Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

P. 1207: $5.5 million in investments planned for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Postby kdjs » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:13 am

So, we have never been to Holiday World, but thinking of making a trip there this fall. If we go in October, is there a risk that some of the coasters don't run if the temperature drops below a certain temperature? Or is that not an issue?

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Postby Midgetman82 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:47 am

I can't quite remember it being cold enough up at Holiday World in October for it to warrant not opening certain rides. Closest thing to it was having been to an early morning ERT session where it was cold enough for Thunderbird to have a rollback, but then they just reset it and launched it again and it ran fine for the rest of the day.

Personally, I don't think you should worry.
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:00 pm

ZeroGravity55 wrote:A little side story here, so the friend I went with is a cop, and he absolutely hates the smell of weed. He actually had an encounter with some kids smoking weed in the bathroom at Cedar Point a couple of months ago

Tell him to relax and quit being a cop on his days off.

Sounds like you guys had a good trip.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby ZeroGravity55 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:02 am

^ I do have to remind him about that from time to time. He's usually pretty good about not being a cop on his days off, but there are some things that set him off.

Midgetman82 wrote:I can't quite remember it being cold enough up at Holiday World in October for it to warrant not opening certain rides. Closest thing to it was having been to an early morning ERT session where it was cold enough for Thunderbird to have a rollback, but then they just reset it and launched it again and it ran fine for the rest of the day.

Personally, I don't think you should worry.

Yeah all of the woodies once warmed up shouldn't ever have a problem completing the course. Isn't the standard running temp for all B&M outside of SF Great Adventure around 40 degrees? Plus, once Thunderbird completes the launch, that ride hauls through the entire course, so it would have to be unusually cold in October for them not to run it.

The first couple of years of the Halloween event, they closed The Legend down for off-season maintenance, but since they've revamped it in 2016, it's been open the last couple of falls.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:08 am

Superman at Fiesta Texas is something ridiculous like 52. But yeah, pretty much all the B&Ms could run at around 40 if the parks wanted them to.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby parkjunkie » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:23 pm

Visited HW yesterday and it was that perfect dreary type of day to be there. The forecast had been calling for a lot of rain Sunday, but last minute, forecast changed and we made the trip over. Multiple rides on the 4 coasters, and rode almost all the non kiddie rides, and the longest wait we had was about 5 minutes, but pretty much everything was walk on. Park looked great with the Halloween theming as usual. Even though I've been going to HW for 15 years, I just can't get over how great of a park this is.

Postby thrillrider » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:00 pm

Screamscape just posted some pictures of a new structure going up at Holiday world. It looks like it is connected to the dark ride in the Thanksgiving section of the park. I wonder what it is? Looks fairly large.
db_2018_1008_ThanksgivingBuilding11.jpg
db_2018_1008_ThanksgivingBuilding31.jpg
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Postby Raven Maven » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:18 pm

New offices! (As explained on the Holiday World Podcast)
Paula Werne
Holiday World Communications
HoliBlog, Facebook & HoliTwit

Postby thrillrider » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:31 pm

Hmm...odd place for offices.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:05 pm

IIRC, wasn't Eric's old office somewhere in that area? I think I remember him mentioning that on the podcast.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!