Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Page 1781 - Twisted Timbers Media Day Report w/ POV Video!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:11 pm

Holy Crapola!!! This thing looks amazing!!

Might have to squeeze KD into my annual DC trip next year.
Bigger is not always better.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:34 pm

Every time I see updates on this I think "Holy F*ck this is in the same park as Intimidator".

Postby coasterbill » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:23 pm

boldikus wrote:Every time I see updates on this I think "Holy F*ck this is in the same park as Intimidator".

This park's coaster lineup is going to be nuts next season. Despite the fact that it's market share doesn't warrant it at all, they'll probably have the best lineup in the entire chain after Cedar Point plus a kick a** drop tower, giant Frisbee, classic flyers and an amazing log flume. It's kind of ridiculous (in a good way).

Yes, I know the Kings Island people are coming. You can argue that, but I strongly disagree even without Twisted Timbers.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby CaptainUnknown » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:47 pm

With every construction update I'm seeing of this thing, it's looking more and more likely my big trip next year will be BGW/KD. As excited as I am for that trip, it'll mean missing out on Knoebel's.
Sweet Screams are Made of This. Who Am I To Disagree?

Parks: 21
Credits: 104 (21 wood/83 steel)
Top Wood: Outlaw Run
Top Steel: Millennium Force

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby CoasterAuditor » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:46 am

boldikus wrote:Every time I see updates on this I think "Holy F*ck this is in the same park as Intimidator".

Kings Dominion really is a stacked park (ducks before the B&M Hyper dreamers attack)

Us Virginians are quite lucky to have KD and Busch Gardens in the state and SFA not too far from me but compared to those two noooobody cares

-Insane Intamin Giga
-RMC
-B&M Mega
-B&M Invert
-B&M Dive Machine
-B&M Floorless
-Unique Intamin Launched Inverted Coaster
-Premier Spaghetti Bowl Indoors
-Verbolten
-Sky Rocket II
-GCI
-Premier Themed Family launch coaster

Not a bad lineup to have within 1.5 hours of where I sleep.
In my opinion El Toro and Intimidator 305 ride fairly and are free of material roughness.
(That's an auditor joke don't kill me)

Coaster Count: 113

Postby Vonni » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:28 am

^ I'm jealous

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby CoasterAuditor » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:32 am

Vonni wrote:^ I'm jealous

I'm jealous you have Outlaw Run.
In my opinion El Toro and Intimidator 305 ride fairly and are free of material roughness.
(That's an auditor joke don't kill me)

Coaster Count: 113

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby SLCHeadache » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:01 am

coasterbill wrote:This park's coaster lineup is going to be nuts next season. Despite the fact that it's market share doesn't warrant it at all, they'll probably have the best lineup in the entire chain after Cedar Point plus a kick a** drop tower, giant Frisbee, classic flyers and an amazing log flume. It's kind of ridiculous (in a good way).

Yes, I know the Kings Island people are coming. You can argue that, but I strongly disagree even without Twisted Timbers.

Re: market, I'd argue that KD captures some of the DC area market, if only because SFA doesn't step it up. Traffic on the Beltway is also enough to keep Northern Virginia residents going to KD over SFA.

Re: vs. KI, the only thing the Cincinnati market has over the Richmond market is Beast, Bat, and Mystic Timbers. (Including BGW in the "Richmond market" to cover what KD is missing). In fact, I’d put KD+BGW up against CP and the only things CP would have over the two parks would be Top Thrill Dragster, Maverick, and Steel Vengeance.
Top steel: Intimidator 305 / Fury 325 / Tatsu / Storm Runner / Twisted Colossus
Top wood: El Toro / Phoenix / GhostRider / Renegade / Flying Turns

Postby coasterbill » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:27 am

I have no doubt that you're right, but I'm referring to their attendance compared to the rest of the chain.

If we go on the TEA numbers (which of course aren't 100% accurate but they're the best estimate we have) we know that Knott's Berry Farm, Canada's Wonderland, Cedar Point and Kings Island are tops in the chain. We're not sure where Kings Dominion falls as it's not even on the list but it's probably reasonable to assume that it's around the 1.5 million to 2 million guest mark (as that's how it was trending 2 -3 years ago) which is about 1.5 million guests below Kings Island, less than half of the Knott's number and about exactly half of the Wonderland number (which is a better comparison thank Knott's since both KD and CW run similar schedules, though Kings Dominion actually has more operating days).

They're probably #5 or #6 in the chain depending on how they perform compared to Carowinds (my guess is that Carowinds will beat them this year with Winterfest, but next year that's obviously a wash). We're estimating a lot and admittedly there's a large margin of error, but it seems reasonable to assume that they're somewhere around #5 or #6 in the chain.

So all of that said, it's pretty impressive that they've spent so much money on amazing new rides for Kings Dominion over the years. Dominator totally fell into their laps, but I still can't believe they ended up with an RMC and the world's most intense giga coaster plus a really impressive flat ride lineup. If you really think about it, it's absolutely insane.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby FilmoreISnAZN » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:23 am

CoasterAuditor wrote:Kings Dominion really is a stacked park

[...]

-GCI

To be fair, your GCI is INCREDIBLY mediocre.

It's cute...

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!