TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Gröna Lund Discussion Thread

Its funny I really don't have much of a fear of heights (and I'm always amazed at the number of enthusiasts that do) but my legs definitely feel a little funny as that video goes on. There's some crazy base jumping videos on YouTube that do the same thing but I enjoy watching them. I think its the not-being-restrained angle that gets me.

My buddy is always trying to get my to skydive with him (he does it for a living). One day.

Its funny I really don't have much of a fear of heights (and I'm always amazed at the number of enthusiasts that do) but my legs definitely feel a little funny as that video goes on. There's some crazy base jumping videos on YouTube that do the same thing but I enjoy watching them. I think its the not-being-restrained angle that gets me.

My buddy is always trying to get my to skydive with him (he does it for a living). One day.

I've lost my fear of heights over the past few years and can ride any ride now. I broke out into a sweat watching that video. But, I don't break out into a sweat when on roller coasters or tall rides as I am securely restrained. I agree that the not being restrained in the video is what gets me as well. That is one job that isn't for me!

Kanonen goes to Gröna Lund!

Well, not really. For April's fool Gröna Lund and Liseberg are both reporting on their Facebook pages that Kanonen will go to Gröna Lund, and in turn Jetline will come to Liseberg. The idea behind the swap is to let visitors from each park try rides from the other without having to make the longer trip. Liseberg actually put up an interview with the CEO

All in all, a good prank well coordinated by both parks!

Great April-fools joke collaboration on Facebook between Gröna Lund and Liseberg about switching coasters. On the Liseberg page it actually looks a little bit legit due to the dismantling of Kanonen

17635323_10154609867470667_4667014255638379446_o.thumb.jpg.1b3d382fd7853682743c465802976156.jpg

And who can forget last years April-fools joke about a 95m tall ride in this space

12933103_10153442390820667_594812712347050677_n.jpg.a5540acd92a96314ae3d2d79f57741be.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very close to booking a trip for a week to Stockholm in September, and I'm going to make sure I'll be there when Grona Lund is open. I honestly had no idea where the park is in Sweden, and was elated to type in "theme park near Stockholm" and see Grona Lund as #1

• 2 weeks later...

Today was the media day for Ikaros, and of course the local press was there to try it out.

The total investment for Ikaros is 75 million SEK, or about 8.5 million USD.

Gröna Lund has also invested 15 million SEK (1.7 million USD) in new restaurants and shops.

The first Cocoa-Cola store in the Nordics will open next to Fritt Fall

lqaf3mbqg1uepbbvdkxc.jpg

A new themed candy store will open at the exit of Vilda Musen

The old waffle shop behind Lustiga Huset (towards the water) has been replaced by a new one. And on top of it a new restaurant, called Terassen, will open. Terassen specializes in different cocktails.

eqzjea1c2xwjrew82987.jpg

Info and pictures from Gröna Lund's press release of today: Pressrelease

^Falcon's Fury has two pneumatic cylinders and a magnetic brake on the counterweight for 4-rider vehicle, Ikaros has two cylinders for an 8-rider vehicle and no magnetic brakes.

Also another thing, this is probably the first drop ride in the world to use chain lift since Intamin's first gen free fall!

^ Mystika at Rainbow MagicLand (SBF Visa) also uses a chain lift:

maxresdefault.jpg

As for the swinging, yeah it looks quite intense, but I think it might look worse from outside than it actually is. We will wait for the first reviews!

Rode Ikaros today (sorry, forgot to take pictures, will remember next time!).

The swinging at the end of the ride isn't violent at all, it's just a smooth motion. The chain isn't a classical chain lift either, it functions more like a normal catch car on a drop tower. The carriage hooks on to the end of the chain and release from it at the top, the chain then backs down for the next go.

All in all a great ride, and the surroundings look marvelous. Gröna Lund has (once again) gone for the 1920s classical amusement park style, a style which I think works great for Gröan Lund. However, the lenticular picture with boobs is gone

I really don't like the way that Ikaros' tower looks like. I wish it looked like Falcon's Fury's tower

I totally agree, I don't like the way it looks either... But the park already has an Intamin free fall (and tilt) tower, so it would look repetitive anyway.

As we were pulling up on the ferry yesterday, I really wasn't sure which tower was Ikaros and which was the Funtime swing ride.... To add to the confusion, there is also an S&S tower.

Why the park needs 4 different kinds of free fall experiences I have no idea, but to be honest I think the most intense one was Fritt Fall Tilt... Amazing! As far as Ikaros is concerned, I thought Falcon's Fury was better.

Hoping to get some pictures up once we get home!

The swinging at the end of the ride isn't violent at all, it's just a smooth motion.

Yeah, I agree. We just went to the park this weekend (video will be posted once I get a chance to edit it) and you really barely notice the swinging motion... it's just a fluid extension of the drop.

We were sat on the side that faces the rest of the island (as opposed to the side that faces Stockholm's Old Town across the water), so I was a bit bummed about the visuals. Also, I don't know if it is because Florida is so flat or because Grona Lund has a lot of other tall stuff right around the ride, but Falcon's Fury (which we have also been on) feels MUCH higher.

I will put out the disclaimer that I don't really get super pumped about drop towers... And this one is really fun... But I actually thought the drop on Fritt Fall Tilt across the midway was more intense.

Regardless, this is a REALLY fun park... And taking the ferry to get there is so picturesque and enjoyable it's unreal.

Halloween at Gröna Lund!

[fbvideonew]

[/fbvideonew]

October 27 to November 5 Gröna Lund will host its first ever Halloween event.

The park will be decorated in different Halloween themes, the small area will be for children.

On the big area there will be 4 horror houses, House of Nightmares will be spiced up, the Blue train will have living ghosts, the bumper cars will be turned into a horror maze, and Lustiga huset will be remade into Olustiga Huset (Funny house to "Not funny house"). There will also be a fire show every day at the big stage.

18.00 every day there will be a horror-parade and you can then meet the creatures at the horror zone.

All rides will be open (depending on weather) except the flying carpet which will be closed due to planned maintenance.

Awesome video! Makes me want to get a flight and get over there for it, in October!

Their Fun House could be amazingly terrifying, if they do it right. Which I'm sure they will.

• 1 month later...

Gröna Lund have received the building permit for the new coaster, it can still be appealed for a few weeks though. They also haven't got permission to start building yet, for that they need more technical documentation, but that won't be a problem.

It is possible to follow the process here (Swedish) "Senaste beslut" translate into "Latest decision", and as you can see it says "Lovbeslut bifall" which translates into "Permit decision granted"

• 3 months later...