TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NO SINGLE RIDER (for this particular ride)

Last week, I went out to Six Flags America and decided to head on over to THE CYCLONE for two reasons: 1) It's my favorite ride, and (2) I heard that ride was moved into the old Octopus spot and wanted to see it for myself. Now when I got there, I was about to enter the line when I suddenly saw this sign that read:

NO SINGLE RIDERS

I was shocked. I mean, when did this park decided to make their "No Single Rider" rule on their Scrambler ride mandatory? I mean, in my past visits, I was able to ride THE CYCLONE by myself with no problems; today, I must partner up with somebody in order to get on. Why? Are they afraid I might fall off?

However, this episode does have a happy ending. In the mid-afternoon, I was able to get on the ride and I rode it twice in a row: the first time with a mother and her son, and the second time with just the son as his mother stood by the exit.

So this got me thinking: How many other parks out there has a scrambler ride you cannot ride by yourself on? And while we are on this topic, here's another point to ponder on: Do you agree or disagree on this rule? And here's a third: What other rides inside any other park requires you to have a partner to ride. I decided to go ahead and post this because I'm always a single rider whenever I visit a park and it feels like discrimination towards me.

"Since I'm always at the end of all of palmerleeberry's posts, I might as well end this post by asking everyone out there 'So, what are your thoughts?'"

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Don't go the Wild Waves in Seattle by yourself, at least 4 rides did not allow single riders.

Ring of Fire

Falling Star

Gambler

Octopus

Could be a safety issue wear smaller people could slide under the restraint if they lay done as happened a couple of years ago on the Rye Playland Scrambler. If two people ae in the cars the ability to lie day would be diminished.

Blame it on stupid people and lawyers!

Edited by larrygator

Aquazoid at Water Country USA doesn't allow single riders, either, because a lack of sufficient weight could stop the raft in the middle of the course (then they have to come and get you).

Without knowing the rationale behind the rule, I can't really form an opinion. SFA uses the same rule for its bull-themed breakdance ride.

That's true; I've been to Dorney Park last year during my amusement park tour in which I visited almost all the Cedar Fair parks and Dorney Park was the only park in that circuit that requires you to ride the Scrambler with a partner.

I should add two more parks that has this rule: Indiana Beach in Monticello, Indiana and Family Kingdom in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Fortunately, I was able to find partners to ride with; in fact, there was a single rider right in front of me trying to get on the Scrambler in Dorney park. When he was told that he couldn't ride by himself, I got up and announced to the attendant that he could ride with me. So we both got on and rode the Scrambler.

Here's another point to ponder: Is there a real advantage to having the "NO SINGLE RIDER" rule? In some cases, the rider's safety might be an issue. Another reason means the line for that ride will go quicker.

"So what do all of you think?"

Eli Bridge issued a safety notice to parks a few years ago that they should not allow single riders on Scramblers unless they have installed seatbelts. Some parks have just decided to enact the rule even if they have seatbelts though.

Many Chance rides are doing this now.. Zippers, Wipeouts, SkyDivers, Trabants... If the ride has a shared lap bar with no seat divider and no individual mechanism, you'll most likely see this rule.

Sad, considering that many of these rides (but not all) have operated safely for 20 or 30 years.

I think the common thread with these rides is that their design could allow you to turn sideways and get your knees out from under the lapbar. From that position, you could stand up and exit the ride while it's in operation. Having a riding companion next to you on the seat makes it much less likely that you could do something like this.

Sadly, many of these rules have unfortunate stories behind them.

I worked a ferris wheel at Idlewild in Pennsylvania for a few years. We did not allow single riders either. The main reason for this was that when the cars are at the very top we can not see the riders. If one of the riders would be having some sort of problem, like a panic attack or something worse, than the other rider would be able to alert us of the issue.

Knoebels Wipeout rule only lasted the first year. Not only is there no way in hell that anyone big enough to ride it is going to get out from under the seatbelt and padded lap bar, but riding the outside seat with someone on the inside seat was painful due to the centrifugal force.

Last year before the ride was removed, the Turnpike at Kennywood wouldn't allow single riders. For those of you that don't know, the Turnpike was just your average single rail guided car ride that used antique style cars. This completely baffled me for I could see no reason that such a ride would need two riders to operate. This dissapointed me when I saw this because I went out to the park that day by myself just to ride that ride before they closed it down as it was my favorite ride at the park when I was a child.

The Looper at Knoebel's, most likely because riding alone would mean no one to help see-saw it, or once started the unbalanced wheel would be out of control.

The first time I rode I was actually a single rider, so an employee rode with me so I could still go. He told me what unit to get into, and told me he'd take care of the pedal, just rock. I couldn't see/walk straight afterwards...

I believe HUSS Breakdances have no single rider rules. This is speaking for SFKK however! Also while they had that rule posted at the entrance, i've ridden it several times by myself!

I rode that one last year solo too. I never even saw a rule for no single rides.

I was visiting a local carnival or fair whatever you call it that is near me this weekend. And I there on a Thursday night when there was nobody there and I couldn't ride the Zipper because I would be a single rider. And there was nobody at the fair last night both friend or complete stranger that was willing to go on the ride. Note: There was only like 15 guest there last night. And the scrambler and matterhorn were the exact same thing too.

The Playland Coaster has a sign up that says no single riders and that singles will be paired. Reason being shared lap bar and no seat divider/belts. They haven't enforced that rule for quite a while now and I've even seen kids smaller than me riding by themself with no problems.

When I rode the Rock-O-Plane at SCBB, there wasn't a sign that says no single riders, but I was paired up anyways. I know that Chance Rides set a rule about that, but I don't think Eyerly ever did. Could it just have been capacity reasons?

Also, scrambler at Playland allows single riders and has always been allowing them.

Two things I wish:

1. I wish it were always possible to find out whether a ride at a park or carnival allows single riders. Always, no exceptions. Both online and at the park (especially online, of course). It's annoying when a ride list says singles aren't allowed on one ride (usually the Zipper), but you know they aren't allowed on others also.

2. I wish it were the norm for ride staff to find partners--I've heard of people getting turned away before. I know the rider can do this also, but it's always reassuring when a sign says the staff will try to take care of it for you. Also, if it were the norm, you could just walk into any line and not have to worry, and just get held aside for a few minutes. That way you could avoid talking to strangers.

The first one is unlikely because the number of people who would care is probably not enough to make this kind of change worth it. Also, I suppose the wording could seem slightly negative.

The second I'm assuming is unlikely because it's just another responsibility in an already busy, challenging job.

I have absolutely no problem with solo trips in general, and coasters usually aren't affected by this rule. However, this is one very good reason to go on social trips, especially with people who will ride anything.

I believe HUSS Breakdances have no single rider rules. This is speaking for SFKK however! Also while they had that rule posted at the entrance, i've ridden it several times by myself!

I rode that one last year solo too. I never even saw a rule for no single rides.

It was larger than the other writing on the sign out front, and red I think. However I don't remember it being enforced.

I just remembered slingshot! I got a free ride on the one at SFKK before it was removed and the ops called someone from maintenance to ride with me!

^It's always nice when extra employees are available, as well.

I accidentally got into this situation once on an Octopus, and a carny offered to ride with me. We found a couple kids who I wasn't too fat to ride with, though.

Does anyone have any tips as far as how to ask strangers to ride with you? I know it's not that complex, but I'd like to hear what others have tried so that if I have to do it, I'll have a spiel that doesn't feel too awkward.