TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Albeit, Carowinds is my home park, Kings Dominion has always been my go to park and I'm probably way too excited about them getting this RMC MAKEOVER!!! I'm more than likely going to end up skipping class next semester just to be there for the opening of it I'm so STOKED for this!! FINALLY an RMC within driving distance

Sidenote: I wonder if Carowinds will do the same thing to their Hurler eventually.......

^ And hopefully CP too!

I bet it would be quite cold on the Peninsula in November/December (which brings the question of IF Cedar Point did Winterfest next year, what coasters/attractions would be open?)

They can have ice skating on the peninsula.

I seriously don't see Cedar Point ever doing Winterfest. The park layout is very conducive to the event since they could just close off the path at Corkscrew and Coaster's Drive in (which would be very easy to do) and give themselves an area near the front gate with 2 kids areas, an indoor theater for a Christmas show and a lot of family rides but I still just don't see it.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that if it weren't for the awful weather and low year-round population base it really would be the perfect park for a Holiday event though. It's really easy to section off the front of the park, and that area features:

- Two kids areas

- At least four heated, indoor restaurants (Melt, Midway Market, Johnny Rockets and Chickie and Pete's)

- A massive heated arcade

- Tons of heated gift shops

- An indoor, heated theater right near the front gate

- Tons of family rides

- Three observation style rides which are always really popular during Christmas events since people want to see lights from above (Windseeker, Sky Ride and Giant Wheel)

- Windseeker and Giant Wheel which make your job really easy as they already have insane lighting packages. Giant wheel can be programmed to show giant peppermints and snowflakes all day if you want. Whatever Christmas thing you can think of, Giant Wheel can show it.

Cedar Fair would clearly never run a B&M during Winterfest at Cedar Point but if they wanted to run a coaster they could choose from either Blue Streak (which I believe was the only coaster running on Ohio State Day this year where it was sleeting and miserable... they run Blue Streak in everything) or Wicked Twister where valleying isn't a concern. They also have Maxair which could honestly satisfy the thrill seekers on it's own. If they run Blue Streak, one train is more than sufficient so they could send the other one to PTC and let them work on that one while Winterfest is going on, then send the other one.

Despite all this, I feel like the weather and low year-round population of the area is a deal-breaker for them. Plus, even with half of a park I would imagine staffing this would be almost impossible. If they were 10 miles outside of Cleveland I think it would absolutely be worth a shot, but as it stands I really don't know if they could convince anyone to make the trip.

The only Christmas Event I could actually see them doing is one of those drive through things in the parking lot. Just use your existing parking booths and at the end just divert people back onto Perimeter road and have them make a left. Those events generally have a "Christmas Village" midway through which is a nice way of saying "Gift Shop" so maybe they could set up some souvenir tents / hot cider and cocoa stands near the gate and run the Carousel as an up-charge if they're feeling ambitious. That's pretty much the most I think anyone can hope for.

Edit: Now we're getting WAY off topic from Kings Dominion though. Sorry.

Edited by coasterbill

Every time I see updates on this I think "Holy F*ck this is in the same park as Intimidator".

This park's coaster lineup is going to be nuts next season. Despite the fact that it's market share doesn't warrant it at all, they'll probably have the best lineup in the entire chain after Cedar Point plus a kick a** drop tower, giant Frisbee, classic flyers and an amazing log flume. It's kind of ridiculous (in a good way).

Yes, I know the Kings Island people are coming. You can argue that, but I strongly disagree even without Twisted Timbers.

Every time I see updates on this I think "Holy F*ck this is in the same park as Intimidator".

Kings Dominion really is a stacked park (ducks before the B&M Hyper dreamers attack)

Us Virginians are quite lucky to have KD and Busch Gardens in the state and SFA not too far from me but compared to those two noooobody cares

-Insane Intamin Giga

-RMC

-B&M Mega

-B&M Invert

-B&M Dive Machine

-B&M Floorless

-Unique Intamin Launched Inverted Coaster

-Premier Spaghetti Bowl Indoors

-Verbolten

-Sky Rocket II

-GCI

-Premier Themed Family launch coaster

Not a bad lineup to have within 1.5 hours of where I sleep.

This park's coaster lineup is going to be nuts next season. Despite the fact that it's market share doesn't warrant it at all, they'll probably have the best lineup in the entire chain after Cedar Point plus a kick a** drop tower, giant Frisbee, classic flyers and an amazing log flume. It's kind of ridiculous (in a good way).

Yes, I know the Kings Island people are coming. You can argue that, but I strongly disagree even without Twisted Timbers.

Re: market, I'd argue that KD captures some of the DC area market, if only because SFA doesn't step it up. Traffic on the Beltway is also enough to keep Northern Virginia residents going to KD over SFA.

Re: vs. KI, the only thing the Cincinnati market has over the Richmond market is Beast, Bat, and Mystic Timbers. (Including BGW in the "Richmond market" to cover what KD is missing). In fact, I’d put KD+BGW up against CP and the only things CP would have over the two parks would be Top Thrill Dragster, Maverick, and Steel Vengeance.

I have no doubt that you're right, but I'm referring to their attendance compared to the rest of the chain.

If we go on the TEA numbers (which of course aren't 100% accurate but they're the best estimate we have) we know that Knott's Berry Farm, Canada's Wonderland, Cedar Point and Kings Island are tops in the chain. We're not sure where Kings Dominion falls as it's not even on the list but it's probably reasonable to assume that it's around the 1.5 million to 2 million guest mark (as that's how it was trending 2 -3 years ago) which is about 1.5 million guests below Kings Island, less than half of the Knott's number and about exactly half of the Wonderland number (which is a better comparison thank Knott's since both KD and CW run similar schedules, though Kings Dominion actually has more operating days).

They're probably #5 or #6 in the chain depending on how they perform compared to Carowinds (my guess is that Carowinds will beat them this year with Winterfest, but next year that's obviously a wash). We're estimating a lot and admittedly there's a large margin of error, but it seems reasonable to assume that they're somewhere around #5 or #6 in the chain.

So all of that said, it's pretty impressive that they've spent so much money on amazing new rides for Kings Dominion over the years. Dominator totally fell into their laps, but I still can't believe they ended up with an RMC and the world's most intense giga coaster plus a really impressive flat ride lineup. If you really think about it, it's absolutely insane.