Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

p. 1797 - Fright Fest Media Day
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 15 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Postby Sluggo77 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:31 pm

^Couldn't agree more Larry! ROTB was an awesome day with perfect weather. Very cool timing that El Toro won on the same evening. The park gave this postcard and pin to everyone before the evening ERT.

070E9945-1E45-4A48-A1B9-463D1791397B.jpg

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:26 pm

Philrad71 wrote:Man I miss riding that coaster...like really bad.

Things I say to myself every time someone brings up El Toro. So, like, every day...
113 wood+501 steel=614|Boulder Dash|Coaster|X2|Maverick|Phoenix|Twisted Colossus|Storm Chaser|iRat|Kawasemi|NTag

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:30 pm

You know, I wasn't an instant fan of Toro the first time I rode. I wasn't heavy into this hobby, and while I knew people loved it and made a big deal about it, and I got why after I rode, I can't say I liked it. It was a mindblowing ride in every aspect, but it was such a different experience to any other wooden coaster I had ridden up to that point, and was absolutely an acquired taste for me. I definitely didn't dislike it, but it took me the next year of frequenting the park for it to slowly overtake my favoritism of other rides in the park. Its almost like I had to learn to ride it, and in turn, grew to appreciate it. And it eventually became my favorite ride in the park, and now its more or less the main the reason I continue to get SP every year. I've since visited a number of other parks and ridden dozens of other coasters, including some absolutely incredible rides I rank right along with it, but I still consider Toro my favorite wood and second favorite overall. I'll always come back to The Bull.

That said, I haven't been up to the park since Memorial Day and the weathers finally broke so needless to say I'm friggin itching right now.
Maverick - El Toro - Skyrush - Superman The Ride - I305
TRs: KW/CP / SFOG / KD/BGW / HP / SFA / SFNE/LC

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby MisterBrow » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:37 pm

Satans Hockey wrote:
DoinItForTheFame wrote:
Chasehat wrote:Congrats to El Toro for winning #1 wooden coaster at the Golden Ticket Awards! Truly the greatest woodie on earth and is very deserving....

I don't get why everyone says that El Toro is the greatest wooden coaster on earth. When it's really not. There are several wooden coasters out there that are far superior than El Toro. . . I mean, El Toro isn't "bad" but it really isn't the "greatest woodie on earth."

That's why it's called an opinion, if you're riding El Toro and you get off and go ah geez *this coaster* and *this coaster* is so much better than El Toro then you're doing it wrong.

More and more I think where we personally slot top rides has a lot to do with rather minor things such as when we rode them, who we rode them with, our limits of certain G forces, how much we like theming, and a big one: how well our particular bodies fit into the cars and restraints. But, yes, even if it isn't your favorite woodie I don't see how it isn't in like your top 5 even with the caveat that while you don't like it that you can see why for many it is number one.
Meister Brau just wants a path from CC to SM at SFA, meal plan burrito, some shade, and a restroom back there.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby michaellynn4 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:39 pm

Man, I didn't realize just how spoiled I was when I was still living right down the street from the park. I'd have after-work El Toro marathon sessions at least twice a week, if not more. One of the few things I really miss from living up there.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby JRice92 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:00 pm

The airtime on El Toro is the strongest sustained airtime I've experienced on any coaster, wood or steel. It's not Ka, Zum, or Nitro that keeps bringing me back to Great Adventure it's El Toro! It's a 7 1/2 hour drive from my house to SFGAdv yet in the past 12 months I've visited separate times.

Speaking of visits, some Cedar Point co-workers and I will be visiting the park next Thursday, September 21st if anyone will be at the park. Half the group has never been to Great Adventure before so it's another visit I'm very excited for!
2015 Ride Host - Millennium Force
2016 Team Leader - Millennium Force
2017 Ride Supervisor - Valravn/Millennium Force

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby Sluggo77 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:07 pm

JRice92 wrote:The airtime on El Toro is the strongest sustained airtime I've experienced on any coaster, wood or steel. It's not Ka, Zum, or Nitro that keeps bringing me back to Great Adventure it's El Toro! It's a 7 1/2 hour drive from my house to SFGAdv yet in the past 12 months I've visited separate times.

Speaking of visits, some Cedar Point co-workers and I will be visiting the park next Thursday, September 21st if anyone will be at the park. Half the group has never been to Great Adventure before so it's another visit I'm very excited for!

That's awesome. Hoping to get my first CP trip next year for coastermania. Was just at GA for ROTB on Saturday. If you love Toro you should hit that up next year. Two full hours of ERT on Toro after park closing!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:40 pm

boldikus wrote:You know, I wasn't an instant fan of Toro the first time I rode...and now its more or less the main the reason I continue to get SP every year.

What about Skull Mountain? ;)

While there are other woodies I prefer, El Toro is still a world class ride. The first three hills and Rolling Thunder hill give some of the strongest sustained airtime I've experienced on any coaster. Skyrush is really the only one rivaling it.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Balder, Voyage
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:51 am

When I was in high school, my friends and I would discuss "perfect albums." These are records that are the absolute best that they could be, albums for which nothing could improve them. This was our way of skirting the issue of whether Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon is better than Pearl Jam's Ten or Depeche Mode's Violator. Yeah, they're all kickass rock albums, but they're all so different that it's difficult to fairly compare.

So if I would apply this logic, Outlaw Run, El Toro, Phoenix, and Voyage are all "perfect coasters." They are the best that coaster could possibly be, without trying to be something they're not.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

Postby viking86 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:43 am

Reading all these posts about El Toro makes me miss the ride as well! Spent two days at SFGADV in 2008, and had a great time. El Toro was easily the highlight of the trip and still stands as my favorite wooden coaster.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!