TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Winner faces "The Hurler" next year.

Loser actually goes the way of the Hurler next year. Which makes me sad The Anaconda chickened out.

I'll wait for the expansion franchise known as Iron Hurler or whatever they name it.

For those who do not know, the immersive elevator coaster is basically a vertical lift hill (like a lift), but with a dome theater around the train. The dome theaters give a similar sensation to VR, but it is more immersive, as you do not have any lagging for head movements, it is higher quality and there is no headset. At the top, the train is released from the lift, and the ride continues. The coaster aspect is managed by S&S.

That's how it's marketed, sure. Really it's just a flat projection on a hemisphere, which will: a) contain no depth cues and will not be convincing or immersive at all and b) will be a parallax nightmare with anyone not sitting in the center seeing an extremely warped perspective.

Lag is really not the issue for VR (in the common gearVR format) anyways.

Yeah, I'm at the park now. Saw the wood while up on the Eiffel Tower this morning, but I could only get a glance of the steel parts through the bushes. Nice to see how much is being done! BUILD THE HYYYYPE!

The advertising for the app is quite interesting. There are huge boards with said coaster's mascot, along with stats. These things are huge too. I'd post photos, but my data's low, so I'll post them later.

For those who do not know, the immersive elevator coaster is basically a vertical lift hill (like a lift), but with a dome theater around the train. The dome theaters give a similar sensation to VR, but it is more immersive, as you do not have any lagging for head movements, it is higher quality and there is no headset. At the top, the train is released from the lift, and the ride continues. The coaster aspect is managed by S&S.

That's how it's marketed, sure. Really it's just a flat projection on a hemisphere, which will: a) contain no depth cues and will not be convincing or immersive at all and b) will be a parallax nightmare with anyone not sitting in the center seeing an extremely warped perspective.

Lag is really not the issue for VR (in the common gearVR format) anyways.

Well, it is obvious you have not been in a Holovis dome projection theater. After doing two dome theaters, and three VR concepts at Holovis, I have to say, the more immersive ones were the domes, however saying that, the VR was of a stunning quality. I rode a dune buggy simulator in a dome theater, and it was actually seriously scary, due to the fact it was completely immersive. The issue with the images being warped is not an issue. Even from the outside, looking into the dome, the images do not look warped. This concept is also more efficient than VR, as no cleaning needs to be taken place, or getting something strapped to your face. It also does not take away from the coaster aspect of a coaster.

I, for one, am really excited to see this become a reality.

We just got back from the park on Sunday and I must say, It was Fantastic! There was hardly anyone there and the ride ops would let you stay in your seat for a re-ride if no one was waiting for your seat. We got multiple re rides on Grizzly, Rebel Yell, 305, And even, yes, Volcano ! We had hem hawed about going to BGW or KD and finally decided on KD because of the food and beer/wine/liquor fest. Smart move! Rebel Yell has a lot of new wood and boy oh boy can you tell. The new wood was smooth as glass but when you hit the old wood, Major ouch! Loved the ejector Air time after the turn around. Like I said, so many re rides without leaving your seat had to make it one of the best park days I have ever had. Now onto the food and of course LIQUOR ! Way better than the regular food options, Fave was the Duck sweet potato popover dish. I love duck and this was soooooo good, I went back for a second dish. Also fantastic was the liquor flight from the Copper Fox Distillery. 4 Super strong pours of a gin mule, rye manhattan , single malt blackberry thingy and an un barreled bourbon drink with fresh mint and ginger slices. OMG! Did the Liquor flight twice it was so good. Once for lunch and once for dinner. No pics of the rides just the yummies! Hey, we've all seen them. Also, Because it was cool for us floridians, I wore my Pulse Orlando shirt. No homophobia at all during the day. In fact, a lot of employees and guests gave us thumbs up and even stopped us to talk about it. Kudos to the Cedar Fair employees for being so nice, in light of someone elses' not so good experience at another CF park. I just love this park ! now a few pics.

845169321_0521170813-00(1).thumb.jpg.fbca0bfb85ab44f95daedfe0c15de289.jpg

getting ready to ride !

0521171222-00.thumb.jpg.a4fe7b1ad99520398fbdb58d6836ddcb.jpg

liquor ,chicken and meatloaf

0521171242-00.thumb.jpg.9c198958f72f18fa916f47192174b127.jpg

flounder and crab mac n cheese bad pic

873427031_0521171657-00(1).thumb.jpg.e57337679b8916f78604b3ec5d539340.jpg

the omg duck had to do twice

So this one dude on Facebook claims that the #KD2018 announcement date will be August 17.

Now I know that he's most likely full of crap (and has been talking to the Dippin Dot's guy too much), but just in case, has anyone heard about this date?

image.thumb.png.872d2819007028bef394b5026297ed09.png

I was wondering if it might be even earlier, so I don't think that's unlikely. Parks can use some free publicity early June or last 2/3rds of August. While an announcement may cause some to wait until next year, I'm convinced that it also gives the park a short-term boost immediately (and that I305's announcement drew in more people than actually opening the thing).