TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Zumanjaro is fantastic, do not skip it.

. . . I'll take your advice. I know it's one of those things that if I don't do it I'll regret not doing it. And once I do it I'll love it... but it's the forcing myself to do it the first time that's the issue. Oh well, I'll force myself on it!!

If I can do it you can. I've talked about my drop ride phobia on here before but a short refresher:

I rode Freefall @ Great Adv way back in the day and I think I wiped the experience from my memory. I remember it, but not really. Years later in the early 2000s I rode Moreys Larson tower after I was peer-pressured into it and was scared sh*tless. Keep in mind I was a huge coaster fan but I swore off drop towers for years after Atmosfear.

Right after Zum opened I was @ the park with a non-enthusiast friend and he wouldn't even walk back to the station w/ me, he sat and played on his phone while I went to ride it. After watching them build it throughout the beginning of that season and with all the hype of the fact we were going to have the worlds tallest drop tower I forced myself to ride. I had to. So without my friend I was now actually doing it alone, or rather with a bunch of strangers. And though I was sweating profusely and holding on for dear life, heart racing, etc... I actually thought the experience was pretty effing cool. A few more rides that season and I was hooked.

I think what I hated about drop towers, since I have basically no fear of heights, was the *not knowing when* you are going to drop. Because that's all that really separates drop rides from coasters, right? You drop on both of them, with coasters you know when. But I've accepted that its part of the experience and I look forward to it. I now ride every single drop tower at every park I go to. I even love Morey's tower now!

Just do it. You will regret it if you don't. What's the worst that could happen? You have a sh*tty time, you get off, and you go ride something else? On the other hand you could (and probably will) really enjoy it. Stop at Macho beforehand and chug a beer or three and you won't even have to force yourself!

Also I'll echo Bill on KK front row. Ive only done it once up there cause I'm an impatient sh*thead but it was easily the best lap I've had on it. Also Toro second from back always, Bizarro/Batman front (tho back is acceptable for Biz), Skull back row ONLY, Nitro back far right, etc

Are you taking notes?

I'm trying to figure out if I should visit the park on Saturday or Sunday this weekend. Who's going which day? TPR meet-up?

Saturday is the move. Forecast calls for morning rain and then overcast all day, meanwhile Sunday looks gorgeous, will likely be more crowded I'm thinking. Thinking any casual visitors thinking of going Saturday will postpone til Sunday? Hopefully. LOL

Ho much is the bus from New York to Six Flags? I'm an annual passholder

Here you go.

I'm trying to figure out if I should visit the park on Saturday or Sunday this weekend. Who's going which day? TPR meet-up?

Saturday is the move. Forecast calls for morning rain and then overcast all day, meanwhile Sunday looks gorgeous, will likely be more crowded I'm thinking. Thinking any casual visitors thinking of going Saturday will postpone til Sunday? Hopefully. LOL

Was hoping I'd be in on this on Saturday, unfortunately looks like my wife had arranged some other plans for that day. Currently trying to get me and the kiddo back down there on Sunday instead, but getting some pushback on that as well. He needs more Toro laps, and he's been trying to steel himself up for finally getting on Joker.

Somehow my wife thinks laundry is more important than that.

I'll admit that in slightly concerned about the prospect of them starting Toro before it's broken in for the season with 25 mph gusts and temps in the 40's. They'll try of course, and if it were Fright Fest I'd have zero hesitation but that thing loves to valley on opening weekend when the wheels aren't broken in. It's practically tradition. Lol

Regardless though, we'll be there Saturday. Can't wait. Come on Ryan, we're counting on you guys. Lol

Edited by coasterbill

I know cold temps and wind (more the second) can cause coasters to valley, but I'm still amazed El Toro can valley considering how much that thing hauls when I've ridden it. When it valleys, is it typically on those two small humps returning to the brake run?

I'll admit that in slightly concerned about the prospect of the starting Toro before it's broken in for the season with 25 mph gusts and temps in the 40's. They'll try of course, and if it were Fright Fest I'd have zero hesitation but that thing loves to valley on opening weekend when the wheels aren't broken in. It's practically tradition. Lol

Facts.

But you know they'll break out the crane and get that puppy up and running by noon. I'm not worried.

I know cold temps and wind (more the second) can cause coasters to valley, but I'm still amazed El Toro can valley considering how much that thing hauls when I've ridden it. When it valleys, is it typically on those two small humps returning to the brake run?

Toro has actually been running extremely well this preseason, even in colder temperatures so hopefully we won't see any saddles this season

(The first run of the season may or may not have occurred when it was 39 degrees out and the train may or may not have flown through the course haha I'll say that.)

And yes it typically saddles on the last hill into the brake run. It's taller than the two small humps before it so it's the highest hill following the Rolling Thunder Hill. Intamin purposely made the last hill so tall so that the train would slow down naturally into the brakes.

Can't wait to see everyone on Saturday!

Toro has actually been running extremely well this preseason, even in colder temperatures so hopefully we won't see any saddles this season

(The first run of the season may or may not have occurred when it was 39 degrees out and the train may or may not have flown through the course haha I'll say that.)

And yes it typically saddles on the last hill into the brake run. It's taller than the two small humps before it so it's the highest hill following the Rolling Thunder Hill. Intamin purposely made the last hill so tall so that the train would slow down naturally into the brakes.

Can't wait to see everyone on Saturday!

We'll be there on Sunday for our first visit, glad to hear you're still at Toro.

Great to hear! Can't wait to get the first rides of the season in.

My wife's plans for tomorrow may possibly be falling through. If that ends up being the case I'm lobbying hardcore to move up the GA run to tomorrow since we'll be "free". Fingers crossed.

I got an email about a pretty terrific meal deal: $44.99 for a lunch and a snack every day of the season. I was about to jump on it until I realized that my expectation of when I'll be at the park a lot is around Christmas when I'm there at night and would not be eligible for a "lunch". Would I be able to get that pass to be dinner and a snack? (Dinner is the same meal and thus price, just later in the day.) If not, would the late hours of Holiday in the Park or the Halloween events mean that the "lunch" hours are pushed back?

Regardless, I expect to be there for opening day. Is there a plan to meet up?

And I thought I was unlucky for missing Joker in my 3 visits last year. Seems like that ride is never open.

I'm jealous your Six Flags opened a week earlier than New England's. Granted we did have a Nor'Easter this weekend so it'd be doubtful they could open anyway. Just one more week I have to wait.