Alton Towers Discussion Thread

Page 530: SW8 confirmed as £15 million GCI wood coaster
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Re: Alton Towers Discussion Thread

Postby Jew » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:02 am

15 million pounds doesn’t get you much these days I guess. That’s almost $20 million dollars for a junior woodie...

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby JayTricky » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:52 am

Reading back through the last few pages does make me cringe a bit. I mean it's hard to get hyped for this when I see thread after thread of 'better' coasters being built worldwide. But, I will reserve my judgement until riding.

I mean, this is my home park and I've been twice in the last 3 years. That's how un-enthusiastic I am about the place at the moment, which backs up what people were saying on previous pages. Smiler was exciting when it came out but I have no desire to go back and ride it again.

The one thing I'll give to Alton is that they haven't used any 'Worlds First' marketing or ridiculous TH13TEEN completely over the top embarrassing marketing ploys. If this coaster turns out to be a good, fun, family coaster then I am completely fine with that. Just market it as one! (as that is what it 'looks' like it will be). It seems in days past, Alton have desperately tried to grab worldwide attention for rides that were unworthy of it - desperately looking to create the next Nemesis legacy.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby DILinator » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:41 am

Not an AT fanboy, and I've never been actually, but I still think this coaster looks pretty fun! Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not sure why all the negativity about it... *shrugging smiley that doesn't exist* I'll say this, even though I like Log Flumes better than most (not coasterbill obviously! :lol: ), I'd rather have this than a Log Flume at my local park! Especially since AT doesn't have anything else like it. I look forward to riding it, whenever I finally make it across the pond!
Top 10 Coasters! 1.Fury 2.Millennium Force 3.Maverick 4.The Voyage 5. Lightning Rod 6.Storm Chaser 7.El Toro 8.Phantom's Revenge 9. Goliath (SFGAm) 10. Ravine Flyer II Honorable Mentions: Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Garet » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:46 am

Every time I see news on this rollercoaster it just reminds me that the huge cross valley wooden roller coaster with an almost 200ft drop through trees never happened.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:42 am

Jew wrote:15 million pounds doesn’t get you much these days I guess. That’s almost $20 million dollars for a junior woodie...

This is the part that baffles me most. I keep thinking there has to be something special to this, so unless they plan on enclosing the thing at the end, I am struggling to see where the cost is. Mystic Timbers by comparison cost $15 million.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Balder, Voyage
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby 1aflack » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:47 am

Not sure whether Mustic timbers is on a flat site but there is a hell of a lot of ground works on a site like this, don't also forget they had to remove the old log flume as well.

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby JayTricky » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:40 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:
Jew wrote:15 million pounds doesn’t get you much these days I guess. That’s almost $20 million dollars for a junior woodie...

This is the part that baffles me most. I keep thinking there has to be something special to this, so unless they plan on enclosing the thing at the end, I am struggling to see where the cost is. Mystic Timbers by comparison cost $15 million.

The excavation/groundwork possibly? Even the huge Wicker Man structure wouldn't make much of a dent into a 15m budget surely?

They've just started to implement rock work around the structure. Same people that worked on Taron. Maybe it's that, coupled with some elaborate pre-show that might explain the price.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:01 am

DILinator wrote:Not an AT fanboy, and I've never been actually, but I still think this coaster looks pretty fun! Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not sure why all the negativity about it...

Maybe if you read the last few pages? The whole point was how the Alton Towers fanboys have been hyping this up to be something special (launched lift hill, some sort of secret element, the whole 'washing machine' mentality all over again, etc...) but really this just looks like your average sized GCI woodie with nothing special at all.

And you're right, if this turns out to be a fun family coaster, there is nothing wrong with that. The negativity wasn't really towards the ride itself, but all the fanboys making it out to be something more than it is.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Moley » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:42 am

robbalvey wrote:The negativity wasn't really towards the ride itself, but all the fanboys making it out to be something more than it is.

Because we saw a unusual design for a lift hill, the ride's budget and the park's use of new 'coaster tech' and wondered if it could be something different? Don't see anyone claiming they know of any secret element, especially given the park's use of 'groundbreaking development' and 'world class experience' rather than the 'world first' or 'record breaking' mottos of recent additions. If speculation is frowned upon then god help the people discussing what Epcot's Guardians of the Galaxy coaster could be.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby michaellynn4 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:28 am

Moley wrote:
robbalvey wrote:The negativity wasn't really towards the ride itself, but all the fanboys making it out to be something more than it is.

Because we saw a unusual design for a lift hill, the ride's budget and the park's use of new 'coaster tech' and wondered if it could be something different? Don't see anyone claiming they know of any secret element, especially given the park's use of 'groundbreaking development' and 'world class experience' rather than the 'world first' or 'record breaking' mottos of recent additions. If speculation is frowned upon then god help the people discussing what Epcot's Guardians of the Galaxy coaster could be.

You have to keep in mind that it's not just about the speculation over this particular coaster. It's about the speculation over this coaster being the continuation of a long trend of each new AT addition being wildly hyped up and overblown, then failing to deliver upon said expectations. Here are some examples:

Rita: Advertised as the ""Fastest Roller Coaster Yet", a whole whopping 61.1mph in 2005.
Thirteen: Already covered ad nauseum by Robb. "Scariest Coaster Yet!" Yeaaaa, not really.
Smiler: "Most Inversions, Yay!!" Yes, but the layout is really just two 7-loop coasters fused together. Not as impressive as if it was one full circuit.

The rest of us are all burnt out on these "over-promise / under-deliver" situations. Each of the coasters above are widely considered to be "good, fun" coasters, but nothing near the hyped up versions some AT fanboys want us to believe they are. History is repeating itself yet again.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!