TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

So, just found out that we are adding Holiday World to our Theme Park road trip this summer!!! Never been, so I'm super excited for this!!

You won't be dissapointed. I went for the first time last year (since i got in free thanks to KI working some kind of deal) and i was amused by everything! Thunderbird is smooth as butter, Voyage is like a bat out of hell, Legend and Raven where both great with the laterals. If you can do the waterpark, take that chance. Mammoth and Wildebeast are AMAZING water coasters (even though i've only rode 4) and surprisingly i got air time on both of them!

• 1 month later...
The Calypso is one of my favorite old school flats

Mine too, and I remember my first one (ridden at age 9), in 1962 at the Seattle World's Fair!

This new one looks great. The light package in the evening, should be awesome!

gayway_03.jpg.812208430e2106ccac03f68ceba25e26.jpg

Calypso 1962, in the Seattle World's Fair "Gayway."

^ Yes it is! A very early version of it, with four person cars! I didn't ride it, though.

Looked too rough for my little 9 year old body, on it's "landing," lol.

I have never really found a good face front photo of it, in all the archives I've gone through.

But this black and white pic shows more of it, beyond Calypso.

gayway_04.jpg.7b67c74997817126c6da18e403d79777.jpg

And, beyond all that, a two level go kart track set up.

• 1 month later...

Gah, I'll get to HoliWood Nights some year. What a great looking event. Choosing Cedar Point this year, maybe next. Seems they always fall on the same weekend? Great pics, this park seems so downright wonderful.

• 3 weeks later...

It is looking like my family's first visit to HW will be taking place on the Saturday of Memorial Weekend. We are going to be traveling home from Myrtle Beach to St. Louis, and we will be in the area to hit the park first thing in the morning for a few hours. I'm assuming that weekend will probably be crazy busy, but assuming that we show up early and do not do any of the waterpark, is 4 hours enough time to reasonably do most things in the park? Also, given that time is relatively tight and that I'll probably be able to only hit each of the 4 main coasters once, is there a recommended best spot to sit in each?

... is there a recommended best spot to sit in each?

I usually gravitate to the third row (second car, front row) or fifth row (third car, front row) on most of their woodies, especially if I'm not in the mood to wait for the very front. I've marathoned the coasters in these rows successfully on less busy days and during Holiwood Nights. Thunderbird typically assigns seats (especially on busier days), but if you very politely ask then you might get yourself on front row. Next best is very back.

It is looking like my family's first visit to HW will be taking place on the Saturday of Memorial Weekend. We are going to be traveling home from Myrtle Beach to St. Louis, and we will be in the area to hit the park first thing in the morning for a few hours. I'm assuming that weekend will probably be crazy busy, but assuming that we show up early and do not do any of the waterpark, is 4 hours enough time to reasonably do most things in the park? Also, given that time is relatively tight and that I'll probably be able to only hit each of the 4 main coasters once, is there a recommended best spot to sit in each?

Skipping the waterpark is skipping most of their best rides. I would not suggest trying to do Holiday World in as little time as possible. It's a fantastic park with a lot of things to do besides coasters. Don't try to do it fast; you're doing yourself a disservice. Take your time and appreciate the park.

I'm assuming that weekend will probably be crazy busy

Ehh It won't be as busy as you think it will be. The thing about Saturdays in May is that there will be no school groups and its too early for it to be vacation time for most families. Now if it's nice outside and it's hot, I would expect a lot of locals to be there for the waterpark.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm planning on visiting Memorial Weekend too. It'll be my first time ever visiting the park, and we aren't time constrained (but money constrained, so I don't want to buy any fast passes or whatnot). Which day would be the best for less crowds?

FYI: Holiday World does not offer any queue management / skip the line passes.

And yes, Memorial Day itself is always your safest bet on the holiday weekend.

I'm planning on visiting Memorial Weekend too. It'll be my first time ever visiting the park, and we aren't time constrained (but money constrained, so I don't want to buy any fast passes or whatnot). Which day would be the best for less crowds?

Same I'm planning on stopping in for the first time this weekend. I either could try hitting the park Saturday or Sunday. I figured the latter would be the better of the two options.