TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

I sort of feel like this park is no longer in the business of adding additional costs when it's in any way avoidable.

Obviously there are plenty of people here that visit more frequently than we do, but it seems like at this point they almost always stick to one load station on Sheikra and Cheetah Hunt on days when we've visited the last year or so (except for super busy days like Howl O Scream nights) even though Cheetah Hunt's line has easily exceeded 60 minutes multiple times on some of the days we were there when they cut that second station.

I'd bet money that if they get one of these it will be the same as Tempesto and Electric Eel and honestly I think that will be perfectly sufficient.

I personally don't really see why BGT would need another muli-launch, single-inversion, ~60mph, LSM coaster. Especially when compared to Cheetah Hunt an SRII is less long, has a significantly higher height limit (48" vs 54"), a lower capacity, and is simply less fun. An SRII wouldn't really add any substantial features that the park doesn't already have.

But none of these applicable reasons stopped BGW either, so I could very well see it happening.

Williamsburg didn't have a major thrill coaster with a launch, so Tempesto filled a need (I consider Verbolten more of a family ride, but a dang good one).

Sure Cheetah Hunt has a launch and a barrel roll as well, but I don't think anyone will look at the two rides and get them confused. The ride experiences are different enough.

I will never understand why theme park nerds feel the need to always bitch and complain whenever one of these Premier coasters are announced at a park. They are a fun ride, the capacity never seems to be as bad as people make it out to be, they take up almost no room, and everyone seems to love them, including coaster enthusiasts. It seems to be a huge win for all parties.

Is it that theme park nerds feel they *NEED* to constantly complain about something and this is just an easy target? I honestly don’t know, but it’s super annoying.

I guess we’ll find out soon enough what they really are building.

Edited by robbalvey

I will never understand why theme park nerds feel the need to always bitch and complain whenever one of these Premier coasters are announced at a park. They are a fun ride, the capacity never seems to be as bad as people make it out to be, they take up almost no room, and everyone seems to love them, including coaster enthusiasts. It seems to be a huge win for all parties.

Is it that theme park nerds feel they *NEED* to constantly complain about something and this is just an easy target? I honestly don’t know, but it’s super annoying.

Tempesto was a blast when at BGW last year. The world needs more of these. They should buy four and put one in at San Antonio too.

Tempesto was a blast when at BGW last year. The world needs more of these. They should buy four and put one in at San Antonio too.

I could totally see it happening. It makes sense if the rest of the parks have them (Besides SWO). No complaints here, they're like the Batman clones to me, the more, the better.

Come on now, Robb. You're acting real brand new to this "Theme park nerd" thing.

I love the Premier Skyrockets. I am also amazed how fast that they can get people through the queue as well,

Tempesto, at least every time I've ridden it, had the second-longest wait next to InvadR. The comfort collars on the SWP&E installations really slow down loading.

I've always thought they looked pretty fun, and are a cool concept personally.

Will be in BGT in 36 hours, any food suggestions while in the park? Ideally a "real"/good restaurant, or really anywhere that's not the typical park fast food. I assume there's good places at a park like this. Deff excited!

Just a few questions since I'm heading to the park for the first time on Wednesday May 15th! (I'm super bummed Kumba is closed when we are there!). We are just there one day and the park is open 10-6.

Do I "need" to get quick queue while I'm there?

Where is the best food in the park?

What ride should we head to first when the park opens?

Is there anything we shouldn't miss in the park?

Thanks for any info!

Will be in BGT in 36 hours, any food suggestions while in the park? Ideally a "real"/good restaurant, or really anywhere that's not the typical park fast food. I assume there's good places at a park like this. Deff excited!

The Zambia smokehouse near Sheikra. I'd tell yall how to find it, but you'll smell it.

Do I "need" to get quick queue while I'm there?

What ride should we head to first when the park opens?

Is there anything we shouldn't miss in the park?

Thanks for any info!

I was just there Tuesday of last week with my kids, and we hardly waited for anything all day. Just Cobra's Curse first thing in the morning (because Cheetah Hunt was broken down at park open, and naturally everybody then went to CC), and Cheetah Hunt later in the day after it had opened. Every other coaster was pretty much a walk on. So no, I would definitely not get a Quick Queue in advance, and I'll be shocked if you had to get one once you got there!

That smokehouse Boldy mentioned sounds good, but what we loved there were the stuffed pretzels, and particularly the Bacon Twisted Pretzel! I got the recommendation from those here, and it did NOT disappoint!

Assuming it's running, I'd definitely go to Cheetah Hunt first, because that did seem to be where most people headed, and the line does back up quickly. After that, I'd hit up Cobra's Curse, which is not too far away.

Don't miss Kumba... Oh wait... (Sorry, probably too soon! )

Seriously though, I would be sure to take the train ride on a complete circuit, or at least from Stanleyville to Congo, as you get to see all of the animals on the "Serengeti Plain"! Hitting up the sky ride is a nice way to get a great view of that as well, and I know coasterbill would approve!

I hope you guys have fun! We sure did, and BGT continues to be one of my favorite parks to go to!

Well if the 30 minute drive from the gate to parking lot is a sign of crowds to come might as well get fast pass now lol or they need to expand that road from 2 lanes to like 5. Got here 1045 and it's about to be 1145 when i enter the actual park. Also gotta say, non enthusiast friend screws me again lol as always they had no motivation or care to be here at opening sooo now it's near noon... sorry to say I can't go to parks with non enthusiasts it's just too inefficient, of time and money.

I love the Premier Skyrockets....

Same! The ejector air in the front row cresting the tower is AMAZING!! Not to mention that rather forceful punch the backwards launch provides!! Oh, and the hangtime in the sllllllloooooooowwwwwww zero g-roll...

Such a amazing coasters! I would love to see these things make their way to more parks, and would happily welcome one at BGT!!

Well if the 30 minute drive from the gate to parking lot is a sign of crowds to come might as well get fast pass now lol or they need to expand that road from 2 lanes to like 5. Got here 1045 and it's about to be 1145 when i enter the actual park. Also gotta say, non enthusiast friend screws me again lol as always they had no motivation or care to be here at opening sooo now it's near noon... sorry to say I can't go to parks with non enthusiasts it's just too inefficient, of time and money.

I don't mind going with non-enthusiasts as long as they listen to me because I know WTF I'm doing usually . Back in October the family all came to visit on a weekend and wanted to go to Kings Dominion...............on a Saturday.......in October. My sister was like "lets get there at opening!" I was sitting at their house at 11:30 annoyed because half the house wasn't showered yet and I knew every minute that went by on a Saturday in October that an astronimical amount of people were walking into that park. Place was a complete nuthouse by 1pm and the family was like "we'll get there the roller coasters aren't going anywhere!" no but those lines are getting longer!

So the day was pretty good. Falcons Fury was closed as was another flat which was a good bit disappointing as I wanted to do that one, but oh well. Park was beautiful as would be expected. Kumba was deff my favorite coaster. I think I expected a fun rise but your standard B&M 7 looper. Oh no, was forceful as hell, and despite being 25 was still quite smooth. I mean no real headbangin or anything. Controversial statement: I may pur Sheikra #2. Montu was fun. Back was more forceful than front, which I found a bit lackluster, but idk Sheikra I enjoyed more. Some good air on the drops and it was better than I expected. Cheetah Hunt, eh. Was fun. Didn't expect much so guess it met that. The front gave me some solid air on the Hill, back gave some on the first drop. Wasn't real fast feeling but it was a fun ride. Scorpion was what I expected, glad it's still around. Cobras curse....yeah even w low expectations that was pretty lame. Id say its not a great park for soloing, there's not a ton of stuff and when 2 rides are closed it felt like a big blow, and it's so large tough to hop around. I basically did each coaster 3 times in a row then moved on. With all the space felt like some wasted time walking. Great park for a chill day with friends, not for high efficiency soloing but I should a figured that. I was very glad to see they didnt mandate lockers and still had cubbies in the station. Was deff a nice park. Would love to go again with some friends.

Controversial statement: I may pur Sheikra #2. Montu was fun. Back was more forceful than front, which I found a bit lackluster, but idk Sheikra I enjoyed more.

While I prefer Montu more (and Cheetah Hunt), my daughter had ShieKra as her favorite coaster at BGT, and I think my son preferred it to Montu as well! It's definitely a really good, and fun coaster, so there shouldn't be too much controversy over preferring it to Montu, especially if you aren't a big fan of the intensity of B&M Inverts.

I was very glad to see they didnt mandate fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo and still had cubbies in the station. Was deff a nice park. Would love to go again with some friends.

My kids and I really noticed this, and commented frequently on our recent vacation to Florida, which involved hitting Carowinds on the way down, and Kings Dominion on the way back up. All the Florida parks we went to (BGT, SWO, both Fun Spots) were great in their use of cubbies or bins to make buying a FFBFWM&G not mandatory! Whereas, Cedar Fair is all about the mighty dollar, and clearly is not putting small shelves or bins on any of their new coasters, in spite of plenty of room to do so. While I love CF for many things, this continues to be something (in addition to the FL system) where I feel they have let financial exploitation get the better of them... But hey, if I was running a park in RTC, I'd probably do the same! Capitalism, baby!!!

Hi All, i will be in Florida for a year for some military pilot training. Planning to do some parks during my time here.

So i'am planning to go to BGT next Friday, 4th may. Can somebody give me any info about what to expect for queue times? (Saturday 5th is also an option, but i think that day is a lot more busier, altough the park is open till 8 PM...)

Hi All, i will be in Florida for a year for some military pilot training. Planning to do some parks during my time here.

So i'am planning to go to BGT next Friday, 4th may. Can somebody give me any info about what to expect for queue times? (Saturday 5th is also an option, but i think that day is a lot more busier, altough the park is open till 8 PM...)

May the 4th be with you!

Controversial statement: I may pur Sheikra #2. Montu was fun. Back was more forceful than front, which I found a bit lackluster, but idk Sheikra I enjoyed more.

While I prefer Montu more (and Cheetah Hunt), my daughter had ShieKra as her favorite coaster at BGT, and I think my son preferred it to Montu as well! It's definitely a really good, and fun coaster, so there shouldn't be too much controversy over preferring it to Montu, especially if you aren't a big fan of the intensity of B&M Inverts.

I was very glad to see they didnt mandate fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo and still had cubbies in the station. Was deff a nice park. Would love to go again with some friends.

My kids and I really noticed this, and commented frequently on our recent vacation to Florida, which involved hitting Carowinds on the way down, and Kings Dominion on the way back up. All the Florida parks we went to (BGT, SWO, both Fun Spots) were great in their use of cubbies or bins to make buying a FFBFWM&G not mandatory! Whereas, Cedar Fair is all about the mighty dollar, and clearly is not putting small shelves or bins on any of their new coasters, in spite of plenty of room to do so. While I love CF for many things, this continues to be something (in addition to the FL system) where I feel they have let financial exploitation get the better of them... But hey, if I was running a park in RTC, I'd probably do the same! Capitalism, baby!!!

I love an intense B&M invert, Batman the Ride still the best! If anything I had the opposite issue, I expected Montu to be more forceful than it was. I think it simply is an older, hyped up coaster so having ridden it for the first time now, after having been on the likes of I305 and Skyrush, El Toro and Wicked Cyclone, it cant help its simply not the same level.

Not that any of that is a knock, fun ride!

Kumba though, holy crap.

Yeah I had a few year gap when I didn't really go to parks, so when I started again with SFNE, CP and Universal I was like whoa what is this lock up stuff?? Since it seems to be the norm now, was very pleasantly surprised to see it not be an issue of Busch.

Its minor but actually was a big thing for me, it just added enjoyment not having to hide stuff in pockets, stash it in a bush, travel light and generally have to think about it. It was nice and gave me that old school feel.

Oh I totally get it. This is a business, I get that. They are not places for us enthusiasts, they are businesses and run as such. I have never bashed that or held any other notion.

BUT also doesn't mean we have to like it!

See, I don't even have an issue with the idea of having to lock up big stuff like backpacks, stuffed animals, and larger items that clog bins, and slow load times even more. However, having a little shelf, or netting (like Manta has for instance) for small things like glasses, cell phones (if you want to risk it), wallets (again, if you want to risk it), and maybe even big enough for drink bottles (like the Fun Spots), is a very reasonable courtesy, and shows you're not simply trying to make a buck.

Just purchased a set of 4 two park passes with dining passes (to do Seaworld Orlando and Busch Gardens Tampa) for my family beach trip the week before Memorial Day (May 21-26). We are gonna Sea World first, and then BGT a different day.

I guess they changed maintenance dates? Kumba was slated to be down pretty much the whole month of May and was due to come back online May 25 (coasterbill pointed this out to me a couple months back). I see now its just down for less than 2 weeks. I'm excited about that as I was worried that I wouldn't be able to ride that coaster for my visit if it wound up taking some extra time.

Anyways, thank you guys for posting a lot of recommendations these last few pages as far as places to eat and where to sit on the coasters. I have noted a bunch of it!

Only 3 weeks to vacation. I'm counting down the days. I'm looking forward to Kumba the most, with Mako second.