Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

p. 1815 - Holiday in the Park Media Day
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Postby coneyislandchris » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:23 pm

Popped in for a couple hours today. Only my fifth visit of the year -- been too busy hitting all the other parks that I've been neglecting my unofficial home park. Got in the gates pretty quickly at opening, immediately bounced over to Joker to throw my crap in a fluffy goo bunny for two hours, and worked on hitting up the west side of the park. Yes, that includes my phone, thanks to their new-this-season rules that prohibit any "loose" articles even in zippered pockets, so I bit the bullet and tossed the phone in -- so that means no pictures for this report. (Sorry! Wall of text incoming.)

Against all my instincts telling me to go to El Toro and marathon the crap out of it, I ended up walking over to Kingda Ka first, and was handsomely rewarded with a front row ride on the first train of the day. Always a rush! Afterwards, took the long deep walk back to Zumanjaro, where I was again the first rider of the day... and the only rider two times in a row. The ride ops asked me if I wanted to ride again once I touched down, and I said... "um... sure! But won't I be f*cking over everyone at Kingda Ka?" "Oh, no, not at all. It's down for maintenance right now." Yup, they got two trains out the gate before it went down. Par for the course around here.

Cut through the Wild Walkway to get over towards El Toro, and was thoroughly impressed by the size of their lion cubs. They've grown so big! After acting like a crazy cat lady for them (and the other miscellaneous animals on display, such as the goats and flamingos), I finally dragged my butt out of that section and hit up Toro... only to see them still cycling empty trains at 11:30 with a line all the way back to the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo. Noped right out of there and decided my time would be better spent getting twisted. So instead I migrated to the far back corner and got a quick pair of rides on Bizarro; one all the way in the back row, and one in the front. Of course they were running three trains with only six riders (at most) per train, why wouldn't they be? Still, always a good ride, still my favorite floorless, and one of the few that I put up with the mild ear-boxing I get from B&M's OTSRs. (Funnily enough, I never seem to have that problem on Batman: The Ride... but that's another story for later.)

After a pair of Bizarro rides, my plan of attack was to hit the fort to get in a single lap on Runaway Mine Train and then take the Skyway back towards Joker, where I parked my luggage. RMT... the nostalgia is powerful with this one, as it's one of my earliest roller coaster memories, when I was but a kiddo of my own visiting the park with an aunt who's no longer with us. I can't NOT ride it whenever I go. They ended up retracking a portion of that airtime hill right before you go over the lake, and although I had heard bad things about it, it's not too terrible and hardly noticeable. More noticeable audibly than anything. By the time I got off the train, I noticed that El Toro was now sending screaming patrons through its course, so I put the skyway on the back burner (sorry, Bill) and jogged back over to the Bull, where the crowd had already been processed through enough that I was able to get a walk-on in car 5's middle row. Viva la Bull! It was full of a lot of first-time riders today, and it was great to hear their screams of terror turn to joy. She's running great as ever!

After asking someone what time it was, I discovered I still had about 20 minutes left on my fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo rental, and so I hopped in a relatively short line for Joker, made even shorter by the unused single-rider line leading straight to a party of three. Score! We headed off to the purple side, and they definitely improved this thing since last season. We got three complete rotations in full, and when we weren't flipping, we were upside down. Glad to see it's doing good, and hopefully the next time I come with the kiddo, I'll finally be able to get him on it (now that he's done the ones at New England and Great America before actually getting on the one at his home park).

Hit up my fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo, grabbed my phone to find out that I had exactly one minute left on the rental. Boo-yah. Since it was getting close to 1, I swung over to Primo's and grabbed a chicken caesar for lunch, walked over to the Skybar and got some lemon-lime seltzer out of the Coke Freestyle machine, then continued walking over to Granny's so I could chill out at an air-conditioned table. Powered through that because I had dates with the east side... and first up, I wanted to feel the intensity. Aw yeah... Skull Mountain incoming! Walked through the structure and was greeted with a mild crowd in the station, but no line for the back seat. The kids, they just don't KNOW. Unfortunately, it appears that someone else couldn't handle all that intensity, because as soon as the folks in the last car walked off the ride, we were greeted by a certain smell... and what looked like the remnants of Six Flags' "Famous" Chicken Tenders all over the front of that car. The ops team did their thing to clean it out, and while they cycled that car through a few times to let it air-dry, they brought in the second train. Unfortunately it was really sunny out today, so the, uh, pitch blackness of Skull Mountain couldn't be experienced in its full glory, what with all the sunbeams poking through. Who cares? Still got thrown out of that seat going over the drop. Still got to rock out to awful death metal. It is everything you expect as it always is.

Next up on my hit list was Nitro, and over here I was greeted with a walk-on in the second-to-last row thanks to them running three trains and cycling them through with crazy speed and total efficiency. They were pushing them out so fast that I made the decision to walk all the way back around and actually wait for the front row... which took all of three minutes. Nitro's not the tallest, fastest, or most twisted hyper out there, but again, who cares? I absolutely love the insane amount of floater air it provides and I would be happy to ride this non-stop for a day.

But after my third lap on Nitro, and time ticking down before I had to make the drive back to Queens, I decided to check out Batman for a lap or two. Unfortunately, I was stymied there, as although there was no one posted at the gate, the ride was down for maintenance. Rather than run out the clock waiting for that, I walked back towards Metropolis for my first look at Justice League. Hadn't been at the park since it opened. Looks way impressive, but the line was silly long at that point, so again I put it in the pile for next time. I still had a few minutes to kill before I had to hit the road, so I wrapped up my day with a few games at the Studio 28 arcade and a Dippin' Dots for the walk back to the car. Clock hit 3:00 PM, turned the key on the ignition, and with four hours, thirteen rides, a lunch, and a snack under my belt, I called it a successful half-day at the park.

-- Minor edit; I just went back and counted... apparently this was technically my fifth visit this year, not my third. I'm counting New Year's Day at HITP, plus apparently I forgot one other time.
Last edited by coneyislandchris on Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:30 pm.
That coaster dad [273] and that coaster kiddo [154]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Intimidator 305. El Toro. Skyrush.

Kiddo's faves: El Toro. Lightning Rod. Goliath (SFGAm). Wicked Cyclone. Thunderbolt (LP).

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:17 am

Sounds like a great day!

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:19 am

Six Flags Fright Fest Media Preview

I arrived at the park at opening to visit with my sister and my two nieces. We agreed to attack the park aggressively over the first two hours before crowds built up and move at a more leisurely pace leading up to Fright Fest activities and the cursed long lines. We had a list of must rides and were able to get on all expect for the Safari Off Road Adventure. I was hoping that we could jump on line at 2:15 and be back at the Picnic Pavilion by 4PM for Fright Fest snacks, but the queue was up to 75 minutes by 2:15.

We started the day at El Toro and got in 3 quick laps. On the third lap our train stop in the lift hill for 15 seconds or so. My sister (who loves coasters, but is afraid of heights) did two minutes of worrying in those 15 seconds about not being able to walk down in an evac situation. The coaster started moving again and as we finished that circuit myself and my older niece were going to do one more lap, but they announced the ride was being closed. At that moment , we saw the second train empty stopped on the lift hill, so I can only assume they were taking our train out of service.

20170923_122213.jpg
as coneyislandchris recently mentioned, those tiger cubs are getting big

Next we proceeded to knock out: Joker, Zumanjaro, walk-through the Animal Discovery area, Skull Mountain, Nitro and Justice League. Justice League was up to am hour wait by 1PM, using the Single rider line did let us cut the wait done to 30 minutes, but it took 25 minutes to get to the single rider split. We walked over to confirm that the wait time on the app was correct for Safari Off Road Adventure. Since it was we split up and I rode Bizarro with one niece and my sister rode Runaway Mine Train with the other. In true Bizarro slow operations form, a five minute wait on the app (line down the stairs) turned into a 20 minute wait with triple stacked trains.

Cheeseteaks in the midway would begin the less hectic portion of our day. As we prepared for Fright Fest mode.
SGFF2_0001.jpg
List of the houses/mazes/trails we needed to cover
SGFF2.jpg
But it is good to have one of these

My niece did a quick stroll through the Trick or Treat trail and was quite unimpressed, having just returned from Disney and MNSSHP.
20170923_134510.jpg
You enter here and there give you a small bag of candy.
20170923_134740.jpg
and you can get your picture taken with Devil Sylvester
20170923_134853.jpg
or Angel Tweety

The three indoor houses opened at 3PM, so we jumped on line for Big Top Terror: Forgotten Carnival 3D. Well we really didn't jump in line, more liked we walked right to the front. I love clown/carnival mazes so not surprisingly this was my favorite and I also thought it had great sets, but wearing the 3D glasses was a hindrance at times. We did this house a second time. The second time we took off over glasses and as we went through one room, my sister and I both felt we completely missed the room the first time

I had a Press Pass so I was allowed to take pictures in the houses and mazes, but it proved difficult in most of them. It was amusing to have the introducing actors recite their spiel but when they got to the part about no cameras they would say "except this guy", They were also supposed to spread word through the house that a media member was coming through with a camera, but many characters still said no pictures, even I as had the press pass in front of me. In the end it was no big deal as most pictures did not come out.
20170923_113016.jpg
Big Top Terror
20170923_151603.jpg
This guy was out in front of the Big Top greeting people all day
20170923_151821.jpg
Pre-room
20170923_152206.jpg
This room was well done as was the forest scene
20170923_152242.jpg
Last scare of the house

Next up we had time to hit the two houses in the old simulator building.
Total Darkness - was very dark and they sent in 12 people at once and asked everyone to hold on the a rope. The lead person had a flashlight. It was not completely dark in most place, if you looked up you could see the tops of the maze walls, but this didn't stop people from leading others right into walls. Those in our group who had never done a totally dark maze didn't get the lack of scare actors. Those in the group that had done total darkness mazes in the past were confused about the lack of darkness.
The Manor - The set looked good in the maze and the actors had the best make-up, well done.
20170923_153044.jpg
20170923_152548.jpg
The entrance to The Manor
20170923_152636.jpg
Why is every manor filled with coffins?
20170923_152818.jpg
Scare actor after chasing people out of The Manor

Next up was light snacks in the Picnic Pavilion. We were uncertain if there was going to be a speaker. I ran into Martin and Cheryl who I have done TPR trips with in the past. There was a speaker but they released 6 characters into the group.
20170923_161419.jpg
Cupcakes and orange sugar cookies
20170923_161422.jpg
Traditional Halloween candy
20170923_161433.jpg
Hot Dogs or mac and cheese
20170923_162443.jpg
My older niece is unimpressed with clowns
20170923_162434.jpg
My younger niece was not scared in any of the mazes. The clown did a great job, playing the part of a creepy, giggly clown around the younger kids at the event. But out in the midway she was more evil sporting a shovel to make sparks on the sidewalk.

20170923_165839.jpg
Before lining up along the parade rout for the Arrival Parade we hopped into the Showcase Theater to catch their new show Unleashed.

We all agreed this was the best entertainment at the event. Among the varied dance and acrobatic performers, the roller skaters were the best. After Unleashed and before the parade we tried to grab a quick ride on Batman, but 5 minutes after we got on line the ride went down. With 20 minute to go before the Parade, we decided to just wait it out so we have an unobstructed view. It would be much better if the parade started when it was a little darker, I guess nature solves that in a few weeks.
20170923_180524.jpg
20170923_180539.jpg
20170923_180554.jpg
20170923_180613.jpg
20170923_180623.jpg
20170923_180635.jpg
20170923_180641.jpg
20170923_180657.jpg
We encountered her again in the Wicked Wood trail and she still had that doll in her mouth.
20170923_180705.jpg

Since we were so close we went to the Awakening Show next. A mistake in so many ways:
1) The sun was still beating down on the stadium not exactly setting a mood
2) The audio was terrible and you couldn't follow the show

At one point many of the maze actors come out a I saw one of the characters that was at our lunch.
20170923_192132.jpg
Cell Block 6 had the longest wait of any of the mazes as we waited 20 minutes with the Express Pass, but that allowed enough time for it to be darker when we got in.

The first 2/3 of the maze were uneventful and then the scare actor from lunch popped out. She recognized my niece and went crazy. She screamed at the top of her lungs that "Megan was hear to visit", the actor ran any they every trap door for the next minute and kept popping out in front of my niece screaming. Then two or three other scare actor joined in alternating between welcoming Megan and screaming at her. My sister and me were dying, I know this made our night and Megan's (even though she won't admit it) and I'm sure the scare actor had a great time also.

The last three mazes we did were Aftermath, Bloodshed and Wicked Woods. Aftermath had a couple of scare actors sitting so still in front of us we didn't know they were real after they jump at the group behind us. Bloodshed was a little sparse on actors and scares. Wicked Woods was a great concept, but it was also the only time we were in a group of more than 10 people throughout the whole night. Unfortunately, the people behind us were complete idiots by calling out all the scares ahead of time and being rude to the actors. Trails are always best in the dark and wide pathways make it tough to see everything coming, but walking underneath the flume is pretty neat also.
20170923_182231_LI.jpg
At lunch this character made it a point to get my niece's name and she said she was going to tell all her friend's in the cellblock about her.
20170923_122924.jpg
20170923_123030.jpg
20170923_131014.jpg
20170923_131116.jpg
20170923_191625.jpg
20170923_195410.jpg
Last edited by larrygator on Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:34 am.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Postby alilstronger » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:57 am

I LOVE the park at Halloween. The decorations are always so good here. I especially love the fog with the laser lights going through it. Can not wait to get up there 10/7. Skipping all haunted houses but can not wait for Kingda Ka at night!
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...

Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Wooden: Iron Rattler

TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:01 am

@ Chris & Larry - great reports, thanks!
Maverick - El Toro - Skyrush - Superman The Ride - I305
TRs: KW/CP / SFOG / KD/BGW / HP / SFA / SFNE/LC / SWO/BGT

Postby alilstronger » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:28 am

So wait a minute... I have not been to the park this year yet. You can not even take your phone up the platform anymore even if its in your pocket? Are they literally reaching to every person's pocket to check for loose items?
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...

Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Wooden: Iron Rattler

TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:32 am

They are not checking pockets but yes you have to get a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo and they'll make it a point to tell you that when entering the line.

You can probably get passed them with your phone but if they see you with it out in the station or queue they will kick you out of line and tell you to put it in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo. The fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo are easy to use and only cost $1 (for two hours). Its a lame policy but personally I understand why they are doing it.
Maverick - El Toro - Skyrush - Superman The Ride - I305
TRs: KW/CP / SFOG / KD/BGW / HP / SFA / SFNE/LC / SWO/BGT

Postby coasterbill » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:54 am

Great report Larry,

We had heard Blood Shed was the best house and we ended up waiting an hour for it and thinking it was one of the worst haunted houses ever in a theme park so I'm glad some of the other ones were better. I'm surprised to hear that Big Top Terror was good, since it was in such a small building I just assumed it was awful.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby DILinator » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:05 pm

The ironic thing about SFGAdv's cell phone policy, is it indirectly CAUSED my phone to get all cracked up! I was a good boy when I went earlier this year, and put my phone in the 1ocker, and really, I wasn't bothered to do so, because El Toro is so aggressive, I didn't want to risk cracking the screen while it was in my pocket (I guarantee you it wouldn't have come out of my pockets). However, when I went to take it out afterward... It slipped out of my hand, and hit that hard and rough concrete there, and cracked all up! :angry: Thanks SFGAdv! :lol: Oh well... I tried... I guess I'm just doomed to crack up a phone every year at an amusement park now, regardless! (Maybe it's a lesson to get a case one of these years! ;) )

Oh, and this reminds me... I still haven't written my TR for that trip, which was July 5th! :lmao: Maybe some day...
Top 10 Coasters! 1.Fury 2.Millennium Force 3.Maverick 4.The Voyage 5. Lightning Rod 6.Storm Chaser 7.El Toro 8.Phantom's Revenge 9. Goliath (SFGAm) 10. Ravine Flyer II Honorable Mentions: Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby johnychen » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:20 pm

Did not know about the new phone policy until I started reading this thread. I guess it was a good thing I did not visit SFGAdv this year. Well, that is one park I may be avoiding for a while until they get some new credits or change their policy. If they are going to force you, the least they should do is make the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo free like Universal. Do they metal detect you like Universal?
Native Houstonian, rocket scientist, mobile DJ, theme park enthusiast, geek, Youtuber, and community activist.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!