Alton Towers Discussion Thread

Page 530: SW8 confirmed as £15 million GCI wood coaster
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Alton Towers Discussion Thread

Postby nstod » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:51 pm

Thank you very much for the advice, Moley and BlahBlahson! This is all very helpful and I am very excited for this new adventure. One more month. :)

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Moley » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:28 pm

Back at the SW8 site, we've two rather intriguing updates in regards to the track and the theming element.

Meanwhile the slightly lower profile project taking place in the gardens seems to be at a very advanced stage. The architects responsible for the restoration of the Grade II listed Grand Conservatory posted a photo on their Instagram showing a glimpse of the work that has taken place. I realise this is not an attraction that will ramp up visitor numbers or too much interest on social media but I have a real soft spot for the gardens and feel they're rather underappreciated.
DxPyCxL (1).jpg
Yesterday saw a crane lifting some more elements of the main theming structure into place, whilst also giving a glimpse of the top of whatever the heck it is.
Source: TowersTimes
20840668_2063480437011241_8542318806964097369_n.jpg
While today saw the installation of bents at the centre of the site with some rather hefty banking. Work on the roof of the pre-show building has also begun in the background
Source: Theme Park Worldwide
20837066_462326300790352_130892753297997824_n.jpg
Its come quite a way in a very short period of time. Hard to believe it's last restoration work was a 20 years ago.
Source: CTD Architects on Instagram.

Postby Moley » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:22 am

NEW FOR SCAREFEST 2017 - The Welcoming: Be Chosen

A mysterious group who worship the woods and the animals that live therein like Gods have been disturbed. Every year they host a festival to celebrate their own interpretation of Halloween - the crossing of the worlds of the living and the dead. For the first time they have allowed outsiders to celebrate with them.
But what part will you (‘the outsiders’) play in this ritual? Is this really an initiation?.....
20900831_10155340629881201_8812627772095214158_o.jpg

Postby Moley » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:45 pm

It has been a busy week all things SW8. Firstly Alton Towers released the first episode in a series of videos about their Secret Weapon programme. In this first video, they explain the history of the Secret Weapon attractions and promise a first look behind the scenes at construction of SW8 in the next instalment of the series.

The 'runes' and 'Be Chosen' theme continues throughout (note the author of the book that falls) and there are a few nice nods to other rides in there too. The choice of production and the hosts (apparently at least one of them is a YouTuber) does make me realise that I'm no longer in the target audience for these things and feel rather old :|

Eagle-eyed people noticed that the wording of the maze description had also been slightly changed:
The woods surrounding the village of Alton harbor a mysterious group, which until recent sightings were unseen by the modern world. Whispers around the village say that the group are angered by people abusing the world’s natural resources and the rapid advance of technology. Every year the secluded group host a festival to celebrate their own interpretation of Halloween – paying homage to the earth and celebrating the crossover between the living world and the dead. The group have recently infiltrated the Alton Towers Resort and for the first time are allowing outsiders to celebrate with them. But what part will you (‘the outsiders’) play in this ritual? Is this really an initiation?

Then the viewing windows around the construction fence were updated to match the website, runes were scratched around them (again 'Be Chosen') and the video began playing on the screens that had been fitted.

Inside the construction fence, work has begun on the yet to be placed concrete foundations as well as on the queue-line, whilst bents continue to be put into place across the site.

Finally today it emerged that an European Trademark application covering categories including those associated with theme park attractions has been filed for the name 'WICKER MAN', along with an associated logo. Obviously the rumours have been doing the rounds as long as we've known about SW8 and it certainly matches the look of recent graphics associated with the ride or at the very least the Scarefest maze.
001.jpg
The queue-line begins to be put into place
002.jpg
The video now playing on the screens, with 'Be Chosen' in the runes scratched/burned alongside them.
21083527_10155653136013185_7822014040987502617_o.jpg
The logo that has been submitted as part of the European Trademark application. While I'm not jumping for joy at the name, I have to admit that the logo is pretty damn great.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby RyanTPM » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:17 pm

^I don't know why but i'm pretty happy with that logo and name, despite not originally liking it

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:45 pm

My observation, but after seeing this logo, I am betting that the "structure" that the coaster goes around
and (apparently) through, is a Wicker Man statue. Maybe?
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Star Wars is gay.

Postby MayTheGForceBeWithYou » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:18 pm

Nice logo, but I have one question about the design:
人生は素晴らしき冒険旅行

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:07 pm

I swear Alton Towers is the BEST park when it comes to teasing roller coasters.

I can't wait for the details for this new attraction. At some point my partner and I will make a trip over seas to this park. . . And then we will finally get to experience all the SW's!! :br
Bigger is not always better.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby KarlaKoaster » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:48 pm

For me I think they're the worst at teasing because their coasters rarely live up to the hype.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby ElectricUncleSam » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:25 am

Surprised nobody has brought up the fact that the name could also be a nice little nod to Iron Maiden.
Been Riding For: 4 Years
Coaster Count: 80 (63 steel, 20 wood) at 14 Parks (9 states, 1 country, 1 continent, 1 planet)
Steel: 1: 1: Skyrush 2: Millennium Force 3: Storm Chaser 4: Goliath 5: Maverick
Wood: 1: Outlaw Run 2: Voyage 3: Great American Scream Machine 4: Georgia Cyclone 5: Mystic Timbers
Add me on Coasterbuzz: MohawkWarrior

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!