TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Great Escape (TGE) Discussion Thread

p. 34 - Bobcat wooden coaster announced for 2024!

Canobie has a skyride with that exact same setup... and I don't think the bars lock on it. Here's hoping they don't get cold feet and think about a removal... though I think the fellow residents of my state are smarter than this.

Also, we should be talking more about the people who teamed up to save her.

Adding the bars in between the legs is a simple enough solution but it shouldn't have even been necessary. I still can't believe this accident has supposedly caused the permanent closure of Lake Compounce's Sky Ride.

Sky Ride reopened today with some new signage showing how to correctly ride along with a new safety restraint that goes between the riders legs.

Here's a link to the article

http://poststar.com/news/local/the-great-escape-s-sky-ride-reopens/article_2a9da499-dd6c-5604-aad7-05b526773856.html

Aww, no Five point harness!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I am thankful to see newspaper headlines follow-up with the appropriate statements. I'm sure many, many people will still let this incident shape their view of rides and this park as "unsafe".

The unfortunate thing is that even with this verdict, insurance companies will still view this as an incident and use it to increase their prices on this type of ride. A lot of the time that is what truly seals the fate of rides like these. I'm pretty sure it's a major factor behind the scenes for why the traditional log rides are disappearing. I hope Adventureland Iowa can hang onto theirs for as long as possible - that one is still run the super old-school way where you have to let it run into your legs and sit down real fast because it never stops.

The park was pretty dead yesterday, surprising thinking it was July 4th Fest, Mainly spent the day in Splashwater, The Black Cobra was open, that was surprising, overall nice kinda dead day with fireworks!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
Hey guys. I'm planning a visit to Great Escape for the last Saturday in June 2018. Should I plan on budgeting for a GO FAST pass?

No. The only ride you would possibly need it for is Alpine Bobsleds since that line moves slower than molasses, and shock beyond shock... it's not on the pass.

The only 3 lines that can get fairly long are the Alpine Bobsled, rapids ride, and the flume. I'd recommend hitting the Bobsled as soon as it opens since it can break down at any moment as well as having a long line. If you want to do the two water rides, get on those early as well.

Comet should be less than 10-15 minutes all day and the other coasters run one train but won't have bad waits either.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the Canada and Mexico flags that are hung alongside the US flag on the inside of the entrance are still there?

I am wondering if the new Six Flags decision affected those too. Not looking for a debate, just curious as to the extent of this decision. According to SF, they now only fly US flags at their US parks. I was curious if that has also happened at Great Escape even though they never flew a Confederate flag.

Does anyone know if the Canada and Mexico flags that are hung alongside the US flag on the inside of the entrance are still there?

I am wondering if the new Six Flags decision affected those too. Not looking for a debate, just curious as to the extent of this decision. According to SF, they now only fly US flags at their US parks. I was curious if that has also happened at Great Escape even though they never flew a Confederate flag.

It's a good question and I am curious too.

I could see SFGE (or any other far northern business) just go stars and stripes and be able to say, "Hey, we don't even fly the maple leaf anymore." Safe and reasonable response.

It is funny though since six flags is branded under the idea of being under control of six governments. I mean, Texas usually still registers signatures to leave the union at a greater rate than the confederacy. Nobody complains about the Texas flag.

All in all they go with six different color flags. ROYGBI... and still the Violet people are offended. An intelligent person asks why is it called six flags, then why don't they acknowledge the six countries, and then there is a meaningful discussion.