TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

The policy applies to I305, FoF and TT only. If you can put it in a pocket that's fine. So phone and keys, etc in your pocket is fine. The main things they are enforcing are bags, hats and glasses without straps as you enter the line. I've seen people put hats in their shirts and they're fine with that. It's nothing like Gadv's policy, where even if you have a phone in a zipper pocket, they'll make you put it in a fb.

that seemed to be Cedar Point's policy when I was there last year too. . . hats had to go down shirts, or be put in a bunny.

(tho not sure if that's the case now with SV, or if everything needs to go in a FFBFWMAG)

The policy applies to I305, FoF and TT only. If you can put it in a pocket that's fine. So phone and keys, etc in your pocket is fine. The main things they are enforcing are bags, hats and glasses without straps as you enter the line. I've seen people put hats in their shirts and they're fine with that. It's nothing like Gadv's policy, where even if you have a phone in a zipper pocket, they'll make you put it in a fb.

that seemed to be Cedar Point's policy when I was there last year too. . . hats had to go down shirts, or be put in a bunny.

(tho not sure if that's the case now with SV, or if everything needs to go in a FFBFWMAG)

That's Knott's Berry Farm's policy, too. The one exception is Hangtime, where you can't wear glasses even with a lanyard. However, they still allowed me to keep my phone, wallet, keys, etc. in my pocket.

Can confirm I305/FoF is like how the others mentioned. If you can secure your loose articles (hats/glasses/cellphones)in a safe pocket, you can ride with it. Glasses need a strap...but you guys seem to know the rest.

I'm just gonna thank you all for being so cooperative, whether you've visited the park yet or not. It's kinda nice to know not everybody is ready to tear our throats out when we say that the bins have been removed from the ride.

I know Flight of Fear has had long waits this year despite removing the bins. I think it would do more good to move the guy standing by the entrance to inside to check seats.

Please help! I have an upcoming trip to VA beach the first week of June. I would really like to visit one of the Virginia parks while I'm there but I'm stuck when it comes to choosing. On one hand I'd really like to do KD because I've been dying to try I-305 and Twisted Timbers. I've never ridden an RMC, and Millenium is the only giga I've experienced. However, after those 2 coasters nothing else really stands out to me. When it comes to Busch, there's nothing I'm particularly dying to ride but their coaster collection as a whole seems to catch my eye a little more than the remaining rides I'd have to choose from at KD. Which park would you suggest?

Well, you're wrong and you're right. KD has a great collection past I305 and TT. Many people would argue it has one of the best collections of coasters in the US. Dominator, Volcano, FoF, and R75 are all awesome too. And personally, I like Anaconda and Grizzly, but that's neither here nor there. BGW is just different. It's fantastic too. I don't think their coaster collection is nearly as good, but their coasters are great. Like I said, it's just different. It's beautiful, it's got some great rides and great beer. Nobody can choose for you. If you can, do both.

Please help! I have an upcoming trip to VA beach the first week of June. I would really like to visit one of the Virginia parks while I'm there but I'm stuck when it comes to choosing. On one hand I'd really like to do KD because I've been dying to try I-305 and Twisted Timbers. I've never ridden an RMC, and Millenium is the only giga I've experienced. However, after those 2 coasters nothing else really stands out to me. When it comes to Busch, there's nothing I'm particularly dying to ride but their coaster collection as a whole seems to catch my eye a little more than the remaining rides I'd have to choose from at KD. Which park would you suggest?

One point to bear in mind is that Va. Beach is a lot closer to BGW, and summer traffic on the I-64 corridor can be a pain (especially the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel, Monitor-Merrimac Bridge Tunnel, and the construction zone between Newport News and Williamsburg). The drive from Va. Beach to KD is about two hours on a good day; it's about one hour to BGW.

Timbers running at an unbelievable pace today.

I thought it was already running pretty fast in the afternoon on my visit last month. Really intrigued to see just how fast this thing could get going into the summer.

^ I'm heading down there this Friday with the family, and can't wait to compare it to how it was on media day (for the record, I friggin' loved it in that cold weather, but if it's going even faster all the better).

Also super excited for my daughter as she just broke the 40" height mark, and she'll be getting her first rides on Avalanche and Woodstock Express if all goes well! (The wife, too, if we can talk her into it. )

I didn't find Timbers to be running that much different on Sunday. The main variation anyway is right at the end, whether the last tiny airtime hill is full-on or gives you a bit of a break (fine with me) and if it hits the brakes with any force. It might have been running even faster in the middle of the afternoon, but if so I don't think I'll be experiencing it. It was more than hot enough for me early and late.

It broke down around noon. I had been noticing the train taking longer to return to the station (couldn't see much) and when I rode late day it kept stopping coming in the station like they were using manual brakes. Maintenance guy in the control house.

My opinion of the ride is in one way it's the best coaster in the park but also not. In a more big-picture analysis view it's tied with Dominator, which is a bit bigger and a simpler pleasure. It is very complimentary to what they had, and something that parks without RMCs don't have, so it's still more unique than Dominator. But in a way I'm surprised people mostly really like it. It's smooth but so relentless, hop hop hop. Actually I think I'm starting to get Schilke's madness. On B&Ms people talk about the transitions. On RMCs you're so busy hopping about the transitions are just part of it, camouflaged. It's a very active experience, more a rythm than a smooth progression. And KD's RMC is one with grab post handles, it's relentless, even SV doesn't have them; I use them on that trick track at least. Right now the crowds are affecting when I try to ride it, but I'm looking forward to when I can enjoy it closer to the middle of my park visits. Ride the basics, ride Timbers a couple times (it's enough), then marathon the speed kings.

So has Twisted Timbers continued to run two trains since the Steel Vengeance incident? And it's still on Fast Lane Plus? Made a last minute decision to go on Saturday, the website has it listed on the table but not in the description which I found odd. Just wanted to double check with the experts. Looking forward to my visit (and fast lane plus! 8))

1c462c6cc0ae81f7aad75a8399f5b3d3.jpg

Edit: also are the seatbelts retractable like Steel Vengeance, or are they a fixed length? Don't want to have any trouble like we had in Chicago with seat belt length. No issue with getting the green light from the actual restraints on any RMC, though.

^ Twisted Timbers was on FastLane Plus during my visit last month. Since it's on the FastLane table and marked on the "Rides" page, I think it's still offered. Maybe they forgot to update the description from last year?

As for the seat belts, they are retractable.

I'm planning to make a trip down to KD sometime next week to check out TT and get my yearly I305 laps in. Do you think it would be better to go on Monday (Memorial Day) when the park is open until 11:00pm or during the week when the park is only open until 6:00pm? I'm leaning towards during the week but that's a long drive for a short day. And when do area schools get out for summer break? Thanks, can't wait to ride my first RMC!!

I'm planning to make a trip down to KD sometime next week to check out TT and get my yearly I305 laps in. Do you think it would be better to go on Monday (Memorial Day) when the park is open until 11:00pm or during the week when the park is only open until 6:00pm? I'm leaning towards during the week but that's a long drive for a short day. And when do area schools get out for summer break? Thanks, can't wait to ride my first RMC!!

While I would personally wait until Tuesday to avoid crowds, there is rain in the forecast on Monday, which could scare off some guests. However, it's still Memorial Day weekend, one of the craziest weekends of the year. As for schools, the counties closer to the park (Caroline, Hanover) should be out of school.

While I would personally wait until Tuesday to avoid crowds, there is rain in the forecast on Monday, which could scare off some guests. However, it's still Memorial Day weekend, one of the craziest weekends of the year. As for schools, the counties closer to the park (Caroline, Hanover) should be out of school.

Thanks for the input. I didn't realize schools got out so early down there. I think we'll pick one of he weekdays and avoid the holiday weekend crowds.

Just did a quick Google search for school calendars and found Hanover county public schools last day is June 14th. I can't find anything on Caroline county.

**Edit** Here it is. May 23rd. Dang. Am planning a trip the 2nd week of June hoping the kiddos would still be in school.

2017-2018 Calendar ADOPTED 1-17-17 front and back.pdf

Stopped in for 2 rides on twisted timbers on my way to Busch gardens, absolutely incredible ride. It's so much damn fun.

I know some people goof on the mystic timbers shed but I enjoyed it and after walking through the gift shop here it made me think of so many different things they could have done with a similar shed for this ride, between the twisted tree throwing apples and I'm not sure where they got this bear from but there's an evil stuffed teddy bear they are selling that's inside the hood of the truck in the gift shop, could have added him into one of the versions of the video too lol

Appears Tornado has been removed from the parks website. I heard about this a few weeks back was hoping it wasn't true. Luckily proslide tornados are basically everywhere but in my opinion huge loss for Soak City. Those rides are so fun.