ride one ride, go walk to the other side of the park(butterfly exhibit for example), then walk all the way back around and ride something, then go back. I was exhausted after just 3-4 hours and everyone was ready to leave even though we hadn't rode everything yet(Superman, Medusa, and Kong the main examples).

I wanted to do a much better TR but my phone died less than an hour after arriving and besides, it wasn't the greatest experience under the circumstances. I gotta go back...maybe next year...and hit all the rides I missed.

• 3 weeks later...

Since it hasn't really been brought up, what do think we'll be getting next year? This year seems really quiet in terms of rumors, which (coupled with the fact we've been going pretty good these last few years) means we probably won't be getting anything huge, but who knows?What do you guys think?

Since it hasn't really been brought up, what do think we'll be getting next year? This year seems really quiet in terms of rumors, which (coupled with the fact we've been going pretty good these last few years) means we probably won't be getting anything huge, but who knows?What do you guys think?

Honestly it's either 2 things, a S&S FreeSpin or a kids land upgrade to DC Super Friends. The freespin is more unlikely but still possible. The DC Superfriends is more likely as they really need to focus on the kids again. If they do the Kids Land upgrade I hope they pull a SFOG and SFNE and and refurb their rough vekoma by giving it new trains and possibly repainting it. Kong's VR refurb is wearing off and it's back to being rougher again.

^I agree with you about the need for children/family rides. After getting Superman, Dare Devil, Joker, and Wonder Woman all within 5 years, they could really use something for the families. I'd love to see a new family coaster at the park that doesn't go upside-down, but I doubt that will happen next year.

A Justice League would actually work well at this park, I think, nestled in their growing DC area, but I know Six Flags isn't planning on adding any in '18. I really hope it isn't a Free Spin, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I went yesterday. Anyone know how long V2 has been down? That was one of the main rides I was looking forward to(never been on one of those) and it was closed. It never opened.
It hasn't been down long term, but V2 is extremely finicky. If some kid so much as breathes on an air gate it goes down for hours. It goes down all the time. When I get to the park if I see its running I always say ride it now because you never know if it will be running later.

My neck hurts today and I'm pretty sure its from Boomerang.
It definitely is.

He backed out of Medusa as we were literally inches from boarding so we just turned around and went back. I said we'll ride Skyscreamer instead and come back to Medusa later. Nobody wanted to ride the swings but I've always wanted to ride crazy swings and wasn't leaving the park without doing it so I had to ride alone. I loved it but the ride was a bit short. I could've swung up there all day. Cant imagine how bat poop crazy those swings in Texas are.
Ironic because I think Medusa is probably less thrilling than Skyscreamer. Though if you come back during Fright Fest they run Skyscreamer backwards, which is pretty fun.

although I do want to ride a log ride.
Do Timber Mountain Log Ride at Knott's Berry Farm - definitely the best. You get misted/sprayed a bit but you don't really get soaked, and the ride itself is very well done. One of the best long rides there is.

^I agree with you about the need for children/family rides. After getting Superman, Dare Devil, Joker, and Wonder Woman all within 5 years, they could really use something for the families. I'd love to see a new family coaster at the park that doesn't go upside-down, but I doubt that will happen next year.

A Justice League would actually work well at this park, I think, nestled in their growing DC area, but I know Six Flags isn't planning on adding any in '18. I really hope it isn't a Free Spin, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I might actually be ok with a Free Spin in all honesty, even though that's kind of a basic addition. But I definitely agree they need to focus on the kids- the Looney Tunes area is really starting to look aged and could use a refurb. I really want us to get that Justice League dark ride, but at this point is just wishful thinking imo.

• 2 weeks later...

Can hardly wait to see what this years season pass sale is like, really hoping I don't need a group of 4+ to get free gold pass or a decent price on the meal pass. Could live without concord waterworld too.

going to be interesting though for sure.

I might actually be ok with a Free Spin in all honesty, even though that's kind of a basic addition. But I definitely agree they need to focus on the kids- the Looney Tunes area is really starting to look aged and could use a refurb. I really want us to get that Justice League dark ride, but at this point is just wishful thinking imo.

i'm wondering how much work and money it would cost to referb the action theater into justice Leauge. I'd miss salughterhouse farm but I don't think they did that in 2016.

• 2 weeks later...

A teaser was posted to Twitter! Captain Lee standing in front of V2 asking a magic 8 ball what we're getting in 2018 and it answers that it will be a ride and "make us scream."

Hmmm.... some sort of rehaul of V2? V2 needs some love but I can't imagine what they might do that's marketable for 2018 unless they're trying to do VR. Reallyyyy hoping it doesn't mean V2 is getting taken out.

Tweet

I'm placing my bets on a Free Spin, as well. I'll miss V2 if it is replaced by next year's attraction, but it's known for being temperamental, so I can't say I didn't see it coming.

Would rather see the go karts removed if something has to be.

As unlikely as it is to happen in the next few years, I too would like to see a non-upcharge attraction take the spot of the Go-Karts.

I would really like to see a family attraction come to the park, but if it indeed is a Free Spin, at least we know it won't be themed to the Joker! To be honest, I'm fine with Six Flags cloning those rides (they are a lot of fun), but I'd love to see them get more creative with the theme (but this is Six Flags we're talking about, so I should be realistic with my expectations).

Being that SFDK doesn't have a Batman attraction, if they receive a Free Spin next year, I could definitely see them go with a Batman theme. We'll find out Thursday!

Can't say that I'd be surprised if V2 is indeed replaced. It's highly temperamental and rarely seems to have a line. I'd rather see Kong removed, but it seems to (inexplicably) get more ridership than V2. While I'll certainly miss V2 and it's one-of-a-kind-ness, I'd rather have a free spin. I'll be most surprised if we're indeed getting another coaster. I mean, we just got a significant installation two seasons ago. Seems pretty soon to me.

While I'll certainly miss V2 and it's one-of-a-kind-ness, I'd rather have a free spin.

Shun the non-believer!

Getting rid of V2 will dramatically change the front gate area. I think it's awesome to be waiting at the front and have screaming riders flying above you. It has been down for extended periods of time, but I'm hoping there were other reasons behind that than unfixable problems with the coaster. Also, I'd like to see them add rides rather than remove any.

Crossing fingers. We shall see.

Every Impulse coaster has been rumored to be removed by the park it's in. Too bad, because I love them, and V2 is my personal favorite!

V2 is a lot of fun and is a great front gate coaster. Plus, I love how it's different from the other Intamin Impulse coasters out there. It would be great to see the park get a Free Spin but I hope it's not at the expense of V2 getting removed.

While I'll certainly miss V2 and it's one-of-a-kind-ness, I'd rather have a free spin.

Shun the non-believer!

Getting rid of V2 will dramatically change the front gate area. I think it's awesome to be waiting at the front and have screaming riders flying above you. It has been down for extended periods of time, but I'm hoping there were other reasons behind that than unfixable problems with the coaster. Also, I'd like to see them add rides rather than remove any.

I enjoy V2, but I simply had more fun on my 2 rides on Batman at SFFT than any of my rides on V2. It's a fun ride, but seeing as it feels like it's been closed more than it's been open the last couple of years, coupled with the fact that I've never seen it actually have a line, I suspect it could be on the chopping block.

The front gate area will undoubtably change, but S&S Free Spins have a certain amount of overhang as well. While it wouldn't extend nearly as far as V2, there could conceivably still be screaming people (somewhat) overhead while one waits to buy a ticket.

Yeah, I know you have a soft spot for V2. But, then again, you enjoy Kong as well.

Shun the non-believer!

I enjoy V2, but I simply had more fun on my 2 rides on Batman at SFFT than any of my rides on V2. It's a fun ride, but seeing as it feels like it's been closed more than it's been open the last couple of years, coupled with the fact that I've never seen it actually have a line, I suspect it could be on the chopping block.

The front gate area will undoubtably change, but S&S Free Spins have a certain amount of overhang as well. While it wouldn't extend nearly as far as V2, there could conceivably still be screaming people (somewhat) overhead while one waits to buy a ticket.

Yeah, I know you have a soft spot for V2. But, then again, you enjoy Kong as well.

V2 is the 4th best coaster at the park as of now. Although, I suppose any replacement would still end up being the 4th best coaster at the park. Just hoping they would be able to somehow add a free-spin while also keeping V2. Or maybe there won't be a free-spin at all. I'm not sure where this rumor is coming from.

My memory from previous ride announcements is hazy, how much teasing did they do prior to the other recent coaster and ride additions?

V2 is the 4th best coaster at the park as of now. Although, I suppose any replacement would still end up being the 4th best coaster at the park. Just hoping they would be able to somehow add a free-spin while also keeping V2. Or maybe there won't be a free-spin at all. I'm not sure where this rumor is coming from.

My memory from previous ride announcements is hazy, how much teasing did they do prior to the other recent coaster and ride additions?

I'd definitely rather they replace Kong with a Free Spin. Still, I don't think that another coaster is coming to the park next year. It's only been two seasons since The Joker, and major coaster installations don't seem to happen more frequently than every 4 years. Also, if they do plan on removing V2, they probably would have had some sort of "get your last rides on V2" ad campaign already. Then again, I could be entirely wrong. I'm definitely curious as to what Thursday's announcement will be.