TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I'll likely skip Green Lantern . . . . and I may throw in a few flats here and there, as well as an animal show

DO NOT SKIP GREEN LANTERN! People consistently complain that it is a bad or "rough" ride but I highly recommend riding it. It is fun, thrilling, and the theming ties in with the 2011 movie of the same name. Good coaster experience, and I don't understand why it gets so much hate.

I think it gets hate because a. It's a stand up coaster and b. It replaced the Great American Scream Machine

I think it gets hate because a. It's a stand up coaster and b. It replaced the Great American Scream Machine

Any coaster is better than no coaster. It is still thrilling and has a fun DC Comics theme.

On that note, Great Adventure doesn't have any Superhero meet and greets? I asked the character attendant if any of them would be out today and she responded saying they never visit this park! Come on Six Flags! SFA in Maryland has Batman roaming, heck even SFNE has The Flash meeting! but Great Adventure doesn't have any?

SFGAdv, step your character game up. You have so many DC themed rides, have the characters out taking pictures!

2) Batman: the Ride: good but rough

What? Batman is probably the smoothest coaster in the entire park.

Anyone who thinks Batman is rough should find a new hobby. Snappy? Hell yea. Rough? LMAO.

and b. It replaced the Great American Scream Machine

GASM was an ear-bashing POS, and GL is generally a huge improvement, but it still sucks.

I hope they add these or various versions of it to all Six Flags parks.

Unfortunately this will likely happen and SF has hinted at it. Having a dark ride at all parks is fine, but the same exact one, not so much. It's not like putting in skyscreamers or some staple flat ride. Come up with a new concept/theme for 1/2 the dark ride installations would be nice.

Anyone who thinks Batman is rough should find a new hobby. Snappy? Hell yea. Rough? LMAO.

I would agree that the coaster itself is smooth (but snappy). However, I would describe the head banging that can ensue on the Batman models (or any intense Inverts) to be a little rough at times. Rough on the ears at least...

and b. It replaced the Great American Scream Machine

GASM was an ear-bashing POS, and GL is generally a huge improvement, but it still sucks.

Well, on THIS we can completely agree! I think GASM may be the worst coaster I've ever ridden! Anything that can make Green Lantern be a "huge improvement" has got to be in contention for that title!

^^ I never, like literally never get any headbanging on Batman. I don't know how anyone could.

Same thing with Bizarro except one little spot exiting the cobra roll and into the MCBR.

^Is it just this one you're referring to? Cause I know on the SFGAm one the whipping action gives some head bangers here and there. Also, I may be thinking of Raptor, mostly, and attributing it to Batman. I guess I'll ride it in a couple of weeks, and refresh my memory!

I'll likely skip Green Lantern . . . . and I may throw in a few flats here and there, as well as an animal show

DO NOT SKIP GREEN LANTERN! People consistently complain that it is a bad or "rough" ride but I highly recommend riding it. It is fun, thrilling, and the theming ties in with the 2011 movie of the same name. Good coaster experience, and I don't understand why it gets so much hate.

I found it a lot more enjoyable when I rode it during HitP with a heavy hat and hood on. With bare ears it's a pass for me.

GAdv Batman is rough compared to other Batman's...SFMM is butter. I have ridden Batman's at 5 parks in the last 10 months and GAdv was near the bottom of the smooth list.

Got there at around 3:15 today, and it was an amazing day. Lots of schools but no lines for anything at all.

The longest we waited was for the Joker, 5 whole minutes.

Highlights:

1. A storm rolling through, realizing in the middle of it, that I don't have my wallet, running to guest services to ask about the lockers I left it in, security came over and told me "You know you can open the lockers as many times as you want within your time limit right?" Didn't know that, felt dumb

2. Walking to the locker to retrieve my wallet, passing a goose that was full on ATTACKING a seagull. I hear flapping and a seagull squawking in pain, look down and see a seagull being thrown around by a goose, it's rear end fully in the gooses mouth flapping to break free, it eventually broke free and flew away and the goose and it's goslings got their bread.

Joker: 1

Nitro: 2 (one was like an AMAZING sunset ride with all the mist and fog from the rainstorm evaporating off the trees creating a golden lit fog over the horizon, it felt like I was in another world.)

Skully: 1

Batman: 1 (The ride was H A U L I N G today, like crazy forceful)

El Toro: 5 (someone had a pack of gum on the ride, it flew off, I caught it, but then wasn't sure what it was and let it go until I looked down and saw 2 sticks of trident sitting on my knee and then blinked and they were gone)

Bizarro: 1

Runaway Mine Train: 1

El Diablo: 1

Skyway: 1

Love the new JL ride, very disappointed with all the new updates they did around JL that the the 2 days ive been in that area, that the bathroom had zero AC with all the humidity we have had. SF needs to fix this issue. Who the hell wants to stick to a toilet seat.

Finally made my first visit to the park today. JL definitely exceeded my expectations. I saw a POV of one of its clones last year, however POV's do not do this thing justice. There were a lot more practical effects than I expected, and those last few scenes offered some great vehicle movement that synced perfectly to the screen. The exterior and queue were also very nice aesthetically.

There were a couple of issues, though. First, and this has nothing to do with the ride itself, but the area around the ride is extremely empty and bare. They did a good job of repainting/retheming buildings on that strip but there is so much empty concrete space. The fact that the cut through to the Big Wheel is still blocked off make it even more...odd. I have obviously been rooting for a new coaster next year, but in all honesty they need to funnel that money into adding more flats, shops and landscaping to this area. Secondly, there should really be an attendant where the line splits for groups of 1-2/3 or more. It kept backing up there as people were checking to see which line appeared shorter as opposed to following direction. Lastly, there were technical issues during my 2nd ride. It had a 10min breakdown while I was in line, and on the last screen where the scores were displayed the graphics stayed frozen.

Overall, amazing addition to the park. We have needed a dark ride for years and this really blows away almost every non-Universal/Disney dark ride I have been on.

The fact that the cut through to the Big Wheel is still blocked off make it even more...odd. I have obviously been rooting for a new coaster next year, but in all honesty they need to funnel that money into adding more flats, shops and landscaping to this area.

Yeah, as much as I LOVE new rolly coasters, I definitely think that area there needs to be the focus of the next year or two at GAdv. Hopefully, that is their thought as well, and JL is just the first step in really revitalizing, and reclaiming that area as useful, and attractive park space!

They need to reopen all the blocked off paths, I don't even get why they're closed except for money grabbing opportunities. I'm surprised the El Toro bridge to Bizarro is still open and they don't force you to walk all the way around.

I mean, they put a SIGN in front of the path by El Toro's photo booth so that it heards groups of people to see their photos. I mean you can squeeze through openings, but it comes across as desperate and desperation is not a good look.

Reopen the GK shortcut, reopen the path from Sky Screamer to Justice League.

I agree it's not painful, but thrilling? Starting with a straight drop with no air, have these guys ever designed a roller coaster before? And a floorless conversion of it might be the most boring coaster ever. Go ride a decent standup, oops they're all gone this side of Japan. Thanks complainers.

(P.S. I will try GL again if I get a chance but I'm not waiting more than 5 minutes.)

I mean, they put a SIGN in front of the path by El Toro's photo booth so that it heards groups of people to see their photos. I mean you can squeeze through openings, but it comes across as desperate and desperation is not a good look.

Most corporate parks dump you straight into gift shops after their major rides. If you don't think that little sign is a good look then you should probably never set foot on Universal, Disney, Cedar Fair, Busch, Sea World or HFE property. Six Flags is honestly LESS in your face about this than basically any other chain.

Go ride a decent standup, oops they're all gone this side of Japan. Thanks complainers.

You're welcome.

The fact that the cut through to the Big Wheel is still blocked off make it even more...odd. I have obviously been rooting for a new coaster next year, but in all honesty they need to funnel that money into adding more flats, shops and landscaping to this area.

Yeah, as much as I LOVE new rolly coasters, I definitely think that area there needs to be the focus of the next year or two at GAdv. Hopefully, that is their thought as well, and JL is just the first step in really revitalizing, and reclaiming that area as useful, and attractive park space!

Keep in mind this area has been closed off for years! Almost since the Chiller was taken out. If JL is a hit they may add more and more back there.

Well, considering Green Lantern still stands, apparently we're not complaining enough.

You are complaining enough, but not to the correct audience.

If you are insinuating I don't (also) complain to the park, you're wrong. Every single survey.

Well, considering Green Lantern still stands, apparently we're not complaining enough.

You are complaining enough, but not to the correct audience.

If you are insinuating I don't (also) complain to the park, you're wrong. Every single survey.

You have to talk to the attendant at the Laser Maze. That's the decision maker