TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Well, considering Green Lantern still stands, apparently we're not complaining enough.

You are complaining enough, but not to the correct audience.

If you are insinuating I don't (also) complain to the park, you're wrong. Every single survey.

I used to do the same thing for Six Flags America. I also provided a lot of feed back on their FB page. I have officially been blocked from their FB page. Its the only Six Flags page in the chain I can not 'like'. Not saying I am proud of that.

The fact that the cut through to the Big Wheel is still blocked off make it even more...odd. I have obviously been rooting for a new coaster next year, but in all honesty they need to funnel that money into adding more flats, shops and landscaping to this area.

Yeah, as much as I LOVE new rolly coasters, I definitely think that area there needs to be the focus of the next year or two at GAdv. Hopefully, that is their thought as well, and JL is just the first step in really revitalizing, and reclaiming that area as useful, and attractive park space!

Keep in mind this area has been closed off for years! Almost since the Chiller was taken out. If JL is a hit they may add more and more back there.

I was looking at the history website, and it looks like that area used to be packed. Water ride, bumper cars, space ship...and obviously the 2 or 3 different shows they had.

Six Flags solar farm: Court OKs Jackson project

JACKSON — The township's decision to allow a solar farm at Six Flags Great Adventure was perfectly valid, despite requiring developers to cut down thousands of healthy trees, an Ocean County judge ruled.

In her June 19 decision, Ocean County Assignment Judge Marlene Lynch Ford ruled that plans for a 21-megawatt solar facility proposed by Six Flags and KDC Solar LLC could proceed.

A park spokeswoman did not immediately return requests for comment.

The park, solar company and township were sued by six environmentalist groups which argued that the project took one step forward but two steps back: In order to build the solar farm, developers would cut down nearly 15,000 trees, many of which are linked to the Pinelands National Reserve but not under the same protections.

Instead, they called for the installation of solar canopies over the 100-acre parking lot, as it would provide comparable solar energy without removing trees. Six Flags has dismissed that concept, as it would require the removal of cherished parking spaces.

"We are disappointed the Court sided with chainsaws instead," said Jeff Tittel, director of the New Jersey Sierra Club. "We believe the Court was wrong in siding with Six Flags and KDC in the destruction of an environmentally sensitive forest for solar panels."

The project was the subject of a nine-month-long planning board hearing, focusing mostly on neighboring residents' fears of flooding and loss of property value.

But the lawsuit itself centers around a 2015 zoning change that allowed solar farms to be constructed in conservation areas."I’m very much in favor of solar panels, but not at the expense of the nature we’re trying to save. We have a beautiful habitat here," one resident said during the hearings. "What's the reason we would let it go — because somebody wants to build solar panels?"

The plaintiffs argued that zoning change was cherry-picked as a favor to Six Flags and KDC Solar, with the solar farm project in mind.

But in her decision, Ford held steadfast on the concept that municipal legislation is "presumably valid."

It was the township council's responsibility to weigh the environmental advantage of a solar farm against the disadvantage of clear-cutting thousands of trees, Ford said.

"Even if this Court disagreed with that judgment, it is clearly consistent with a reasonable exercise of legislative judgment to tip the scales in favor of the advancement of solar energy uses," Ford said.

Ford also ruled that solar energy is an "inherently beneficial use," a classification that usually gives a project preferential treatment in the approvals process.

There used to be a lot in the former Old Country section - Spinmeister (Enterprise), Musik Express, bumper cars, Pendulum (now at SFGAm), Freefall, Chiller (and before that the scrambler and Space Shuttle), Splashwater Falls, etc, not to mention food stands and even game stands.

I'd love to see it reopen, but people need to recognize that it'll need a significant monetary investment to get it back up and running. It's not as easy as just reopening that pathway; it's completely understandable why current management wouldn't want guests to walk past all of the abandoned, run-down buildings just for the sake of a shorter walk. Besides, they've gone on record as saying a pathway has to be monetized in a way for it to be worthwhile. It's a business, after all.

I mean, they put a SIGN in front of the path by El Toro's photo booth so that it heards groups of people to see their photos. I mean you can squeeze through openings, but it comes across as desperate and desperation is not a good look.

Most corporate parks dump you straight into gift shops after their major rides. If you don't think that little sign is a good look then you should probably never set foot on Universal, Disney, Cedar Fair, Busch, Sea World or HFE property. Six Flags is honestly LESS in your face about this than basically any other chain.

There's a difference between having a ride exit going through a gift shop with tons of merch. Montu, Cobra's Curse and even SUF at GAdv do it, but it doesn't feel as tacky or as desperate as blocking off an open path to herd people under an awning to see a photo.

Keep in mind this area has been closed off for years! Almost since the Chiller was taken out. If JL is a hit they may add more and more back there.
The Chiller was back there? It's been so long since they took down the ride that I've forgotten the details of where it was, but I thought it was more towards the middle of the park.

Well . . . it was a great day for me at Great Adventure. Wasn't sure at first because it was raining when I got up Friday morning and for a good part of my drive up from Maryland. Turned out to be a mostly sunny day in New Jersey

Gold Flash pass was well worth it (the only real waits with it were Superman: Ultimate Flight and JL:BFM)

How long has GAdv been using the paid lockers?

My score card was . . .

JL:BFM x 1 (first on my agenda. I got the highest score in the car I was in . . . and I forgot to grab the 3D glasses )

The Dark Knight Coaster x 2 (my favorite Wild Mouse)

Batman: The Ride x 3 (can't go wrong with a B&M Invert)

Skull Mountain x 1

The Joker x 2 (both times I was sent to the green side. Got some good flips in)

Nitro x 5 (3 trains running . . . ops were sending 'em out quick)

Houdini's Great Escape x 1

Runaway Mine Train x 1

El Toro x 3

Kingda Ka x 5 (it was intermittently down during the day, same with Zumanjaro)

Zumanjaro x 1

Green Lantern x 1

Superman: Ultimate Flight x 2

Bizzarro x 2

Except for Superman: Ultimate Flight . . . . ride ops were really quick in getting full trains out. Food service was also very good. Only thing I didn't get to do that I wanted to was Safari Off-Road (by the time I get back there at 4:45, it was already at full capacity and closed for the day).

I'll likely go back again this year . . . . Now if my memory serves correct, for Fright Fest and Holiday in the Park, Kingda Ka and Zumanjaro don't run because of the cold weather (same with Safari Off Road) and Bizzarro doesn't run because of weather as well?

ride ops were really quick in getting full trains out.
I'm glad to hear this. My visit last weekend had Nitro and El Toro stacking all of their trains.

Now if my memory serves correct, for Fright Fest and Holiday in the Park, Kingda Ka and Zumanjaro don't run because of the cold weather (same with Safari Off Road) and Bizzarro doesn't run because of weather as well?
Ka, Zum, Safari, Toro, and Bizarro will be closed for HITP, but I do think they run around Halloween.

I'll likely go back again this year . . . . Now if my memory serves correct, for Fright Fest and Holiday in the Park, Kingda Ka and Zumanjaro don't run because of the cold weather (same with Safari Off Road) and Bizzarro doesn't run because of weather as well?

Every non water ride in the park runs during Fright Fest including Safari. For the November bonus weekends they close Frontier Adventures (so Bizarro, Safari and Mine Train). Closing weekend for El Toro, Kingda Ka, Zumanjaro and everything past the Boardwalk is the weekend before the start of Holiday in the Park in late November.

These closures have very little to do with weather and more to do with staffing. If it were 30 degrees during Fright Fest they would run every single ride in the park. They most likely just cut expenses for Holiday in the Park in order to make the event sustainable since the average crowd during the event is lower than in peak season.

That being said, you should go for Holiday in the Park anyway because it's amazing and you can ride an 80 MPH hypercoaster at night in New Jersey in January.

^ I HIGHLY second this!!

HITP was so much fun at Great Adventure. I lucked out two winters ago and it was in the 50's during the day when I was there on a December Saturday. Yea, some of the coasters are down for the season but they make up for it with the beautiful light displays.

1. I had no clue that hitting up the Safari Off Road before noon was the best idea (as I said, my priority when I went was JL:BFM)

2. Nitro at night during FF and HITP sounds awesome. I know for FF, there's a "Flash Pass" for the mazes . . . and I'll likely get that. (I know one of the FF rides is a hayride to the Switlick house). As for the rides, I think Gold Flash pass is sufficient enough (or are crowds for FF & HITP not enough to warrant a FP?)

I personally hate Fright Fest and avoid the park like the plague during that time.

Lines for Kingda Ka, El Toro, Nitro and Joker can easily exceed 3 hours, the mazes are upcharges and they're terrible, they have virtually no scare actors anywhere except at the fountain where they can't scare anyone because their entire job is to stand there while people take selfies with them, there are an ungodly amount of exit passes so even with a Platinum Flash Pass Nitro's line can exceed an hour in later afternoon, the security line can be an hour easily AFTER they buzz you into the queue and it's just overall not a good experience.

If you want to visit the park and have free reign of everything then I suggest visiting for the November bonus weekends. While Bizarro, Mine Train, Safari and Skyway are closed, every single ride is a walk on pretty much all day (even Kingda Ka and Joker).

Holiday in the Park generally has lighter crowds. The park gets decently busy but the demographic shifts dramatically towards families so it's very likely that the midways will be slammed come nightfall but the major coasters will have very short / nonexistent lines.

1. I had no clue that hitting up the Safari Off Road before noon was the best idea (as I said, my priority when I went was JL:BFM)

2. Nitro at night during FF and HITP sounds awesome. I know for FF, there's a "Flash Pass" for the mazes . . . and I'll likely get that. (I know one of the FF rides is a hayride to the Switlick house). As for the rides, I think Gold Flash pass is sufficient enough (or are crowds for FF & HITP not enough to warrant a FP?)

Don't waste your time! Their haunted houses are not scary. If you go during FF spend your money on a Flash Pass because the lines get really long for some of the coasters.

I'm a big fan of daytime visits during fright fest. It's usually still warm but the lines are much shorter than during the summer. .

If you are talking about late September that makes sense, but once October hits the place is a mess even during the day.

Well . . . it was a great day for me at Great Adventure. Wasn't sure at first because it was raining when I got up Friday morning and for a good part of my drive up from Maryland. Turned out to be a mostly sunny day in New Jersey

Gold Flash pass was well worth it (the only real waits with it were Superman: Ultimate Flight and JL:BFM)

How long has GAdv been using the paid fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo?

My score card was . . .

JL:BFM x 1 (first on my agenda. I got the highest score in the car I was in . . . and I forgot to grab the 3D glasses )

Skull Mountain x 1

Runaway Mine Train x 1

El Toro x 3

Zumanjaro x 1

Green Lantern x 1

Bizzarro x 2

Except for Superman: Ultimate Flight . . . . ride ops were really quick in getting full trains out. Food service was also very good. Only thing I didn't get to do that I wanted to was Safari Off-Road (by the time I get back there at 4:45, it was already at full capacity and closed for the day).

I was there on Sat. Lines were nonexistent tI'll late afternoon. Allowed for lots of rerides.

How long has GAdv been using the paid fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo?

My score card was . . .

Skull Mountain x 1

Runaway Mine Train x 1

El Toro x 3

Zumanjaro x 1

Green Lantern x 1

Bizzarro x 2

I was there on Sat. Lines were nonexistent till late afternoon. Allowed for lots of rerides.

I used to try to go to Fright Fest on Friday nights. It usually wasn't too bad except for the last 2 Friday nights in October (except Halloween night when it is empty). Last year it seemed more crowded and I will probably avoid October all together this year except Columbus Day.

After seeing the overflow queues set up with the Glow In The Park Parade trash cans and chains for rides like Superman that already can hold a multi hour line, as well as the pictures from trip reports of past years, I will never go on a Saturday during Fright Fest and avoid Sunday as well.

Edited by YoshiFan

To go to GAdv on a Saturday night during FF means you are courting amusememt park hell. I avoided it for 15 years and decided to give it a try on the last Saturday before Halloween in 2015...huge mistake. It took 1 hour just to get from Wawa to the parking lot. The lot was full and we had to park at the very back of the HH parking lot. After walking through multiple teenage groups passing blunts and across 2 parking lots, we were greeted with a 45min line just to get into the park. Inside the park it was almost too crowded to walk. We tried El Toro, but the line was out to the bridge by Bizarro. We stepped out of line and left the park with 0 rides under our belt.

So yeah, avoid those Saturday's like the plague.

To go to GAdv on a Saturday night during FF means you are courting amusememt park hell. I avoided it for 15 years and decided to give it a try on the last Saturday before Halloween in 2015...huge mistake. It took 1 hour just to get from Wawa to the parking lot. The lot was full and we had to park at the very back of the HH parking lot. After walking through multiple teenage groups passing blunts and across 2 parking lots, we were greeted with a 45min line just to get into the park. Inside the park it was almost too crowded to walk. We tried El Toro, but the line was out to the bridge by Bizarro. We stepped out of line and left the park with 0 rides under our belt.

So yeah, avoid those Saturday's like the plague.

Listen to this man, he speaks the truth.