Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

P. 303: Wildwater Kingdom to close at end of season
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Re: Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

Postby larrygator » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:26 pm

DarienLaker wrote:I can only think of two reason why Cedar Fair killed Geauga Lake in 2007, at the time they just bought out Paramount's parks and also Geauga Lake was taking away business from Cedar Fair's flagship park, Cedar Point.

In my opinion, I think that Cedar Fair made a bad decision to buy Geauga Lake in the first place!

Cedar Fair did not kill Geauga Lake
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby RollingCoasting » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:38 pm

coasterbill wrote:
RollingCoasting wrote:This is how it felt for me when Kiddieland was replaced with a Costco :cry:

Sounds like an upgrade. Like have you had those Kirkland Muffins?

Nah. Sams Club > Costco ;)
Top 5: 1. Hades 360 2. Raging Bull 3. Goliath(GAm) 4. Mr. Freeze:Reverse Blast(STL) 5.Batman: The Ride(GAm)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:44 pm

RollingCoasting wrote:Sams Club > Costco ;)

:lol: :lmao: :lol: :lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao:

I wish. We have a Sams Club 5 minutes from the house and Costco is an hour away but... no. Anyway, this is off topic as hell.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby JT325 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:52 pm

I miss the Big Dipper. After the Beast lost it's edge in the late 80's, Big Dipper and Screechin' Eagle at Americana were the best woodies in Ohio. I know plenty of coaster/park fans like newer, over-engineered (and super tight seats) of RMC and Intamin (and I respect their opinions), but give me a true classic anytime. I like the new stuff too, but nothing can take the place of a good old woodie (that hasn't had it's trains modified or a GCI altered profile). We only have a few left, and I'll enjoy them every chance I can get.
Last edited by JT325 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:54 pm.
#CPFrontierLift2019

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby RollingCoasting » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:54 pm

Pretty much all wholesale places tend to have good food (My local Sam's has Nathan's Hot Dogs!)

I wonder what would've happened if the enthusiast sale (Big Dipper) back in 2010 went through
Top 5: 1. Hades 360 2. Raging Bull 3. Goliath(GAm) 4. Mr. Freeze:Reverse Blast(STL) 5.Batman: The Ride(GAm)

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby simaticable » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:01 pm

Odds are someone would have realized how stupid they were and probably had it demolished anyway since they wouldn't have the resources to keep it operating and profitable.
Schwarzkopf was a genius; anything less makes you a moron. ;)

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby coasterkid124 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:31 pm

That's usually how it works. Like Robb said, some hillbillies with their pick up trucks thought they could just take it down piece by piece, with no prior engineering or construction experience. In all honestly, as much of a running gag that the Big Dipper was, it's a shame to see this the fate of this park overall. And I guess that these same locals who wanted to save the ride are to blame in a way for the dwindling attendance of the park.

A similar thing happened at Crystal Beach Park in Ontario when it closed and went up for auction. Many rides were bought and relocated, most famously the Comet. The second largest coaster at the park was the "Giant Coaster". It was a large yellow wooden coaster, that was the second last side friction ride. Some random joe bought it for like 2,500, and he found out that he didn't have the resources to do anything with it, so it sat until someone set it on fire or something, and it was demolished anyways.
I'm actually not a kid; it's my nickname. I'm the youngest guy at my job. Only until after I created my account did I realize it made my sound like I'm 12. "Giddy up"- Cosmo Kramer Finally got an avatar!
Darien Lake coaster drought: 16 years and counting.....

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:10 pm

This is such a wonderful, beautiful video!

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby SteelForceless » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:58 pm

Just saw this page show up in my FB feed and I shook my head
Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 9.53.08 PM.png
SMH

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Myntiepwny » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:51 pm

If CF sold the plans to the Dipper (I am under the impression they have them) to a small park that could rebuild it that would make some people very happy. Rides have been rebuilt in this manner before... though they sadly don't turn out as well (such as Raging Wolfbobs).

The problem with that is that the parks who would benefit most from recreating a beloved ride already have an older woodie, and they are usually pretty good. Knoebels already has Phoenix, and it is incredible and they don't really need another airtime machine. Maybe some of the other little PA parks would be a good fit, but there are other great options for them now. Heck, I'd even love to see Knoebels buy an RMC version of the Revere Beach Lightning or Crystal Beach Cyclone (no inversions needed, but their track, trains, and supports could handle the transitions in a way the original could not) more than adding another ride like Phoenix.

Anyway, that's the only way it's coming back, and I don't see it happening. I miss the park. My best day ever at a park will probably always be there (it's hard to beat a memory when the place you made the memory is gone) back when it was SFWOA and everything was a walk-on but Superman and X-Flight, and we got fast passes for those. My friend who was an animal science major got us talking to the animal trainers and we got to touch dolphins. We walked on Batman Knight Flight so many times. We saw a bunch of animal shows. I fell in love with Bip Dipper and Villain. The two parks together under Six Flags featured something for everyone, and it was the best trip I've had to a park with a group of friends to date. Everyone was happy, and the food on the "Sea World" side was still wonderful.

...and six years later it closed, and I never could have predicted that as a college kid newly in love with coasters and parks and everything that comes with it. I'd love to see more of it preserved, but I know I'll have to settle for visiting Dominator and Possessed.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!