Erik & Smisty's Florida Oddventures

Holy Land! - Page 114
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Re: Erik & Smisty's Florida Oddventures

Postby BrownStreak » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:49 am

Are the Bistro Mc-D fries the same fries? They look a bit "browner" in your pics. Its the "world's largest" one- the one at Sand Lake & I-Drive with the animatronic Ronald McDonald?
Of the road, but still in a truck...By the way, that's my dog Millie (named after Millennium Force) over there to the left!

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby moinab » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:55 pm

Yeah! Places I've been to! :lol:

Did you do the San Sebastian Winery tour in St. Augustine?

We had some sort of wrap at the Sand Lake/I-Drive McDonalds, one time. I didn't realize they had other Bistro locations.

Let me know, if you ever plan on coming up to Jacksonville!

"Been Around The World And Realized Only Stupid People Are Breeding"

Postby packfanlv » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:35 pm

Thanks for the entertaining thread Erik and Smisty. I have been dropping in often over the past couple of weeks, so I figured that I should finally post. Your unique sense of humor is much appreciated!
I write about how to travel the world for pennies on the dollar at Miles To Memories!

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:33 pm

BrownStreak wrote:Are the Bistro Mc-D fries the same fries? They look a bit "browner" in your pics. Its the "world's largest" one- the one at Sand Lake & I-Drive with the animatronic Ronald McDonald?

Not sure why these look browner. But yes, same fries.

I'm not sure I understand your second question, so I'll over-answer it. The "World's Largest" is at Sand Lake & International, and is one of the Bistro Gourmets, but this report was from a different one (which is also on Sand Lake, but a bit south of International).

moinab wrote:Did you do the San Sebastian Winery tour in St. Augustine?

We didn't. We're not really wine people. Was it interesting beyond just trying out wines? We did enjoy St. Augustine enough that we'd like to go back and do all the stuff we didn't get to on our first trip.

packfanlv wrote:Thanks for the entertaining thread Erik and Smisty. I have been dropping in often over the past couple of weeks, so I figured that I should finally post.

You should definitely post, even just to say that you enjoyed it. I know it seems silly, but these things often live and die based on the responses. There's nothing more disheartening than posting a trip report (or update) and being met with crickets. Conversely, I get very excited when my phone dings and it's an email telling me someone has responded to my thread. So thank you to everyone who has posted so far, and keep it up!

/Did that sound desperate?
Erik Allen Elness

Guaranteed Fresh or Your Money Back!

Postby dandaman » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:50 pm

Electerik wrote:You should definitely post, even just to say that you enjoyed it. I know it seems silly, but these things often live and die based on the responses. There's nothing more disheartening than posting a trip report (or update) and being met with crickets.

Quoted for absolute truth. Also, I'm extremely happy you get to post some of the lesser-known Orlando attractions; actually being close to them, your reviews could come in handy if I want to do a couple of days on the cheap away from the parks. :lol:

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby STR8FXXXINEDGE » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:53 pm

DING!

I kid, I kid.

Really though, that is a super nice McDonald's! I didn't see that one when I was there, but I did go to the world's largest McDonald's. It was multi-level, and it had crap ALL over the place, and I actually thought it felt kind of trashy. I almost just said everything that it had in it, but I caught myself. I don't wanna ruin any upcoming surprises. :angel: You know... just in case you have that one planned.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby PAL » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:40 pm

^Good, no spoilers! Forget the theme parks. I'm traveling cross country collecting Mackey-D credits. Might even start a thread, TPR'ers who worked at McD's. Open, close, grill, stock, register, inventory, training, I had it down.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Xcoaster » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:36 pm

There's one of those on Del Mar Heights Road in San Diego too. The Bistro Gourmet portion is kept somewhat separate from the McDonald's, but I think you can order most of the same things from either side. We often stop by for gelato.

Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:39 am

Gald to see you made it down to Florida safely and are getting yourselves steeped in the local culture. St. Agustine is awesome! I havn't been there since I was 7 or 8. The fort looks much smaller than I remember. Anyway, I look forward to seeing all the cool little out of the way attractions. =)

Guy "Enjoy yourselves." Koepp

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby BrownStreak » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:49 am

Erik,

Ooops, there was a typo in my post that you answered- sorry about that. It was supposed to say "Is the..." not "Its the..."

I worked at the Sand Lake/I-Drive Mickey D's for a short time just before I left Orlando in 1995. Back then there was an animatronic Ronald McDonald & Friends show in the 2nd floor seating area- don't know if its still there. It was also note-worthy for having a robotic arm that made the fries and a machine for drive-thru which made the drinks. It also had a "new" concept called a "Walking Drive Thru." You would place your order at a register set out away from the main counter and then walk up towards the counter to pay and get your food- it was supposed to be faster. I think some of the Disney counter-service locations do/did this as well.

It was such a horrible place to work in some respects. Management was infamous for not being able to get schedules made or posted before the week they were for began. At 3 or 4 am, they would switch over to breakfast and we'd have young people coming in after the bars closed wanting Big Macs and stuff and they would get mad that we had switched to breakfast already. In other ways- it was great to work there- the local franchisee actually had the crew members go through customer service training and we often got free food. We also had items on the menu which had been discontinued at most McDonald's like McPizza and Teriyaki Chicken Nuggets.
Of the road, but still in a truck...By the way, that's my dog Millie (named after Millennium Force) over there to the left!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!