TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Fun Spot America Discussion Thread

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Fun Spot America this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Official Park Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

January 2nd, 2011 - Fun Spot to expand from 5 arces to 15 acres - SEE BELOW

November 25th, 2011 - Details for Fun Spot water park announced

March 2nd, 2012 - Orlando City Commission approves Fun Spot expansion, images show a wooden coaster

March 28th, 2012 - Park announces White Lightning (GCI woodie) and a Vekoma suspended coaster

September 20th, 2012 - Groundbreaking event for park expansion

November 28th, 2012 - construction update

January 17th, 2013 - Fun Spot purchases another 10 acres

February 7th, 2013 - construction update

February 28th, 2013 - construction update

March 11th, 2013 - construction update

April 3rd, 2013 - construction update

May 2nd, 2013 - construction update

May 21st, 2013 - White Lightning opens

June 8th, 2013 - Grand re-Opening of Fun Spot America

August 15th, 2014 - Three new attractions announced: S&S Screamin Swing, Laser Maze, Gator exhibit

November 4th, 2014 - addition of Air Race

January 20th, 2015 - Gator Spot by Gatorland groundbreaking ceremony

July 18th, 2015 - Preliminary details on new expansion plans released

January 11, 2016 - New vision released for Fun Spot

Original Post:

http://funspotattractions.blogspot.com/2010/12/fun-spot-action-park-becomes-huge-er.html

FUN SPOT ACTION PARK BECOMES “HUGE-ER”

Fun Spot Action Park, just off International Drive in Orlando, is growing. The 13 year-old, 5 acre park has just purchased an adjacent 10 acres to triple its size. Plans are being developed for the expansion of rides, tracks and jobs at the Orlando Park.

The new, expanded park will include more tracks, more rides, including some possible water rides, and a smaller version of the SkyCoaster thrill ride located in their Kissimmee Park. Paint Ball and batting cages have also been suggested but no commitment has been made.

With over a million visitors to its two parks, Fun Spot is becoming the largest of the second tier attractions in Central Florida. Known for their multi-level go-kart tracks, and value pricing, Fun Spot holds 4 U.S. patents on go-kart track design. It is locally-owned and family-owned. For several years, Fun Spot Action Park was named the “Best Budget Attraction” by the Orlando Sentinel.

In addition to the 5 acre park near Universal Studios, there is Fun Spot USA, a 10 acre park in Kissimmee near Walt Disney World. Fun Spot USA is expanding with a new Soaring Eagle Ride, Birthday/Meeting Room, and is planning on opening its first rollercoaster, a Wild Mouse ride, this March.

Exuberant owner and CEO, John Arie Sr stated “This dream of mine has grown far larger than I ever expected. I was set to retire but I wanted to do this for my family, for the employees, for the community.”

John Arie, Jr, the COO and television spokesperson said, “Everyone is talking about job creation, well we are doing it. We presently have 200+ employees. With this expansion we hope to add another 200. For us this expansion is Huge!”

1561732077_10acre.jpg.d86c3bcdc0f85dcda09605b1cf37d001.jpg

In the image the additional 10 acres is the immediate right of Fun Spot edged by Grand National Blvd to the top and Alta Vista Lane to the right and two retention ponds to the bottom.

1120155829_10acre-1.thumb.jpg.d9b88b7cad77c38fb103f7041fe59c7d.jpg

Another view of the current park and adjacent 10 acres

Edited by SharkTums

"That, my friends, is how amusement parks are born: they begin as small parks and next thing you know they turn into big and beautiful amusement parks!"

"Somebody pass out the champange!"

"Wow, another reason to visit Oralndo, Florida"

This is definately great news to hear about Fun Spot Action Park. This must be proof that the economy is improving (knock on wood). Seeing the aerial photo of Fun Spot Action Park, I could see tons of additions they could add, maybe even a roller coaster (small family coaster like the Wild Mouse or the Plitzer, or how about even a Boomerage.)

By the way, from kcjensen:

Multilevel go karts? I have never heard of that before. I guess I'm going to Florida this year.

Yes, the Fun Spot does have multilevel tracks, but so does Branson, Missouri (two in fact - I should know cos I rode them both!)! And believe me, they are fun!!!

As for the Fun Spot Action Park, KEEP ON DRIVIN'!!!

"And don't forget about me. Who else can you lie your head upon and dream about coasters?"

Edited by palmerleeberry

:

By the way, from kcjensen:

Multilevel go karts? I have never heard of that before. I guess I'm going to Florida this year.

Yes, the fun Spot does have multilevel tracks, but so does Branson, Missouri (two in fact - I should know cos I rode them both!)! And believe me, they are fun!!!

and so do the other Fun Spot in Kissimmee, Pigeon Forge and Wisconsin Dells and probably many more US based tourist traps.

Edited by larrygator

No mention of adding any type of coaster, from what I could tell. I dropped by the place a few weeks ago, but there really wasn't anything unique or appealing enough to get me to spend any money there.

It did give me some ideas on how to make a good FEC, but mostly by being so darned standard.

1843137124_FunSpot.jpg.6a8be011be66fc662bca02f23059e1b8.jpg

Go to Dollywood there are SEVERAL! We couldn't believe it when we saw it. There is nothing like that in Maryland.

Anyway I am happy for the park to buy the additional land.

Go to Dollywood there are SEVERAL!

Just to be clear: There are several multi-level go cart tracks in Pigeon Forge. Dollywood itself does not have go carts.

/Sorry if that was obviously obvious.

When in Orlando a few weeks ago there were alot of blue height ballons around the I4 between Universal and Sea World, I thought they were maybe for the new park that is in planning but maybe there were for this?

The ballons were at all different heights and I have seen the same type being used before for this type of thing.

Good on them for expanding I hope it works out.

I took a second look at the new area that Fun Action Park will be adding on and saw those two retention ponds and that got me thinking . . .

"What will Fun Spot Action Park do with those two retention pouds? Will they drain them and convert that area into land? Will they just leave it be and build some type of attraction around it? Are those two retention ponds even part of the area?"

I thought it would be cool if Fun Spot Action Park decided to add a log flume or maybe one of those enclosed tubing rides (I mean, they already have bumper boats, so why not another wet and wild attraction?).

Oh, let the speculation begin . . .

"If you want to do some speculating, then why not do it while resting your head upon me. Believe me, it works well!"

• 10 months later...

Fun Spot Action Park announces expansion:

http://www.clickorlando.com/entertainment/theme-parks/New-attractions-planned-for-Orlando-park/-/2235348/4810702/-/xqga2g/-/index.html

Roller coasters, a water park and go-kart track are just some of the plans for an expansion at an Orlando theme park.

The new park would be located next to the Fun Spot Action Park on Del Verde Way off International Drive and I-4.

The park will be three times the size it is now and crews will soon begin construction to turn the area into Central Florida's latest attraction.

"My daughter will love that, her favorite thing is to ride the roller coaster," said one Orlando mom.

Families at Fun Spot were thrilled to hear about the latest plans for the park on Tuesday.

The 10-acre expansion projects includes one wooden and one steel roller coaster, a water park complete with a lazy river and slides, and will double the number of rides.

Park managers hope it will bring in more guests while maintaining their small park atmosphere.

"We're not in the same league as the big three, but we think we provide a great alternative," said Mark Brisson, the Fun Spot director of marketing.

Both local and visiting families said the Fun Spot is already a must see park.

"I enjoy it because I don't have to get on rides with her and it's cheaper because I don't have to pay to get in," said Sonia Payne, who was visiting Orlando.

Except for the new water park, Fun Spot will remain a pay as you play attraction. Park managers said the expansion will create at least 200 new jobs and will hopefully be finished by March 2013.

The expansion must still be approved by the city.

Well, we did hear a "rumor" that a GCI Big Fun was coming to Orlando. I wonder if this could be what Fun Spot is proposing?

Could Fun Spot also be bringing America's first Aquatrax?

I've actually been to this park before at one of my summer camps a few years back. The go-carts there are AMAZING.One of them has sharp turns, one has a giant spiral, another has a 20-foot descent. It's a good time for families. And if they get that GCI Big Fun, it may actually put them on the map!