TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Great update!

This ride looks awesome. Once this thing opens I think you can make a strong case that Kings Dominion has the best coaster lineup in the chain after Cedar Point. Even if this is one of the weaker RMCs (and I doubt it will be), an RMC in the same park as the world's most intense giga coaster, probably the world's best floorless coaster, Volcano, Flight of Fear (which I love and find infinitely smoother and more enjoyable than the Kings Island version) and a bunch of other solid rides (like Avalanche, Grizzly and Backlot) sounds absolutely great.

After visiting Kings Island last month, I didn't really notice much difference in their FOF other than they had a lot more light peaking through, which makes the one at KD superior imo, the one at Kings Island might as well had the lights on.

I am so excited for this coaster! It looks awesome. I really like the unique cutback after the series of epic looking camelbacks. Some people are already saying it looks like a "low tier" RMC but to that I say "what do you call an RMC that's not the best RMC?" the answer is "An RMC."

Great update!

This ride looks awesome. Once this thing opens I think you can make a strong case that Kings Dominion has the best coaster lineup in the chain after Cedar Point. Even if this is one of the weaker RMCs (and I doubt it will be), an RMC in the same park as the world's most intense giga coaster, probably the world's best floorless coaster, Volcano, Flight of Fear (which I love and find infinitely smoother and more enjoyable than the Kings Island version) and a bunch of other solid rides (like Avalanche, Grizzly and Backlot) sounds absolutely great.

I agree...this looks like the addition that KD really needed to boost an already pretty damned good lineup into a seriously awesome lineup.

Good thing is that this opens before SV, so it can build a name for itself before SV gets all the hype.

How do you know?

Also, agreed that FoF at KD is much, much smoother than FoF at KI. Also, as far as Arrow loopers go, I enjoyed Anaconda more than Vortex.

You honestly think this is opening in May?

Well it's not Steel Vengeance but I guess it may be o.k.

Why is there a need to compare Twisted Timbers and Steel Vengence? They're both RMCs opening in 2018 yes but there is no point in letting a larger faster longer coaster overshadow another one. I'm not going to ride Apollo's Chariot at Busch Gardens and be bummed that it's not Intimidator 305 or El Toro. If you constantly think about how much better coaster x is than other coasters it makes the hobby a lot less fun for you. Just ride coasters and have fun.

Good thing is that this opens before SV, so it can build a name for itself before SV gets all the hype.

How do you know?

Kings Dominion opens at least a month before CP does. This year KD opened March 25th and CP on May 6th. So as long as it opens with the park (and there shouldn't be any reason it won't), it will open first.

Why is there a need to compare Twisted Timbers and Steel Vengence? They're both RMCs opening in 2018 yes but there is no point in letting a larger faster longer coaster overshadow another one. I'm not going to ride Apollo's Chariot at Busch Gardens and be bummed that it's not Intimidator 305 or El Toro. If you constantly think about how much better coaster x is than other coasters it makes the hobby a lot less fun for you. Just ride coasters and have fun.

This!!! So much this!!!!

I'm still kinda curious why this project didn't debut in 2017? I'm not complaining at all, it just seems weird that RMC had no major projects conversions in 2017, and now they have a handful for 2018. It's probably just when Cedar Fair decided to order the projects, or maybe it had to do with the new trains? It doesn't really matter at this point, but I was wondering if there was any rumblings about this?

I'm so pumped to finally have an RMC less than 3 hours away.

100% this! A lot of enthusiasts spend so much time comparing every coaster to every other coaster they have been on that they completely forget just to have fun. This is one reason why I do not rank my coasters.

It does make me wonder when was the last time Cedar Fair sent the bigger, better to a park other than Cedar Point when multiple Cedar Fair parks were getting something announced at the same time. But at least it's not Michigan's Adventure.

100% this! A lot of enthusiasts spend so much time comparing every coaster to every other coaster they have been on that they completely forget just to have fun. This is one reason why I do not rank my coasters.

I agree 100%. Too many spend too much time comparing. Coaster vs coaster; park vs. park.

I always knew Hurler had the potential to be a killer layout if the roughness was smoothed out by someone like RMC. Happy to be vindicated. Steel Vengeance looks insane too, but be happy a garbage ride is being replaced by a great ride at both parks, everyone.

I always knew Hurler had the potential to be a killer layout if the roughness was smoothed out by someone like RMC. Happy to be vindicated. Steel Vengeance looks insane too, but be happy a garbage ride is being replaced by a great ride at both parks, everyone.

Hurler was a good ride for its first season, but it beat itself to death (along with riders) as the years went by. So, I agree that the layout, when worked on by the right company, is a good one.

Hurler was a good ride for its first season, but it beat itself to death (along with riders) as the years went by. So, I agree that the layout, when worked on by the right company, is a good one.

I thought that the first season the lines were too long for it to be anything but a bit of letdown, however while I did like it my companions did not (or maybe that was also the wait time), so it was much later before I rode it again. The lack of popularity was a big factor in learning to ride it, and while I would never want to ride row 2 again, I ranked it at least as high as their other woodies and consider the insanity of it far more memorable. The new ride will probably be better overall, but it will never convey any aspect of a wooden coaster that felt like it was about explode into a million pieces. It will keep the aspect of the layout that the average speed is high compared to the peak, which is good.

As to aging, I think it was just too much for them. It was the late-comer that never fully met expectations and it probably got less maintenance than the others, despite wanting more. I know just before the last time they did track work and before they put the whopping huge trim brake on it (and slowly bled the giveacrap out of me concerning it) I was thinking it would be unrideable within a year if they didn't do something.

040.jpg

Remember one of the old "Turns of Pain"?

Actually that picture was of the last curve and was not only not painful but one of the best curves ever built. It *felt* like the track stretched until about 2/3 of the way through the curve and then it sprung back and launched you out its exit. I was hoping that at least one of the original, flat, intense curves would remain just smoothed by better track, but with the higher drop and speed perhaps it would be too much -- but if that's true, how is there an inversion in the middle of the second turn?

I was hoping they'd somehow turn the first curve into a wave turn what with taking out the original structure all the way to the footers, but I think at the rate they're going all 3 low-to-the-ground turns will get that treatment. I do like there's one and only one reverse-banked curve at a really identifiable spot.

I hope we all can talk about the new ride without beating up on the old Hurler. Or at least I hope I can resist typing something into this thing every time the inevitable occurs. Sometimes it seems like people have more fun bashing a coaster than actually riding them. Yes, I know we just ride coasters for fun, but still when an enthusiast says something that they should know better it just makes them look bad, in my eyes.

Flight of Fear (which I love and find infinitely smoother and more enjoyable than the Kings Island version)

This was a couple pages back, but I'm curious about this. I've visited Kings Island twice in the last three years and really loved Flight of Fear there. I thought it was really smooth and a blast, especially riding in the front. It has been probably 17 years since my last visit to Kings Dominion but I want to make a trip out to it in the next few years, timing probably depends on what that tall thing is that BGW is building.