Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT BGA Discussion Thread)

P. 779: Tigris Coaster for 2019...Better news for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT BGA Discussion Thread)

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:15 pm

^ I wouldn't think that you would have any issues with big lines tomorrow, Monday and Thursday anyway...most likely not enough to warrant the Quick Queue as it's not a holiday, weekend or peak season.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you end up with walk-on's for everything with the exception of Cobra's Curse and Cheetah Hunt.

Postby bert425 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:32 pm

^ that's good to know. . I wasn't expecting "Disney sized" crowds, but figured it would be busy due to summer and kids out of school.

but if it's light crowds (especially if due to heat -- which we Texans are used to and don't mind). .it will make the day even better, ride-wise (the I expect the heat will make animals hide).

I'm thinking SeaWorld on Wed might be busy, only because that's in Orlando. . . but we only plan that one day there, since Nick won't ride *any* of the coasters there.

but he IS looking forward to Cheetah Hunt and Cobra's Curse at BGT
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby djcoastermark » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:51 pm

The Crown Colony is now called Serengeti Overlook I believe. Good choice for a relaxing meal. The buffet has always been good to me. Also i's a good choice if it rains. or you need a good cooling off. Dragonfire is ok too. It's more of a food court and will get really busy if it rains. For a snack, get the bacon pretzel be Falcons Fury, its yummy.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby rcrider4 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:09 pm

The lines will be smaller on weekdays, but definitely don't go expecting walk ons. Expect 15-60 minute waits for most things. Also, IMO the pizza pretzel is far superior to the Bacon Pretzel Fury. Both are still good tho.

Postby bert425 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:02 am

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback!
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby bert425 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:51 pm

Full report when I get back, but just a quick update on 1st afternoon. .we made great time, had a good flight, got the car and checked into hotel easy/peasy, and even got to BGT by 3:30 pm. .. so a good 5 1/2 hours to work with on the 1st day.

as we are waiting for tram, I notice nothing has run the entire time since we pulled into parking lot. I asked the tram guard and she said they were shut down due to lightning in the area.

Sun was out, but there were some clouds around, so no big deal. . we went to Serengeti pub to eat something (and peeked into the full restaurant buffet on 3rd floor -- we're doing that for lunch tomorrow). . . the Pizza was acceptable, but the flatbread pulled pork was quite good. Heck, the fries were good! Nick ate them, and he almost never eats fries.

after watching the giraffes from the deck, it was almost 4:30 and everything was still down. So we walked over towards the train, which seemed to be running. . .and were told that they had just shut that down. (poop).

there was a lot of thunder starting at this point, but we decided to make the best of it, and watched the Penguins, then went the Gorillas & Chimps (the chimps were hiding inside from the thunder, but the Gorillas were out and having a grand old time). We also went into the "myth" cave, and enjoyed (and took lots of pics of) the bats, the Bush Babies, and all the other cool animals there. Then went next door into the "ambassador" animals section, and saw all the babies and the dozen or so flamingos -- so that was nice.

as we came out of that it was close to 6 already, and the train had started the engine up again, so we asked and told it would be 5-10 minutes, so went ahead and rode the train (lots and LOTS of animals out and about, I guess because the cloud cover had make it not quite as hot).

While on the train, pretty much all the coasters started testing, and by the time we made it back to the Nairobi station, everything (including Falcon's Fury) was running. . (two excptions - the skyride NEVER even had buckets on it, and the flume when we passed it was drained) so we bee-lined it to Cheetah Hunt. Fairly short line, less than 20 minutes, but we got a ride in. . operations were fantastic. The were loading 2 trains at once (which I assume is standard, based on the station set up), and they were just flying thru the short line.

after getting off, we decided instead of doing CH again, we'd go to Cobra's Curse -- which was showing a 30 minute wait, but not much of a line. We got to the room with the mural (and good for BGT for giving lots of stuff to look at for the theming, to keep the crowd entertained). . . when they made an announcement that storms were in the area and the ride was shutting down. (now we were inside, in the cool air (yay), and couldn't see, but from what we heard, it POURED for a while. . . and although we were C-L-O-S-E . . hell, after some folks left we actually ended up at the loading area. . .we could see the rain slow to a drizzle.

We stuck it out until 8:30, and then lots of lightning started again, so we threw in the towl and headed towards the front gates (stopping for Mango Smoothies, and frosted cookies (hey, I needed the sugar).

but we never made it even out of the Egypt area of the park, except for on the train. . . we just stayed around there so LOTS of walking tomorrow (w/ 1st stop being Cobra's Curse and Montu, before the safari)

on the way out, a BGT employee asked us if we had time to do a survey, and I joked that they didn't want to ask US, since our total ride count in 5+ hours was the Tram, the Train, and Cheetah Hunt. . .but I didn't hold it againt them, since they can't control the weather and we DID enjoy the animals we looked at. . so the time was well used.

I noted we would have stayed for Kinetix, but since all the rides had been down almost the whole time we had been in the park, that I was pretty sure they weren't gonna do the fireworks. She said she'd go check, but as of 10 minutes earlier, they were going to.

she went and checked, and came back and said "yeah, the fireworks are on still". . and it was 8:50, so we turned around and went back into the park (much to Nick's chagrin) and went to Gwazi park to watch "Kinetix"

the musical portion is VERY "cruise ship". . but the acrobats were all quite good, and the jumprope team is impressive as hell. . . and yeah, the fireworks near the carcass of Gwazi were enjoyable -- so we ended the night on a great note (and now tomorrow don't need to go to the show and can do rides, assuming no rain again, instead).

full trip report when we get back, including the other places we're hitting. . but just wanted to get the thoughts down (and hey, the Courtyard Marriott has free-use compters in the lobby -- one of the reasons we like staying at this chain) :)

I am stupid.

Postby I love pie » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:20 pm

BGT has been my home park for a decade, and I love it. It's easily my favorite park. Here are some pictures I took during my visit on New Year's Eve.
SAM_1380-1.JPG
SAM_1384-1.JPG
SAM_1377.JPG
SAM_1378.JPG
SAM_1389.JPG
SAM_1391.JPG
It was packed so we had to park on the grass.
SAM_1422.JPG
SAM_1430.JPG
SAM_1405.JPG
SAM_1407.JPG
SAM_1443.JPG
This tree is beautiful.
SAM_1454.JPG
This tree is beautiful.
SAM_1447.JPG
IMO this is the best place to eat at BGT.
SAM_1449.JPG
SAM_1479.JPG
SAM_1482.JPG
Kumba is my favorite ride in the park.
SAM_1459.JPG
R.IP Gwazi
SAM_1478.JPG
If you look very closely you can see Kumba's cobra roll
SAM_1493.JPG
Falcon's Fury at night was crazy.
SAM_1494.JPG
SAM_1491.JPG
I wanted to ride scorpion a few times but sadly it was closed. I was going to ride Montu , again but the line was too long so I just went home. It was a very fun day.

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:52 pm

Great pictures, I miss Montu and Kumba so much. A BGT trip may have to appear in my near future.
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

Postby prozach626 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:28 am

Awesome pictures of Montu. . .Glad you had a good time!

Postby bert425 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:25 pm

djcoastermark wrote:The Crown Colony is now called Serengeti Overlook I believe. Good choice for a relaxing meal. The buffet has always been good to me. Also i's a good choice if it rains. or you need a good cooling off. Dragonfire is ok too. It's more of a food court and will get really busy if it rains. For a snack, get the bacon pretzel be Falcons Fury, its yummy.

still in Tampa (headed home tomorrow). . but just a quick update of where we ate:

Busch Gardens:
Serengetti Pub (for a light lunch on the 1st day) -- servicable, but only so so pizza - tho the Flatbread Pulled Pork was very good.

Serengetti Overlook - EXCELLENT food on the buffet (the Fried Chicken, the fried Fish, and the Jambalaya were absolutely stellar, and the rest of the offerings were good to great). Nick wasn't hungry enough for the buffet so he had the Chicken Breast Salad (the salad was decent, tho the chicken was a bit dry. . and the waiter made up for it by bringing Nick one of the Buffet Deserts, carrot cake, which Nick really liked). Also, you simply can't beat the view. . and the air-conditioned dining room wasn't very full. . guess folks don't want to pay $18 for a buffet, but seriously, worth every penny.

The Bacon Pretzel by Falcon's Fury was just as amazing as promised, and we had the meatball version at SeaWorld, and it was just as good.

Garden Grill (I think that's what it was called). . . we had this today, and it was the pizza buffet. Reasonably priced, with so-so pizza. Not my favorite, but what Nick was craving, so we went there. The place was pretty deserted, but the staff told me the restaurant is open daily, and that they are always dead now, since Gwazi isnt open next door to drive the business. The chicken Parmesan was pretty good, and the Meatballs were decent. Again, for the price it was an ok choice, but no where near as good sa the food elsewhere in the park.

we passed up DragonFire Grill, since absolutely nothing on the menus appealed to us (I guess it just caught us at the wrong moment).

we also shared a pulled pork platter from Zambia Steakhouse, and we did find it very dry. (The one from Serengetti Pub was *much* better).

off-site we went last night to a local chain called "Shells" that's close to the park, and it was really, really good. A seafood restaurant that's a throwback to the 70's (with classic AM rock music playing, a giant bar in the center, and a hostess stand that looked like a rowboat!). Seriously, this place looked like it hadn't been updated since it was built, and it was "old school" fish cooking. . we loved it. The Blackened Salmon was good, the fried clam appetizer , and cheesey seafood dip appetizers were good, and Nick said the clam chowder was super rich and among his top 5 he's ever had. . . so if you go to BGT, an evening trip to "Shells" is worth it!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!