TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

For what it's worth, I've heard that all the wooden coasters here get much more rough later in the year. I've only been in late May or early June and never thought they were extremely rough other than my only ride in an even row because I wanted to try the very back row of The Voyage. I will say though that when I went this year, the turn on The Raven by the lake was pretty bad no matter where I sat. That ride is also a completely different ride at night. Pretty decent during the day, but tons of fun in the dark.

All that said, I get that Holiday World just isn't the place for some people, and that's fine with me. I've only been twice and I love it.

There's just something about holiday world for me. I don't quite know what it is, but I love it.

Yes the wooden coasters are pretty intense but I'm somebody that loves that in a wooden coaster. I'm sure the fact that I'm young helps me handle the craziness and bumps on those coasters a little easier but I don't ever see a time in the future where I stop loving the woodies here... And Thunderbird too!

Legend was easily the smoothest of the woodies in my visit on Memorial Day weekend. I loved that ride. I could see how the intense laterals could get uncomfortable, but it wasn't rough.

Voyage was a bit of an endurance test on that return run unless you were in the very front, but I still loved that ride. Raven was the roughest of the three like you noted, but even still I still found it very reridable.

I've gone to Holiday World for the past three seasons. One of my good friends (who frequents this thread often and will most likely see this comment CALLING U OUT) is a Ride Ops Manager. From what I understand, Holiday World does annual maintenance on all of the woodies every off-season and I can confirm that Voyage is AMAZING at the start of the season that it became my top wooden. I went to HoWo nearer the end of the season for the first time a few weeks ago and the latter half had gotten so bad that Legend became my favorite in the park. If you want to ride THE Voyage, try to get to the park at the start of the season.

^I'm sure all of the wooden coasters get necessary during the off season. This is pretty much standard for all parks. However, people have been complaining about Raven since early in the season. The complaints about Legend and Voyage are hit or miss, but also fairly consistent.

• 1 month later...
Voyage was a bit of an endurance test on that return run unless you were in the very front

I thought Voyage was the only good wood coaster in the park but I also sat in the very front row since I assumed (after riding the other two) that it would be awful and was trying to hedge my bet. Maybe that explains it.

Even the back on Voyage wasn't too bad. It was on par with Boulder Dash. Granted after the rides you got on Boulder Dash this year, I know that doesn't inspire confidence in you.

I've ridden Boulder Dash a lot and enjoyed it every other time so it sounds like that was just a freak thing. I'll totally ride it again next time I go to Lake Compounce (which could be awhile).

What all do you guys think Holiday World is going to be announcing next Tuesday?

I wouldn't be surprised if it has something to do with the Thanksgiving section due to the timing of the announcement

Here's the announcement!

https://www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/2017/11/21/38562/

New slides, wave pool, more for 2018

Holiday World to add Tembo Falls, Tembo Tides, and more

SANTA CLAUS, IND.—–Christmas comes early in the town of Santa Claus as Holiday World announces a package full of goodies for their 2018 season.

“We’re adding a fun elephant-themed water-play area for younger children,” says park president Matt Eckert. “When we discovered the Swahili word for elephant is Tembo, we named our new slide complex Tembo Falls and the junior wave pool Tembo Tides.”

Holiday World will invest a total of $3.5 million in new attractions and other improvements for 2018, including:

Tembo Falls – a water slide complex with eight junior slides, including twisters, a helix, a mini-bowl, and two racing slides

Tembo Tides – a junior wave pool plus spray features for younger children

Huge Themed Maze for Happy Halloween Weekends

All new entertainment, including a stunt show, musical magic show, and strolling brass band

Track improvements for The Voyage, the world’s second-longest wooden roller coaster

Riverside Retreats – mini cabanas in Splashin’ Safari

Electric Car Charging Station

“Tembo Falls and Tembo Tides are designed for children who are under 54 inches tall,” says Eckert, “but their older siblings and parents are welcome to enjoy the slides and wave pool with them.”

HW.JPG.c1cfc6cce36a5ea3b2bfce165f6c0d64.JPG

Edited by jedimaster1227

I love the idea of a junior wave pool. Kids love those, but the water can be too deep for them. This would allow the kids to play while parents relax, which is not at all possible with a normal wave pool. Plus more of the Safari Sam's Splashland type slides is always welcome. Most enthusiasts are going to pan this, but for those of us with kids who love Splashin' Safari, this is pretty exciting.

The press release also made a good deal that Voyage will get some track work done. While that surely sounds like a good thing from all the recent reviews I've read, I'm not sure how much can be done with what's left of 3.5 million after the kiddie slides/wave pool and hedge maze.

The press release also made a good deal that Voyage will get some track work done. While that surely sounds like a good thing from all the recent reviews I've read, I'm not sure how much can be done with what's left of 3.5 million after the kiddie slides/wave pool and hedge maze.

They've listed track improvements on The Voyage for the last few years when they've announced "what's new".

I hope this takes out the pilgrim's plunge eyesore.

It sounds like it's going to be located to the left of Kima Bay, so the Pilgrims Plunge site will still be there for at least another year.

What all do you guys think Holiday World is going to be announcing next Tuesday?

I wouldn't be surprised if it has something to do with the Thanksgiving section due to the timing of the announcement

Ok, I was wrong lol

Ok, I was wrong lol

I was even more wrong, I thought they were going to get a dry park addition. Lol More specifically, I was thinking that they were going to get something from Lakemont Park, maybe the old monster ride and say that they are reintroducing Midnight Ride.

But I think this is a PRECIOUS addition. It looks so adorable. I don't think I've ever seen a kiddie sized wave pool. It definitely seems like it will be fun for the little ones. Holiday World is definitely one of the most family friendly amusement parks in the world.

I don't know why, but I find it especially nifty that they're also getting electric car charging stations. I don't own an electric car, but I just find that alone pretty neat! Also excited to learn about the "big new maze" coming next year. Love the Halloween event, so I'm looking forward to the new maze, and hope it's as good as Carnival Chaos or Holidog's 3D Adventure.

Of course, Voyage track improvements are also always welcomed and appreciated!

This announcement will finally get us to make the several hour drive and visit next year for the first time as we have 3 kids ranging from 2-7 that love water parks but most never have enough for them to do. This is brilliant and while it may not seem special to many enthusiasts, those of us with little ones will really appreciate it. Can't wait to visit next year!