Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

p. 1900 - Wonder Woman Lasso of Truth Opening in 2019!
Users viewing this topic: Johnlloyd and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Re: Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Postby The Geek Mojo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:52 am

In regard to the cell phone convo in this thread at SFGAdv...They're not cracking down at every Six Flags park on loose articles. Every time I go to SFOG which I go to regularly, people have their cell phones out on coasters all the time. The ride operators even see people with cell phones in their hands and check their restraints and don't say anything. The only coaster that they really make an announcement on about loose articles is Twisted Cyclone. Personally, I feel if more parks allowed secured gopros, cell phones flying through the air and injuring people would be a thing of the past.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby appel » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:50 am

coasterbill wrote:Surprise! The park is closing early today due to low attendance. They gave a solid 6 minutes of advanced notice, most likely because they realized in a panic that it was about to stop raining and they might have to eat it for 4 hours. :lol:

So when did they actually close, at 6pm?
Well, we thought about going to Six Flags Great Adventure during our yearly US-Coastertour, but hearing that they often close early makes us drop Six Flags and go for Carowinds instead...(we have been to Great Adventure 2016 and 2013).
Cannot understand their policies, seems like a common Six Flags problem as New England does this as well quite often I guess.
We are flying over from Germany and would be bummed if the park closes much earlier.
After all these years we prefer the Cedar Fair parks over Six Flags.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby HeyItsKrabs » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:54 am

During the summer, they rarely close early, actually. Usually due to "inclement weather" which could mean the weather itself... or that the rain is keeping crowds away and making it unprofitable to keep the park open :lol:

If it's a normal day, however, they'll almost always keep it open no matter how many people are in the park. I'm not sure I agree with dropping this park just because of potential rainy days, but Carowinds is a great park anyway that you'll enjoy.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:06 am

The park won't ever randomly close early.

They close early due to "inclement weather" if the park isn't busy. "Inclement weather" can include rain, a brief thunderstorm or mildly cool temperatures. The best way to avoid this is to ensure that you go on a day where it's absolutely gorgeous and the park will have to eat it if nobody shows up or on a weekend during a busy time of year. The same park that will close early due to inclement weather when it's 49 degrees the first weekend in November due to cold temperatures will happily open on a Fright Fest day a few short hours before a hurricane destroys most of the Jersey shore (yeah, that totally happened) or run their 80 mph hypercoaster on a 19 degree night during their busier Christmas event.

Go to Great Adventure, but have a flexible schedule.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby HeyItsKrabs » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:25 pm

^^^ 19 degree Nitro and Batman was a blissful experience, other than almost getting frostbite on my hand!

Early closures at this park seem to be related mostly on whether or not it's profitable to run the rides - that 19 degree day actually had some decent crowds for HitP, while the 49 degree closure, the park was basically abandoned.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:42 pm

That Ale House looks really great! Multiple taps, pretzels, relaxing atmosphere, hell yes!

* It's moments like this that I realize I am actually an adult now. That's semi depressing, but on the other hand, beer.

Postby thrillrider » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:43 pm

coasterbill wrote:The park won't ever randomly close early.

They close early due to "inclement weather" if the park isn't busy. "Inclement weather" can include rain, a brief thunderstorm or mildly cool temperatures. The best way to avoid this is to ensure that you go on a day where it's absolutely gorgeous and the park will have to eat it if nobody shows up or on a weekend during a busy time of year. The same park that will close early due to inclement weather when it's 49 degrees the first weekend in November due to cold temperatures will happily open on a Fright Fest day a few short hours before a hurricane destroys most of the Jersey shore (yeah, that totally happened) or run their 80 mph hypercoaster on a 19 degree night during their busier Christmas event.

Go to Great Adventure, but have a flexible schedule.

Cedarfair parks are starting to do the same thing...
Screenshot_20180720-004005_Facebook.jpg
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Postby coasterbill » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:45 am

Yeah, I've seen parks like Valleyfair and Carowinds do it but in those cases the weather is generally horrendous with no indication that it will let up for the rest of the day. Great Adventure will use any passing storm as an excuse to close the park for the day if attendance is low.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby B&MIntaminGCI » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:44 pm

I mean hopefully they're using the money they're saving to fund us a major roller coaster finally. :lmao:

Postby thrillrider » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:57 pm

coasterbill wrote:Yeah, I've seen parks like Valleyfair and Carowinds do it but in those cases the weather is generally horrendous with no indication that it will let up for the rest of the day. Great Adventure will use any passing storm as an excuse to close the park for the day if attendance is low.

Add kings island to that list..
Screenshot_20180720-215611_Facebook.jpg
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!