TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Adventureland (Iowa) Discussion Thread

Here's the link.

I always liked how you could find a top tier kiddy ride in almost every pocket of the park, but the majority of the markets out there have a designated area for the little ones, and it really makes sense to have it that way. Great for families: Older siblings and parents want to go off and ride the coasters, Space Shot, or Storm Chaser? Have grandma stay and spend time in "The Barnyard" with her grandchildren. Plus, if they continue to add to this area, I can totally see them slowly taking smaller rides out from around the park (or moving them) so there's more land for the future.

[Maybe they want to keep the essence of having milder rides scattered throughout their property though, who knows?]

I've always been really impressed with Adventureland's additions, and planning for the improvement to the park, but this younger generation of management has really impressed me. They just have a great awareness to what is happening in the ride industry, and what's the best addition for them. They attend the same big conventions and expos that the Cedar Fair and the Six Flags teams do. But they make intelligent decisions that work for them. They took a chance on Mondial and Gerstlauer in the recent past and it brought recognition, respect, and that sweet sweet $$$$$$$

21762687_1446705508746163_460491288362831094_o.png.b017cf3ef8838721425f577ca650adfe.png

Seems like this addition is well received with the people of Des Moines. If you look through the comments on the Facebook post you see nothing but positive comments and people saying that their young ones will definitely enjoy it. I didn't see one comment complaining that it isn't a thrill ride. Adventureland seems like one of those family owned parks that isn't talked about enough. I think the two kiddie rides will probably be a Zamperla jump around and I could either see Zamperla barnyard and of course have the barnyard theme to it, or some miniature tea cups. I don't know why but I'm REALLY looking forward to this addition. It just makes me so happy to see parks filling in little gaps like this.

I had the luck of visiting the park waaaaay back in 1976, when David and I drove back to visit a family reunion.

(He's from Ames). I got to visit two parks just fresh and open to the public: this one and Valleyfair! Great parks,

back then. Good to see that AL is still around and growing very nicely. And supported locally, too! That's

very important I think, with a lot of smaller parks across the country(ies).

FILE0458.jpg.3397e1a689d9da558b917fa735410b69.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for tracking that down, Jordy.

Eli, Seriously??? We don't know anything. You ran across a damn blog post and come parading it around here like it's set in stone. Thanks for completely wasting my time. Next time you're going to post bullsh*t, how about you tell everybody where you got it.

Eli, Seriously??? We don't know anything. You ran across a damn blog post and come parading it around here like it's set in stone. Thanks for completely wasting my time. Next time you're going to post bullsh*t, how about you tell everybody where you got it.

wtf?? Do you not know who Ride Entertainment is? Take a goddamn chill pill, buddy.

Here's Ride Entertainment's tweet btw, for anyone curious:

DN99QhkVoAAsqyX.jpg

Oh. Ok. Well I'm sorry for..... Making you mad? I just wanted to post that comment real quick before I had to leave for school. I didn't really think to post the link. I didn't mean to make anybody mad.

On an off note, I seriously LOVE the Pig Out name and theme. I'm so excited for this! I love anytime a park makes a big investment like this. Although I was kind of hoping they'd get one of those Zamperla beach houses. But I love what they are getting!

• 3 months later...

To bump the thread, here is a little pointless speculation.

I would like to see Adventureland remove Dragon and replace it with a modern steel coaster, like a Chance Hyper GTX. And as unique as the Underground is, I think it would be good for the park to remove it and replace it with a modern dark ride. The park already has a pretty impressive flat ride collection, but seeing them add to it would be welcomed. Especially since a few of them are aging quite poorly. Alright folks, thoughts?

I don't mind Dragon, but I wouldn't notice it gone either.

The Underground is awesome though, and I doubt it would be replicated with anything modern. It is one the main reasons I'm debating driving 8 hours up there again this year. It's such a cool concept and so unique. A modern dark ride would be nice for the park, but there's no reason to make it at the expense of one of their most interesting rides.

I have a feeling that the next major addition/replacement will be the removal of the Splash Over for something new. Those rides never last.

Quirky old dark rides > Modern dark rides, in my personal opinion. Give me some leaky boats and cheesy spook effects any day of the week over justice league. Hell, I'll even take Castaway Kids, because WTF? I'm patiently waiting for my trip to Kennywood and Knoebels.

It will be interesting to see where this park is in ten years. I think it could go either way, but progression for the better seems more likely at this point. I'd never heard of this park prior to Monster.

But you know, why don't they just call up Hopkins and have them build a log flume with their newfound space?

Says the man with all of the right ideas.

. I'd never heard of this park prior to Monster.

This is probably common knowledge around here but this is the actual park the writers of the movie "Adventureland" were inspired by when writing their film. Correct me if I'm wrong but they at one time were seasonal employees and drew much of that movie from their own experiences at the real Adventureland.

I didn't know of this park before that movie.

As a former park employee myself (Geauga Lake) I loved the spot on accuracy of the movie Adventureland and how it portrayed the life of summer amusement park employees.

Quirky old dark rides > Modern dark rides, in my personal opinion. Give me some leaky boats and cheesy spook effects any day of the week over justice league.

THANK YOU. Your opinion is correct.

Also, if the pic from last page is the Pony Trek model they're getting...man, that's adorable. Very "classic children's toy."