TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Behind the scenes photos of Harry Potter Forbidden Journey

...like that idiot did last week when the ride broke down.

So let me set it up for you...

After waiting in line for nearly an hour for my first ever ride on Harry Potter & the Forbidden Journey, just as the ride started... it stopped. My "flying bench" sat facing a blank humungiod movie screen for a bit, then the lights came on! Then the Kuka arm moved a bit and I could see... stuff! I'll let the photos tell the rest of the story (sorry for the crappy quality as I snapped them with my iPhone, which happened to be in my pocket):

1.thumb.jpg.8de7c5cad96e18e037f34da51b7dd043.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.2e9bc185ee9439dd5e02d8fdeb4c9632.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.22b063950865ce2d6dac4820bb2aa581.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.507319231da0fb8f59288a45c8d47841.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.38fb87eef29acabd08754b6d6ff584d7.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.288e90787ca7fee70a1c7629f917c3c9.jpg

After the dragon, the Kuka arms went into I guess the "default" position and took everyone through the rest of the ride with the lights on. Wish I had snapped more photos, but I was too in awe to pull the phone out of my pocket again. Was weird to see see how it all worked, but fascinating at the same time. I've NEVER been stuck on a ride like that before, so I was pretty freaking excited. They gave everyone front of the line passes for when the ride was working again, but I ended up using the single rider line on my 2nd attempt at the ride (which worked perfectly that time around).

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, are the movie screens on tracks? If so, that would explain why you can remain in them for as long as you do. Very interesting! This ride really does have some advanced technology.

From what I understand, the movie screens are on a carousel, so you and they are moving in a circular pattern... the Kuka arm is on the track while the movie screens are moving in a stationary circular pattern... (you can see it best in the 5th picture...) it's similar to the old, classic show scene from Journey into Imagination from the original Epcot attraction... (Only on Imagination, many vehicles followed the track while watching same Animitronic show scene, instead of a movie, travelling around a circular pattern while watching the show scene which is on a carousel)... its all quite amazing really...

***and seriously awesome pictures... and glad you didn't call 911 (like that silly person last week...)

When riding it I assumed it was a large screen with a projector that moves along with the vehicle. Now that I know how it works I'm surprised the transitions to the screens is as good as it is. Now if it only had better projectors...

Now if it only had better projectors...

That was my biggest gripe for a ride that was very cool. The closeness of the bench to the screen makes for a very blurry picture, especially with the rapid motion of the characters on the screen.

Even without having an E-Stop, you can catch glimpses of the carousel of screens as you start to exit them if you look in the opposite direction of motion.

So that's what the ride looks like with the lights on. My guess is that when it e-stops the lights come on?

Yup, the lights come on after awhile. At first we were basically sitting in the dark looking at the first big movie screen right after you take off for a few minutes. Then the lights came on and I got quite excited.

Too bad you don't have any pictures of the Dementors in the finale section...those would have been some cool pics.

I know! I was kicking myself for not keeping my phone out after we passed the dragon. I kept thinking the ride would suddenly start up again and the phone would go flying. But the dementors aren't that exciting with the lights on. And funnily enough, when the Kuka arms are in that "default" position, I didn't even see the Whomping WIllow until I actually saw it all the regular way because it's above you and the arm tilts you onto your back basically. But even lights on, Aragog the humgoid hell spider was uber creepy. I HATE spiders.

But even lights on, Aragog the humgoid hell spider was uber creepy. I HATE spiders.

That's where I was when I got stuck on the ride back during previews. I was there staring at those eyes for about 10 minutes before the ride started up again.

It's really a great ride. I was hoping to do it a 2nd time, but by 7pm I was freaking EXHAUSTED from the heat and having being at the park since it opened at 9am. I went to the single rider line, then all of a sudden my brain was like, "I can NOT do this anymore. Go back to the hotel and REST!"

The blurriness of the projections doesn't really have to do with your closeness to the screen, just on screen motion. At pont on the ride where you see Hagrid asking about the dragon, there is little movement in the video and its fairly clear. Most other points in the ride there is a lot of movement and its very blurry, like a really cheap flat panel TV.

The ride has OTSR to keep the rider sitting upright. Wouldn't be very good if someone was leaning far forward at the moment they got jerked upwards, they could smack their face with their knee or something.

I rode it again today and things definitely make more sense now! However, the Whomping Willow was not working which made for an interesting ride experience of laying on your back looking at a stagnant tree and hearing crashing noises. I really hope they keep the effects on ride working 100%, the attraction relies on these effects to properly to tell the story. And since the story is already confusing it's not really helping anybody...

You know, I didn't even SEE the Whomping Willow until I rode it again with everything working. It's because in that part you're pretty much on your back and looking up and the tree is above you. So I didn't notice it at all when the lights were on and the Kuka arms were in "default/E-Stop" mode. They just face forward the whole time while in that position.

That being said though, I really wish I had gone on it one more time, but My feet/legs and heat-warped brain just couldn't take much more after being in the park for 10 hours.

• 3 weeks later...