TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Well this is pretty cool. Via the parks snapchat (gradventure), looks like they are installing an entirely new pathway.

themeing.jpg[/attachment]

When was the last time GAdv had shows in the Showcase Theater? (you'd think during the summer, they'd have shows there so people can dip inside and get out of the heat)

Well this is pretty cool. Via the parks snapchat (gradventure), looks like they are installing an entirely new pathway.

themeing.jpg[/attachment]

When was the last time GAdv had shows in the Showcase Theater? (you'd think during the summer, they'd have shows there so people can dip inside and get out of the heat)

HITP. Also pretty sure the "Slash" show was in there during Fright Fest.

New path? I assume it's not that super convenient one that used to connect Kingda Ka and El Toro?

I still don't understand why that path is not opened up!

Its simple really. There is nothing for you to buy along that path. Sure, they could add a few booths/kiosks but why bother when they can make you walk through the boardwalk with its endless plethora of mediocre food and crappy games? This is likely the same reason they aren't opening the Old Country path when JLBFM opens - they'll send us around through Movietown since there is stuff to buy there.

When stuff Six Flags does doesn't make sense, just follow the money.

And in regard to that path - if Safari Discoveries is open (it usually is during the day) use that to cut between PDC/Golden Kingdom. You get to look at some fun animals on the way.

I understand the logic, I just feel like they really wouldn't lose much money, if any at all, by opening the path. Most people that frequent theme parks don't usually (I stress the word usually) make impulse purchases. I know I'm not a theme park expert. But I do feel I'm right. Either way, SF isn't going to listen to little old me lol!

I understand the logic, I just feel like they really wouldn't lose much money, if any at all, by opening the path. Most people that frequent theme parks don't usually (I stress the word usually) make impulse purchases.

That's a pretty general statement that in my experience is far from reality. I've found that when I take non-enthusiast folk to the park (often, since I don't drive) they are much more likely to stop and want to buy something, or at the very least browse since they don't go so often, compared to me who wanders around the park from ride to bar to ride, mostly oblivious to the parks attempts to sell me things - I rarely go looking in retail stores (except Coasters and Candy - I pass it coming/going to the Bull, and I always check for new magnets) and Ive even gotten pretty good about completely tuning out the incessant advertising everywhere you turn that everyone seems to complain about.

^ I'm with you. When I go with Rikki or my brother, we never stop in retail outlets unless out of necessity. However, if I go with my aunt and cousin, they want to stop and make one ridiculous impulse purchase after another. As inconvenient as the closed paths may be, my inner capitalist dances gleefully at the thought of moving more product.

That said, I'm sure it's just a matter of time before the Old Country path is open again full time. I imagine they may wish to wait until the section is fully renovated before doing so. I don't blame them for not wanting people to walk past more abandoned buildings on a daily basis.

Those used to theme parks make fewer purchases, but excluding food and drink I'd still call them impulsive. Someone who is more accustomed to shopping places, that's not impulsive it's what they do. But either way, you're going to have to drag them by shops to keep them going.

New path? I assume it's not that super convenient one that used to connect Kingda Ka and El Toro?

I still don't understand why that path is not opened up!

Its simple really. There is nothing for you to buy along that path. Sure, they could add a few booths/kiosks but why bother when they can make you walk through the boardwalk with its endless plethora of mediocre food and crappy games? This is likely the same reason they aren't opening the Old Country path when JLBFM opens - they'll send us around through Movietown since there is stuff to buy there.

When stuff Six Flags does doesn't make sense, just follow the money.

And in regard to that path - if Safari Discoveries is open (it usually is during the day) use that to cut between PDC/Golden Kingdom. You get to look at some fun animals on the way.

Any thoughts on when they will close the path from El Toro to Bizarro or the path that wraps along the lake from the teacups to The Joker.

Well good point re: the lakefront path, but to be fair the path from Toro to Bizarro is usually closed early in the day anyway, and is generally not a great comparison in this instance since the alternative doesn't contain all that much retail. For instance, there are a few food stands peppered around Sawmill/RMT but the one near the Arena/bathroom I haven't once seen open in the last three years, the other two closer to the lake/entrance of Frontier just sell pretzels and sodas, and all told its nothing like the amount of money making opportunities present in the Boardwalk. I mean there's Best of the West too if you want to be generous.

You could even argue the park opens that path to nudge people from the deadend of Bizarro back into Plaza Del Carnival with El Mercado, Coasters & Candy, Macho and all those food spots between the tents and BBNP. More retail there than if they backtrack through Frontier. I know you're playing devils advocate but you can't deny SF does everything they can to separate people from their paychecks.

I know you're playing devils advocate but you can't deny SF does everything they can to separate people from their paychecks.

True, but so does every other business. Every company just approaches it differently.

Closing the path from KK to ET funnels guests through the Boardwalk, where they could be enticed to spend money. How I still think the reason for the Old Country path is closed is because of aesthetics, the surroundings look abandoned

So, a bit of topic... but...

I'm going to be making a trip back to Great Adventure next month. It will be my first visit back to the park since El Toro opened. I'm THRILLED to be going back to the park. I'm really looking forward to El Toro, and giving Kingda Ka another go. . . Maybe it will raise a little in my ranking. I'm also looking forward to Drop Of Doom... as many of you know I HATE drop towers.... but I can't pass up the chance to ride Drop Of Doom. . . Honestly, is it as bad as it looks?!

Zumanjaro is fantastic, do not skip it. Not super forceful but feels endless, and the view and the mindf*ck of being up that high is what gets you. Not the best drop ride but one of the best drops on any ride in the park. I love it. I hated drop towers til I rode it and now I do them all. It has a single ride line, and the standby queue is almost always short (my theory is its because you have to walk to Guam to get there, but for us enthusiasts its a treat since it offers awesome views of Toro's drop you couldn't really get before). My fiancee was terrified to ride it but we literally pulled her kicking and screaming and she loved it so much we stayed in our seats and rode it again (park was dead that night). She doesn't go up often to the park with me but anytime I talk to her about coming up its the ride she wants to do again. DO NOT SKIP! Face your fears, and come out on the other side laughing.

I know you're playing devils advocate but you can't deny SF does everything they can to separate people from their paychecks.

True, but so does every other business.

Fair enough. Though Six Flags aren't exactly stealth about it. I personally don't really care but they are pretty damn obnoxious with this. Sorry to sound like I'm bashing, I'm just saying. You know I love the park!

Closing the path from KK to ET funnels guests through the Boardwalk, where they could be enticed to spend money. How I still think the reason for the Old Country path is closed is because of aesthetics, the surroundings look abandoned

I'll agree with this. I think we'll get a flat package with a Discovery, maybe one of those newfangled Enterprises, to round out the area over the next few years. There is certainly the space for it. However, in the meantime SF of all parks is going to use the opportunity to steer guests past some gift shops, eateries and an arcade over the empty Old Country path.

So, a bit of topic... but...

I'm going to be making a trip back to Great Adventure next month. It will be my first visit back to the park since El Toro opened. I'm THRILLED to be going back to the park. I'm really looking forward to El Toro, and giving Kingda Ka another go. . . Maybe it will raise a little in my ranking. I'm also looking forward to Drop Of Doom... as many of you know I HATE drop towers.... but I can't pass up the chance to ride Drop Of Doom. . . Honestly, is it as bad as it looks?!

The walk to ZU is so not worth it. Spend your time riding better rides in the park.

Zumanjaro is fantastic, do not skip it.

. . . I'll take your advice. I know it's one of those things that if I don't do it I'll regret not doing it. And once I do it I'll love it... but it's the forcing myself to do it the first time that's the issue. Oh well, I'll force myself on it!!

I'm really looking forward to El Toro, and giving Kingda Ka another go. . . Maybe it will raise a little in my ranking.

If you ride in row 1, it'll go way up in your ranking. If you don't then it's shaky as hell. Wait for the front.

PS: Don't miss Safari Off Road Adventure since that'll also be "new" since your last visit.